power locks
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: power locks

power locks

Hi

I recently bought back my old car (2006 mitsubishi lancer) and am starting to fix some of the issues here and there.

Right now the power locks and the car starter aren't working. That includes the door buttons the key fob or the double key twist to unlock all 4 doors.
    I think this is going to be a tricky one to figure out, if the 2 problems are combined, being electrical and all.
    I have checked some of the obvious simple solutions already, fuses, batteries and even took the door panels off to trace the lines for breakage.
    I can't seem to find a starting point.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be awesome. I don't know if these problems would be linked together or not seeing as the car is a standard and the process to arm the starter uses the unlock and lock buttons. The power windows and mirrors all still work. Just the locks are giving me big time aids.

any thoughts and help are appreciated.
    thanks guys

Re: power locks

How about relays? And did you have the car started on when you sold the car or did the previous owner install it?

I have checked all the relays I can see. Unless there's some hidden under the dash somewhere. I had the stater installed when I purchased the car.

hmmm. maybe it's just a programming issue that you'll have to bring to the dealership. If not that, maybe a hood switch? Because aren't the car starters not supposed to start when the hood is up? Maybe that sensor is damaged or something may be giving it a false signal that's your hood is up. Have you been in any fender benders lately?

cars clean. I remember when I had the car the locks went before the car starter did. That's why I'm hoping there 2 different issues. I could just not be arming the starter the right way. It's been awhile since I've been in this car. I really want to avoid bringing the car back to either the dealership or the install place. I just assume they'll play the blame game on each other and I'll get stuck with the bills :p

I sold it to my sister 3/4 years ago with 100,000km and they just gave it back with 112,000km and lived with the no power locks for those 12,000km

I'm sure you would of tried a second remote already if you have one and a fresh battery in your fob. Are any commands on the fob working? It really sounds like a programming issue and your fob might need reprogramming. What make/model is the car starter? Check online for a pdf copy of the manual, at the very least you'll know if you're performing the arming sequence correctly.

When you had the door card off,did you try throwing 12v straight to the lock solenoid? Or is it all 4?

Same with the door switches. Some cars are wired so if one door switch isn't connected then the button won't work. When I did a speaker install I went to put down the passenger window from the driver's side. Didn't work. I had to reconnect the switch on the passenger side.

In the MK3 all the locks wouldn't work because the wires for the drivers door were all cracked right in between the door and the door jam, I had to pull the rubber sleeve back and solder the wires all back together.

Second, all the locks, the alarm, and the Windows in the truck wouldn't work when I got it, looked under the dash and the aftermarket remote starter that was installed was a big melted clump of wires, so I ripped all of that out and fixed all the wires and now everything works again.

I would check in the door jams to see if that wire cluster has any cracked wires and if that's fine the. Check under the dash where the aftermarket starter was installed, also, on the melted harness from mine, there was two relays connected to it so those could also be bad.

Either way, you gotta grab a hot drink and start hunting wires.
    Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 12-09-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Might check the engine fuse box to see if it has and IOD reset fuse, I had something like this not too long ago. pull the fuse let it sit, 1 minute, then replace and try, if its an aftermarket unit like a starter/door-lock combo you may have a Bypass that functions via data that is not programmed properly, That is if you power door locks work with the switch but not with the remotes.

If the power door locks don't work in the door its probably shorted wiring like what was wrong with my truck, did you check under the dash on the drivers side?

The cars power locks don't work whatsoever. I've switched all the fuses and checked the IOD fuse. I know that my starter is for sure not programmed right now with all the jiggering I've been doing.
    even with the starter fob not working you think my power locks should still work right?

I've checked the wires between the doors and there fine. the starter unit under the dash is also clean. the wires are all fine. nice and neatly tucked away actually.
    I cant locate any other relays under the dash yet. And the ones I did switch/check are fine now.

I did have the car lowered back in the day on some bunk stock shocks and tein springs. I must have shaken something loose somewhere :p

Our roads will do that, I've seen little fuse holders in line with the power wire for the remote starter before, maybe there's one tucked away? That's what initially melted all the wires on mine, the fuse holder was just a blob of melted plastic.

I think there's also a little box for the immobilizer too, try cracking that open, moisture can kill those