Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems starting car. Quick advice or opinions!

Re: Problems starting car. Quick advice or opinions!

I've been using the G3500 for 3 years now and it works pretty good when i need a slight charge or just to tend the battery over the winter
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

When I got my brand new battery for the truck, the first thing I did was set it down with a that charger Clutched posted that I borrowed from Dorkage. The brand new batter didn't even read 75% charge, the truck cranks like a champ now that I charged it to 100%, I love those chargers, I never want to use anything else lol.

It charges it to 13.7 volts so even if it's at 12.5 it'll read as 75%. My battery always reads 50% before I connect it but I've never have problems starting my car and the dealer diagnostic software even shows that the battery is only at 11.5V before I start up the car, not sure how that works...

Either way it's a pretty good charger and worth it when it's on sale, I think I paid $50 for it
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Well looks like I'll be purchasing this G3500. So basically, it just tops off the battery with a full charge thus providing a longer battery life?

Quote Originally Posted by MITSU View Post
    Well looks like I'll be purchasing this G3500. So basically, it just tops off the battery with a full charge thus providing a longer battery life?
    If you look up how alternators actually work, and how a lead acid battery charges, you'll see they don't compliment each other. Alternators now a days just runs the vehicle, battery is just there to start the vehicle. That's fine in a nice climate, but here because it get's so cold and the capacity of the battery gets lower in the cold, constant starting of cars with just relying on the alternator to charge the battery will eventually get you a dead battery that doesn't have any capacity anymore.

I've had lots of people argue about this, saying "my car had a dead battery last winter and I boosted it and it's been fine." They never seem to get that if the battery was dead in the middle of winter for no reason, then the battery wasn't being charged.

I went through three batteries in two years because of this. Once I learnt that I can't rely on my (140amp!) alternator to charge my battery, I got a Noco G7200. I just plug my car in every night it's cold. I actually prefer it over the coolant heater. Even at minus 30 my starter spins as fast as it does in the middle of the summer when I have that battery topped off.

Word of warning. A lot of the older style "trickle" chargers don't have any regulation in them, and once the battery is charged, the output voltage of the charger can go as high as 18 volts, since the battery isn't putting any load on the charger. I believe a 12volt lead acid battery boils around 15volts. The Battery Tender, Noco, Schumacher and many other brands of battery maintainers have logic inside to insure the battery doesn't boil, even if they maintainer is connected all winter.

TL;DR: Get a Noco Genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

Ya, I leave my g3500 on my battery all winter and it once it charges the battery it just holds the it at around 14 volts

Ok so since my cars are outside, I'm guessing I'll have to pop the hood and connect it to the battery and then when I go to use the car I'll just disconnect everything, put down the hood and then I'm good to go? So realistically, I'd be doing this maybe once a week just to top up the battery?

Also, it does show that their encasing is "rugged" so I'm assuming if it's out in the rain, snow or what not it won't be an issue? Sorry for all the questions I've just never used one these before.

I'm thinking i may bolt the eyelets to my battery, and just dangle that plug. Then when I am ready to charge, just connect that plug to the charger. That why I won't have to pop my hood and clampy clamp the terminals and spend unnecessary time in the cold.

Amazon.ca has them too.
    http://www.amazon.ca/NOCO-G7200-7-2-...&keywords=noco

http://www.amazon.ca/NOCO-G3500-3-5-...&keywords=noco

I have amazon prime, so if you want fast shipping give me the cash and I'll get it ordered with free two day shipping.

My only advice it to headshrink the strain relief on the quick connect. Mine has developed minor cracks in the plastic over the wire and will corrode soon. I'm sure the heatshrink will be more than enough to make sure that doesn't happen. Ask around, a lot of members know where to get good heatshrink with glue inside for a 100% seal.
    Last edited by dorkage; 12-20-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

yeah I'm going buy it on Amazon.ca since I have Prime as well. Man, maybe I can get another 2 or 3 years out of my Lancer battery with this thing. I keep being told that it's almost impossible that my original battery is going to be 6 years old without any issues. I think if I ever have to replace the battery, I'll definitely be buying it from the Mitsubishi.

I love this forum. I've learned so much from all of you guys.

Just a quick update, I purchased the Genius G3500 from Amazon.ca last night. After all the info you guys gave me, I noticed that my battery for my Outlander is a Napa battery..definitely not OEM. So I'm guessing either the car rental agency who owned it before me either swapped out batteries , but I don't why they would do that. Or, Icarcanada either took the OEM battery and sold it for profit and put a shitty Napa battery in there? I dunno, but I've been noticing that the battery isn't that great so I'll let you guys know what the G3500 will read it at when I first connect it to the battery.

I'll have to confirm with the dealership to see maybe if Mitsu has been putting Napa batteries as OEM but I highly doubt that.

Napa batteries are usually decent from what I've been told. The majority of batteries sold in North America are made by Johnson Controls.

Yeah? Ok. Well it's not like the car never started but at times it seemed like the crank was a little slower than usual. So I'll find out what the charge is at shortly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12