Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: Evo and STI members...The new kid on the block (German style)

Evo and STI members...The new kid on the block (German style)

http://www.autofocus.ca/cars/mercede...45-amg/reviews

Not so long ago, it used to be that if you aspired to owning your first performance car, you would lust after a Volkswagen Golf GTIor Subaru WRX STI.
    Or, if you were truly deranged, you wanted a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo.
    Those are machines for young hooligans. They promise speed and power and instant celebrity (at least among your group of nerdy car-loving friends). These cars have wings. They have stickers. They have strangely-coloured alloy wheels which clash with the paint.
    Recently, premium automakers like Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi decided they want a piece of the My First Performance Car market. They charge a significant premium, but offer higher quality interiors and more luxury.
    From Mercedes, we have this little monster: the 2015 GLA 45AMG.

Pros & Cons

• + Interior materials
    • + Sharp handling
    • + Styling

• - Transmission
    • - Ride comfort
    • - Value for money

• Walkaround

If you gave your 10-year-old nephew a pack of markers and told him to draw the Awesomest Car Ever, he would probably hand you back something that looked like the GLA 45. Overkill just wasnt enough for this kid. He comes from the MOAR! school of design.
      If you find it distasteful, you will be happy to know the red-striped rims, sticker pack, and rear wing are all optional. Strip all that away, and the GLA 45 actually looks like a relatively subtle performance car especially compared to the highly-winged Subaru and Mitsubishi.
      Certainly, an all-black GLA would look less out of place in the parking lot of a law office than a blue and gold Impreza STI.
      7.1VERY GOOD
    • Interior

Think of the GLA as the more practical version of Benzs baby sedan, the CLA. The GLAoffers very similar interior space, with the added benefit of a hatchback trunk and a bit more ground clearance. (Very useful on deeply-potholed city streets.)
      The interior is of a surprisingly high quality for a budget Benz. The carbon trim looks decent, and the leather feels just as nice as it does on an E-Class.
      6.3GOOD
    • Tech

AMG takes the regular GLA and fits lowered performance suspension, aggressive bumpers and side skirts, a chrome-tipped sport exhaust system, 19-inch alloy wheels, performance tires, stainless steel pedals, a leather-covered steering wheel and the all-important red-painted brake calipers.
      The GLA 45 is also fitted with the 4Matic all-wheel drive system as standard. In normal driving, power is sent to the front wheels. Push harder though, and up to 50 percent of the torque gets sent to the rear.
      The infotainment system consists of a 4.5-inch colour screen mounted high on the middle of the dash, and an easy-to-use control-wheel type interface. We prefer this type of setup to the touchscreen systems currently on the market.
      6.5GOOD
    • Driving

The GLA 45 gets the same manic 2.0-litre turbocharged engine as the CLA 45. Churning out 355 horsepower and 332 lb-ft of torque, it is the most powerful production four-cylinder ever made. Certainly, its more powerful than any of its rivals.
      No, it doesnt sound as good as any V8-powered AMG, but it can slingshot the GLA from 0-100 km/h in 4.8 seconds.
      On the road, it never quite feels as quick as the numbers would suggest. Its quick, rather than downright fast. The ride is firm, but enthusiasts will put up with it because it ensures theGLA is the best-handling little crossover, well, ever. It doesnt do tail-out antics; rather, theGLA prefers to grip, and grip and keep gripping the road. It actually feels a bit like a hot-rodded VW Golf. You steer, and it goes there like its on rails.
      The only bit of the drivetrain that cant quite keep up is the seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox. Shifting gears with the steering-wheel mounted paddles isnt as snappy as it should be.
      7.2VERY GOOD
    • Value

Starting at $50,500 in Canada, the GLA 45 is significantly more expensive than the likes of the Subaru STI and VW Golf GTI. But, you get that big Mercedes badge, and a better interior.
      Our tester, fully loaded and including all those stickers and wings, came to $64,890.
      Its closest direct rival is probably the Audi S3 sedan, which comes in at $44,000. The BMWM235i only comes in two-door coupe form and is significantly less practical.
      Pricing for the all-wheel drive VW Golf R hasnt been announced yet, but this hottest Golf may prove to be the GLAs Achilles heel.
      4.0OKAY
    • Conclusion

The GLA 45 AMG makes more sense than its sedan cousin, the CLA 45 AMG. The extra practicality of the hatchback trunk makes it easier to justify, and its handling hardly suffers despite the extra height.
      Is it worth the extra cost over the Audi S3, or upcoming VW Golf R? If you really must have the most powerful car in its class, then I suppose it is. But for most people however, those less expensive alternatives would provide just as much fun.

Re: Evo and STI members...The new kid on the block (German style)

I'd still prefer an STI or EVO but it must be pretty fun and pretty fast to drive.

I keep getting surprised by how expensive cars are nowadays, but really - 50k doesn't go very far anymore.. Just for shits I just priced an STi tech with the "under spoiler" upgrades, wheels, and exhaust and it's 60k out the door.. An Evo MR with the lips and strut braces etc. is 63,300 out the door..

In comparison, a 235i M Xdrive is 53 out the door very, very well equipped.. Shit, you can get an Audi S4 for less than an STi/EVo..

That's why Toyota and Subaru are killing it with the FR-S/BRZ

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    I keep getting surprised by how expensive cars are nowadays, but really - 50k doesn't go very far anymore.. Just for shits I just priced an STi tech with the "under spoiler" upgrades, wheels, and exhaust and it's 60k out the door.. An Evo MR with the lips and strut braces etc. is 63,300 out the door..

In comparison, a 235i M Xdrive is 53 out the door very, very well equipped.. Shit, you can get an Audi S4 for less than an STi/EVo..
    Thing with the evo and the sti is you could probably haggle down on the price a fair bit where as the BMW and Merc good luck even getting them to fill the tank when you pick it up lol.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Yeah, for that 60,000$ price tag, I'd be very interested in buying a Land Rover Evoque. I know there wouldn't be as much performance but it's damn stylish and fancy lol I guess the best way to get an EVO or STI is to probably just get one that's a year old and you'll be able to knock off almost 10k off it. When I bought my 2013 Outlander last year, they go for 30k out the door, ICAR wanted 23,000 but I negotiated down to 19,000. It was actually less than a year old. I just kept going in every day, twice a day for about 4 days and they finally surrendered to my demands lol

Senior Member evolutionrevolution's Avatar

I can only imagine the cost of daily driving and routine maitence with a label like that but does look sharp haha I'll stick with the evo it still suproses me everyday driving in the different conditions

Like the cost of rebuilding an STi block when the ringlands fail? hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionrevolution View Post
    I can only imagine the cost of daily driving and routine maitence with a label like that but does look sharp haha I'll stick with the evo it still suproses me everyday driving in the different conditions
    I've never owned a Land Rover, but that one is only a 2.0 engine, turbocharged just like the evo. Maintenance should be the exact same as the EVO. That's of course if you don't get the maintenance done at their dealership but that's just like anywhere else. But the "fun" level would not be the same as the EVO, that's for sure. The Evosque is just to make you feel rich while driving down the streets lol But I'm sure I'd be a lot more comfortable in the Evosque than the EVO, since I'm a big dude.