Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: I found a new Android Camera App, I had to tell someone!

I found a new Android Camera App, I had to tell someone!

So, pretty well every photo I take and post on here is from my phone, its a Canadian Varient Note 3 (SM-N900W8), its rooted and running CyanogenMod 11.

Now I have always been using the Google Camera app because of its features over the stock AOSP Camera app. The only draw back is the Note 3 is 4K and neither the stock AOSP Camera or the Google Camera support 4K right now.

During my searches I found two apps worth looking into, technically three but we'll get into that.

First is Open Camera, its free, has lots of features and support 4K recording for phones that support it, so if you're looking for something better then stock then its worth checking out.

But, I'm making this thread because of these two apps called Camera FV-5 and Cinema FV-5.

These apps are unreal! The layouts aren't too technical so you don't get over welmed, they have crazy settings like live view contrast adjustment, they also have overlay crop guides so if you plan on editing to 2.35:1 for that cinema look you won't crop out what you were shooting.

The best though is the output, I took some night shots on the Note 3 in 16:9 at 2.1MP (1080p) using Google Camera and Camera FV-5.

Google Camera at Full Digital Zoom.

Camera FV-5 at Full Digital Zoom.

You can see it does zoom more despite the fact that digital zoom is garbage, but the point of this is to show clarity from a far, keeping in mind both photos are shot at 2.1MP, next is a further comparison of clarity with the Camera FV-5 app so you can really see the difference.

Google Camera at Full Digital Zoom

Camera FV-5 at Full Digital Zoom

You can really tell the low light difference as you can see most of the front yard in the Camera FV-5 photo vs barely making out the door on the house with the Google Camera.

Now, Cinema FV-5 also supports Mono or Stereo mic input, as well as external mic options or even Bluetooth mic options with variable audio codecs to really get the absolute most these Android phones can offer. You can also adjust your bitrate and frame per second too.

Google Camera only allows you to choose resolution which is fine for a Nexus that its optmised for, but the Note 3 has the ability of 30FPS at 4K, 60FPS at 1080p, and 120FPS at 720p. The Google Camera limits it to 30FPS 1080p, 30FPS 720p, etc. This is where Cinema FV-5 really prevails for allowing different frame rates to shoot even clearer videos as well as the option to enable Optical Stabilization for phones that support it, so no more earth quake videos!

I would advise any Android Camera junkies who use their Android phones as their main camera to give those apps a try, they have a free limited version of both but after playing with them for about an hour I decided to buy both, it was well worth it for how many photos I take and how drastically it improves the images and videos.

Links:
    Open Camera
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rge.opencamera

Google Camera
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera

Camera FV-5 Free
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.camera.lite

Camera FV-5 Paid
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.camera.pro

Cinema FV-5 Free
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.cinema.lite

Cinema FV-5 Paid
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.cinema.pro
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 12-05-2014 at 01:57 AM.

Re: I found a new Android Camera App, I had to tell someone!

Wow. That's a huge difference, especially without any hardware upgrade. I still have the S3 but I'll give it a shot and see if I notice a difference since my camera isn't 4K

I bought it, Jesus it's complicated !
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Thought you were about to drop the helicon remote link to control your slr with your phone. Cool app that one is. .

Who even uses dslr's anymore... Lol

OK I started using this app. I have lollipop 5.0 and only a google photos album. I can't figure out where my pics are going.
    FUNCTION >FORM

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

The default folder is 100_CFV5 for pictures and 100_CINE for videos. In the settings for each app you can select the default save location and just set it to the stock camera location, that's what I did so all pictures and videos save in the same place as the Google Camera.

You can also download a different gallery viewer from the PlayStore, there's quite a few.

CyanogenMod Gallery is pretty neat, I still prefer the stock AOSP gallery but it may be worth looking into.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gn.gallerynext

Or this being someone's release of the stock AOSP gallery for non-AOSP phones
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...radcam.gallery
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 12-11-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Google+ Photos isn't all that bad, I would just say not finished. They took editing to a whole new level with it by intigrading the filters and what have you from Googles SnapSeed app, so now two apps are in one saving internal storage and time.

I'll look into it, see if there's any directory preferences

Solution:
    Open Google+ Photos (I believe its just called Photos)
    Tap the menu icon in the top left (the 3 slats)
    Tap on "On Device"
    It now shows all folders with images or videos present, your FV5 folders (100_CFV5 or 100_CINE should be there.
    ????
    Profit

Another suggestion, if you didn't buy Google Drive storage (I suggest it because I'm an asshole and hate scaling photos down) you get 15GB of online storage, if you set up auto backup it'll store all of your photos online for "free" but only until your 15GB is used up.

However, they give unlimited online storage for photos 2048x???? Or smaller and there's a setting you can choose in your Google+ Photos app to change your auto upload from full size to 2048x so all of your online photo storage is free, videos still take up space on your Google Drive.

Tried all of that. Nothing worked so I just deleted it. I really wish I hadn't done the lollipop update.
    FUNCTION >FORM

You can also download a file browser like ES File Manager, and then navigate to /sdcard/DCIM/100_CFV5

Or like mentioned earlier, just change the directly in the app to the default camera location.

Also, you can tap the little play button on the left aide of the Camera FV-5 app and it should ask you what application you want to view your photos from.

Senior Member test

Quote Originally Posted by MiniD1CK5 View Post
    Tried all of that. Nothing worked so I just deleted it. I really wish I hadn't done the LOLLIFLOP update.
    I have heard lots of problems with Loliflop such as especially WiFi and battery. Did you update to 5.0.1 or whatever patch came out?

Yup the 5.0.1 did nothing, it's laggy as hell and apps crash all the time it's very frustrating.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Have you tried a fresh install? Not an update? Every time a new M build of CM11 is released for my phone I always back up using Helium, move everything to my external SD, and then wipe the phone and install the new version so non of the old crap will be on the phone or have any compatibility issues.

I would suggest doing that, backing up with Helium or Titanium Backup, save all your crap to Google Drive or back it up to a computer VIA USB (I'm assuming you have a nexus so you don't have the option for external storage), and then restore the phone to factory settings

I believe CM11 M12 shouldn't be to far off from Official Android 5.0.1 so for me I would go to Settings, under Personal, I tap Backup & reset, then Factory data reset, then the Reset phone button and it's pretty straight forward, it'll delete everything and when it restarts you'll set it up like a brand new phone, once it's set up, toss your Helium or Titanium Backup backup onto the phone VIA Google Drive or USB, whichever your previous choice was, and then download the Helium or Titanium Backup app, select restore, and restore all your app data and everything from you last left off should be there ready to go.

I do this same process with every release of every operating system for every computer, always clean installs, I never just let it update because then it keeps all the crap from every previous version and runs slower then hell.

My Mom's old Galaxy S3 was so slow and unusable, she got it brand new with Android 4.1.1, updated to 4.1.2, 4.3.1 and then 4.4, phone was so slow she would have to sent multiple texts because the phone would crash just from typing too much in one text. She bought an S5, restored her S3, after the restore it was working so good she didn't even need her new phone. It's all those updates that kill it, one install at a time, I've never had issues with any of my phones because I never update, always a fresh install.