Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Kuntry Gurl

Re: Project: Ramathorn

What about a 33 des?

even thats pushing it. thats what i have and honestly i wish i stuck with the 31's. I also have aftermarket rims and they have some offset but its nothing insane and that definitely helped the wheel bearings wear out prematurely. its a poorly designed front end and everybody knows it, except dodge...they seem to think that there are acceptable "wear tolerances" for balljoints and tie rods. anywhere else in the automotive universe if theres play in a joint it needs to be replaced.

I am with Des on this one. Having a Dodge HD with 35s on it I can speak from experience. i am on my second set of ball joints, I upgraded all the steering links and track bar and installed the steering box brace. As I have been replacing I have always upgraded. I used the RedHead box instead of the ridiculously expensive Borgeson one which you also have to use their steering shaft, $1100 for them both!!! I have a Cummins which is already taxing on the front tend due to the weight, but the Hemi may be more forgiving. Good luck with your build!
    - BLOKE -

That's some good info, I might pass on 35's then, at least until spring if I decide to throw more money at this truck. Also, the stock tires are 265/70 which is 31.6x10.43" so it already has 31's from the factory.

I was also doing some lurking on Dodge forums and a lot of people have been running 12.5 wide on stock wheels using 1/2" spacers and they only rub with a 35 on full lock but I see what you mean about bearings and ball joints, trying to make it last the winter here haha.
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 10-17-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy_Des View Post
    except dodge...they seem to think that there are acceptable "wear tolerances" for balljoints and tie rods. anywhere else in the automotive universe if theres play in a joint it needs to be replaced.
    Kinda like "That's acceptable valve tick, that's acceptable knock, that's an acceptable amount of coolant to be burning - the head gasket is designed to leak a little bit"

Oh dodge.

Was in my buddys garage changing all 4 ball joints on his dodge last night for the 2nd time in about a year and a half. 35's on 20's and a 6 inch lift. A bit of a joke if you ask me
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Please tell me he put the carli joints in it...

My plan with the new truck is run the stockers until they're worn and then drop 800$ for lifetime warranty. They claim it's the last set you will ever use.

I don't understand why people modify their stuff and get upset when it doesn't survive. When the suspension engineers designed this stuff, do you think part of their requirements were that people would put 35's on the truck with offset wheels and go wheeling? Absolutely not! They have cost targets to meet, assembly requirements, durability tests to pass (based on OEM tires), and so on... Personally, when I design or modify suspension, the very first thing I need to know is tire size and wheel offset (as well as packaging restrictions). People going bigger is the exact reason aftermarket companies exist (and also why vehicles like Raptor's exist).

And I know what I just said makes me sound like I'm against modding trucks.... But anyone that knows me, knows that I'm not at all against it! It's just frustrating when I see people significantly change the design of something and then they complain that it doesn't work properly anymore.

Also, side note, I'm not trying to start a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge war or anything like that.... But why do you think Dodge's have started selling really well in the last 10 years or so? Short answer; PRICE! How do you think they got their prices well below Ford and Chevy?

Okay, I'm done with my rant now! Congrats on the new project, I like that it's a 5 speed. Keep us posted on the progress.
    Last edited by Mud-Nut; 10-17-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud-Nut View Post
    I don't understand why people modify their stuff and get upset when it doesn't survive. When the suspension engineers designed this stuff, do you think part of their requirements were that people would put 35's on the truck with offset wheels and go wheeling? Absolutely not! They have cost targets to meet, assembly requirements, durability tests to pass (based on OEM tires), and so on... Personally, when I design or modify suspension, the very first thing I need to know is tire size and wheel offset (as well as packaging restrictions). People going bigger is the exact reason aftermarket companies exist (and also why vehicles like Raptor's exist).

And I know what I just said makes me sound like I'm against modding trucks.... But anyone that knows me, knows that I'm not at all against it! It's just frustrating when I see people significantly change the design of something and then they complain that it doesn't work properly anymore.

Also, side note, I'm not trying to start a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge war or anything like that.... But why do you think Dodge's have started selling really well in the last 10 years or so? Short answer; PRICE! How do you think they got their prices well below Ford and Chevy?

Okay, I'm done with my rant now! Congrats on the new project, I like that it's a 5 speed. Keep us posted on the progress.
    Trust me i am not disagreeing with you and im not trying to start a war either. This particular truck is an 07 half ton. My other friend drives a 2012 ford with a 6" 35's and offset rims and has never touched a front end part with 70 000km on the truck. I am not brand loyal by any means.. It just seems people with lifted dodges cant turn a corner without blowing a front end component. It seems as if they are made cheaper and the price reflects that. He put the lifetime warranty moog ones in last time so this time
    it didnt cost him anything. Just the annoyance of having to change them.
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

I get what you're saying serge, but this is a dodge specific problem. They didn't even engineer the suspension properly from the factory. You can't tell me that a plastic cup on the lower ball joint under a 7500lb truck is engineered right. It may be sufficient to get units out of the showroom but it's not right.

I'm just letting this guy know the can of worms he's gonna open if he goes that route and how to avoid it.

XRFs?

Yeah, I don't know how to truck, this is my first one ever so all of this info is extremely helpful. I was actually wondering why the front end was a bit lose and figured its ball joins, its good to know.

I got a battery today at Canadian Tire, it was on sale and has a 6 year warranty so YOLO, apparently the "fully charged" batteries aren't so fully charged, didn't even come up at a full 75% when I put it on the charger curtasy of Dorkage.

The stock stereo also won't turn on and I checked fuses, reflowed the head unit, changed the power button.. Nothing worked but the lights come on so it gets power

Picked up this little guy, it was $20 off but they only had an open box as the last one so he knocked another $10 off and threw in the dash kit and harness for free.

Stereo still didn't work so I checked the fuses again, turns out there's a second magical fuse for everything that didn't work so I changed that, oil pressure gauge works, interior lights work, key remote works for locking and unlocking, power locks work and the rear door that wouldn't open decided to open.
    Welded the exhaust back together yesterday and the check engine light is gone too so it must have just been the second O2 sensor.

I just need tires and it should be good for safety as soon as I can get it in for an appointment.
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 10-17-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Track bar is probably fucked too.

Yeah, the more reading I do, the more I can't figure out how Dodge sells anything lol. These are apparently known areas to service yearly, ball joins, track bar joint, tie rod ends, sway bar links, and steering box, and then on top of that you need specific high molybdenum oil because it leaves a graphite type film on the lifters to get rid of ticks, its also highly suggested to toss in a bottle of coolant leak block because the head gasket slowly leaks lol. I drove around a lot tonight and after a few hours I started to smell coolant when I googled that little gem of info.

Internet's tells me Lucus Oil Oil Stabilizer is extremely high in molybdenum so I'll grab a bottle of that tomorrow to see if that does anything, I haven't found the Internet's choice for what "leak fix" they add to the coolant to reduce the coolant burn so I'll wait a bit on this.

It's kinda funny, its like the Volkswagen of trucks, the issues are just hilariously random.. Like a radio fuse being the problem for the door locks not working..

Good update! It's nice to see all the little things getting fixed.

I get what you're saying serge, but this is a dodge specific problem. They didn't even engineer the suspension properly from the factory. You can't tell me that a plastic cup on the lower ball joint under a 7500lb truck is engineered right. It may be sufficient to get units out of the showroom but it's not right.
    I've never taken a close look at these trucks, so I'll take your word for it!
    I was more less trying to stick up for the manufacturers, but Dodge may be own it's own here.

I'm just letting this guy know the can of worms he's gonna open if he goes that route and how to avoid it.
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by bgodin23 View Post
    It just seems people with lifted dodges cant turn a corner without blowing a front end component. It seems as if they are made cheaper and the price reflects that.
    We are on the same page.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast