Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMSOIL updates

AMSOIL updates

So I'm a new AMSOIL user and ever since using it I have noticed a significant difference in my wallet (in a good way), I feel that the engine runs smoother and in the cold months, definitely easier start ups. Plus all of the other benefits that they have in their products. So, I know a few members here have turbos and high performance engines. So here's an update from AMSOIL about their Signature Series oil.

http://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/auto...series-excels/

And as for this engine coolant boost, I've never tried it but seems promising and I'll probably give it a shot in my winter beater and see how it goes.
    http://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/all-...warm-up-times/
    Last edited by MarcGSR; 03-23-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: moved from General to Performance

Re: AMSOIL updates

I'm an amsoil dealer and have been running it in my car for a while now. I can't say I can feel a difference but we'll see what the engines insides look like soon.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Well I guess I should point out that I switched from 5W-20 (which is dealer recommended) to 0W-20 in my Lancer and I noticed that it definitely operates a little smoother. My Lancer is a 2009 and all the newer ones now run with 0W-20 from the dealership, so maybe it isn't the AMSOIL itself making the difference that I feel but regardless, last summer I put about 12,000 kms on the engine with AMSOIL oil and filter and the oil was still pretty cleanish and I didnt' lose/burn off any oil.

I switched from 5w20 conventional from Acura to 0w20 synthetic, and I changed my tranny fluid from OEM Acura crap that's probably never been changed to RedLine D4 semi racing automatic transmission fluid and I gained about 10mpg on highway runs

Yeah I switched from OEM to Red line Synthetic in my tranny and wow, huge difference in shifting gears. Night and day, same with the shitty civic beater. I brought it to Mr. Lube (civic) and the guys drained the fluid which I'm assuming was since never at 232,000 kms lol The second the oil poured out everyone looked away and was like "WTF is that smell!" It was pretty nasty lol But since replacing the fluid with synthetic, I believe it was red line for the civic, huge difference in shifting. But I kept conventional oil for the engine, no point in wasting money on synthetic when I'm burning a bit of oil with that car.

I've not heard the best things about Redline transmission fluids, mainly that feel amazing at first but then they wear out rather quickly and will possibly damage synchros. I saw a test of different brands of oil, I will have to look it up. You also can't really compare really old oil to brand new oil, that's like comparing tires and saying new tires perform better than old tires IMO, of course they will.

I'm surprised no one really does oil analysis if they're so worried about how the different oils are affecting their engines, if at all. The only other person I've heard of doing an analysis is Marc.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Yeah, the next time I"m going to get Amsoil synthetic manual transmission. But I'd like to know how synthetic oil burns or wears out quicker than conventional oil? they have higher flash points and have a strong molecular bond than refined conventional oil.

I just meant the Redline brand in specific
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

No I know. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but the people saying that it's worse than conventional oil, were they backing it up with facts? The synchros being damaged I guess could be true, maybe for older manual transmissions where synthetic oil might be too "fluidy" compared to conventional so it might need bulkier or thicker oil to last longer or something. But it definitely won't wear down faster unless they're lying about their products.
    That's what I like about Amsoil, they don't go to main stream retailers ( if they do it's not much) and they have plenty of info and tests done on their products. Even though it's independent research, no other oil company does this. I get monthly AMSOIL magazines and they always test their stuff in different ways, machines, engines, and all that. Pretty cool company and history behind them too.

I know you said you got an oil test done recently, which oil did you use and which filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    You also can't really compare really old oil to brand new oil, that's like comparing tires and saying new tires perform better than old tires IMO, of course they will.
    Yeah, you'd probably be better off just changing your fluids/oil more frequently then going out of your way to buy expensive oil. But if you want to, by all means. I mean as long as you stick to changing your oil on a regular basis you should be fine no matter what you're putting in there. I run Royal Purple (because you can get it on sale at Canadian Tire & Part Source) and a K&N oil filter. I had a TBN test done once after 7,500km and it came back with wear additives still remaining. With that being said, I choose to change my oil around 5,000km.

I made a slight mistake. While I mentioned I've heard quite a few people having issues with the Redline wearing out quickly in their transmissions (M3s), which is still true, I was actually thinking about Royal Purple for both transmission and diff oils, which I've read is even worse.

I've always run the OEM fluids since I've had no issue with them but quite a few M3 owners have reported problems with both redline and royal purple in their transmissions and differentials, with royal purple even causing premature synchro wear and diff failure. I believe it had to do with royal purple advertising the wrong spec for the vehicle to begin with along with poor characteristics of the oil in general. I know with the diff fluid some people have reported an increase in whine as well while using anything other than OEM but it may be because the OEM fluid has a friction modifier added to it and it's a slightly odd type of LSD to begin with. With M3 owners there's always a big debate over the use of OEM fluids vs aftermarket.

This is the test I was talking about: Gear Lube White Paper.pdf (download), Gear Lube White Paper (web view)

My engine has seen nothing but the OEM spec oil, Castrol TWS 10W-60, since it left the factory and just OEM (Mahle) filters and it shows normal wear.
    Last edited by Nabs; 12-12-2014 at 12:48 AM.

I use oem friction modified Honda trans fluid but have never analyzed my transmission. I don't think you can ever go wrong with oem fluids unless you have serious modifications.

Every motor will respond a little differently to brands of oil. From my last two analysis running Royal Purple, they've come back with excellent wear characteristics. That's not to say a different brand would be slightly better or worse. I'm sure running what ever is on sale but sticking to a regular maintenance schedule would yield the same results, on my car anyway, I can believe that some vehicles like M3's can be a bit more particular though. Do some research on bobistheoilguy.com or spend the $25 and send it in for an analysis to really be sure.

Ok, you both bring up some good points. And do you guys do your oil analysis locally in town? How much does it cost? And I'm assuming you do it after an oil change?

Luckily I'll be keeping my Lancer relatively stock other than air intake. But I have a K&N intake which in theory the oiled filter should be filtering out more dirt than the oem filter I had. Better HP gains?...they claim so but I don't think so. But it does sound nice

And Nabs, that report...AMSOIL for the win! And yeah, I think this summer I'm going to convert straight to AMSOIL for my manual transmission and for my differential. Redline sucked ass. Thanks for that.

For oil analysis I send my samples down to Blackstone Labs in Indiana, http://www.blackstone-labs.com

Normally they charge $25 USD for a single analysis or you can buy them in bulk for about $20 with a minimum order of 6. You can actually order the sample kits for free, it's just the analysis that costs you. I always do it when I do an oil change at the end of each year but it can be done at any if you need.

They also explain what the results mean and highlight if there is something out of the ordinary and to watch for it. They can also tell you if you can lengthen your oil change intervals or if you should shorten them based on the properties of the oil seen in the analysis.

I attached the last two results from my analysis if you want to check it out
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05+M3-100913.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	3284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05%u00252BM3-110514.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	3285

Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely check it out. That's pretty cool. I'm assuming you pay for shipping as well right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast