Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Kuntry Gurl

Re: Project: Ramathorn

Thumbs up! And I'm not dissing cheap LED lights because it's not "cool", it's just a honest road hazard to everyone. IMO amber turn signals are always ideal, corner of my eye I'll have better odds seeing it than the brightest red turn signals. But yeah, what you're doing is going to be good. I got into an accident about 3 years ago because a buddy of mine bought aftermarket LED tail lights on his motorcycle (Hayabusa, to make matters worse) and when we installed them, I told him that his braking lights and turn signals (which were magically all in one lol) were absolute crap and I wouldn't be able to see him braking. Well sure enough, about a week later I'm in downtown Ottawa and this cab driver is cuts me off in my own lane about to smash into me so I turn into the right lane and my buddy was in front of me. He had a yellow light which I did not see due to paying too much attention to the cab not hitting me, and my buddy slammed on the brakes which I did not see until last second and I hit him from behind. Nobody was hurt and I just slightly knocked him off his bike sideways but needless to say, his bike was a write-off. I did get a custom front end when I got my car repaired though lol But yea, it's amazing how these LED tail lights are created with just really shit quality and for the money people spend on them.
    Last edited by Mitsubaru; 12-23-2014 at 02:38 AM.

Ben is also planning on building his own LED array tails with me. But that's a shhhh-secret.

I'm going to pretend like exist didn't spill the beans..

I forgot to upload a picture of the finished tail lights installed so I snapped this one this morning.
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 12-24-2014 at 04:02 AM.

that truck is like 50 feet long.. jeeeesus..

It's actually 22' long, but close enough lol

Were you driving around tonight on PA area with HID yelllow lights>? IF so, looks good.

My fogs are yellow but it's just tint over the stock housing with the bulbs that came with the truck and I don't turn my headlights on, I just leave the day time running lights on because people won't stop flashing their lights at me when the stock halogen lowbeams are on.

However I was driving around all over last night, I was making a cold start video but it started like nothing, I was pissed lol, I was really hoping the Canadian Tire battery was going to give me trouble because it's was like -45 with the windchill but nope, that genius charger cranked it up real good.

But anyway, it could have been me driving around if you seen just the fogs, they are pointed up higher so may look like HIDs, but more at headlight level which is why I use them and not the headlights because it's too cold to be aiming lights right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Wiring question, I'm kinda stumped right now, no sleep makes the brain.. not.. worky

As anyone who knows me well enough knows that I love CREE lights and at every chance I put them on everything, so I'm going for flush mounted rear bumper ones for auxiliary reverse, and a curved light bar to go in the front bumper as an auxiliary high beam.

Now normally this would be easy as I can just use the highbeam ignition wire as the switch and reverse ignition wire for the reverse ones, but I also want them on a switch so I can turn them on manually when off roading at night just so I can see around me better.

I have two options, a normal on/off switch but I think with that option, if I flip the switch, won't it also turn my highbeams and reverse on? or is that good? To my understanding, if I have the reverse wired up so the reverse positive lead triggers the flush mount CREE's then if I have a switch to send power to the CREE's then won't it also send power to the reverse turning those on too? I think it would, I can't think right meow.

My second option is some kind of on/on switch if that's even a real thing, so say the switch is wired to the reverse lights, lets call this "switch down" so when I go in reverse, the CREE's also go on, then "switch up" would be another on setting to just turn the lights on manually.

I can't figure this out right now, any input would be great so I know what to start looking into

Relay plus switch. Use the high beam wire as a trigger to the switch and the switch to trigger the relay which triggers the lights. That way you can have your factory settings and flip a switch and the aux lights turn on but turn off automatically when you turn your highs off. When wheeling you don't look behind you unless you're in reverse 99% of the time

A relay a switch and 2 diodes then you can activate it whenever you wish and not backfeed into eachother, I made a diagram on paper , and converted it to paint WITH GRAPHICS!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

oh and for your headlamps/high-beams its the same diagram just replace the selected sources. If you need the diodes I have them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails relay diag.jpg  
    Last edited by hafast; 01-06-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Decent diagram haha, thanks for the help guys.
    Decided to polish my headlights, currently have one finished and tossed in some new bulbs since I had the headlights out.

So this is before

500 grit

800 grit

3000 grit

Buffed
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 01-08-2015 at 02:02 AM.

I figured its about time I have reverse lights..

You can see this is where it shorted out and melted inside the case

The CREE's I got also don't fit, but we'll come back to address this issue later.

So first, we got some pretty sweet corrosion happening on the bulb

I'm going to say it's a moisture problem lol

After some chipping away at the clumps of arced rust, the ground trace just broke into dust

So out came the drill and took off the heads from the plastic rivets.

There are clumps of rust melted to the housing, going to have to clean this up.

Here is the bulb that was in there vs the CREE that was sent to me.

I haven't had reverse lights since I got the truck, for safety it had one used bulb that burn out a few days later and the drivers side never worked because of that short, so rather then paying return shipping and add more cost on these stock tails, I'm just going to make them work.
    Pulled the pins up straight

After pulling the base straight off, you can see how to bridge the positives together so its a regular on off bulb and not dual wattage because they sent me the wrong one.

Now as for the base, it doesn't fit in the housing, and since these lights can't seem to get any more ghetto, I no longer care for their factory function so these CREE's are being hard wired in

Now that the mystery bulb base is glued in and aligned perfectly straight while the additional height of the CREE is compensated for, I can sand down the corrosion off the contacts so the bulb can be soldered to it and new leads solders off where I can then attach them to the existing traces where its still good.

Got it all soldered up, new leads soldered on to replace the missing traces

Filled it up with hot glue so its all sealed from further corrosion.

Soldered the new leads to the existing traces where they were still good.

Test fire, works like a champ!

Mmm, CREE output, delicious.

Now, I just gotta do the other side, and then get them all back together and fully sealed so this doesn't happen again.

While screwing around checking voltages I crossed two contacts and popped the fuse, good thing I don't have any handy, going to pick some up tomorrow and then start on the passenger side.

Got it all buttoned up and working, much brighter, even with the tinted lens.
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 01-17-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Truck looks awesome man! Its nice to see all that hard work payed off. I seen you driving around the other day. I love the wheels.
    The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it.
    Dudley Moore

I agree. Looks good and wheels look nice on it too

Thanks!

So, drunken online adventures resulted in the purchase of a 42" curved combo light car, 3 module spot beams and 2 module floods on each side.

Anyone know where I can find a DRB3 tools to set the BCM to US so DRL don't work? I wanna hook the trigger wire on the light bar relay to the highbeams but because the truck uses undervolted highbeams as the DRL the light bar would be on all day until I turn my lights on..

So its either manual light bar switch, or find a shop that has access to a DBR3 programmer for Mopar vehicles.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast