Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Half in the Bag 89 240SX drift build

Re: Half in the Bag 89 240SX drift build

That ISIS KA24DE turbo kit alone is $1400 US and u still don't get everything u need..
    10 Land Rover LR4 HSE
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Senior Member test

The internet has spoken. sr20 with even bigger turbo.... And frank has one. So bro. Touch tips and make it official.

Well, it appears I've been over ruled so my hunt has been reassigned towards an SR20 now.. Or.. VH45?

I want to write so many things but I can't put myself to even read all of this.

Ka24de's are a very good upgrade over a single cam. For drifting a ka24de with 2 exhaust cams 248/248, decent header, 5* advanced timing and some 91 they are very peppy. Light flywheel and crank pulley make them even better. Also a 3" straight exhaust may be very fucking loud but you get a good top end gain from it. I know way too many things about KA's and know how to get the best out of them. I competed all last year with a ka24de with the setup I just spoke of and pushed stock s13 sr's around like it was nothing. Also coupes can be made to be very light, mine without sound deadening and everything was 2340lbs without me in it and a full tank of gas. Still had a dash, all both Seats, door panels a stereo and a sub lol.

This coupe is also a pretty decent base.

You want to drift it?
    Here you go.
    Coilovers, weld the diff, advance timing, get good motor mounts and trans mount, and get a proper alignment with GOOD front tires. This is the recipe for a good car. Also make it as light as possible. If you want to go a step further find a 4.36 out of a skyline gtst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power is not your friend when you are learning anyways a solid 120whp is more than enough to have A LOT of fun.

240 builds are awesome! cant wait to see it!

2003-350Z
    2005-Acura EL
    2000-Maxima
    2001-Elantra
    1990-Spirit

Ok so now I actually read the comments.

Sr20's are not as great as they seem. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I'm building a ka24det as we speak but I've done my research. I've also driven quite a few sr powered cars and a few Ka-t cars.

Here's my opinion. You are being too ambitious. And, nobody here aside from James and I really have much of an idea what to do with an s13 it seems. Please do not listen to everyone telling you to get an sr. Yes an sr will be good, yes it will be fun. But for the same price of an sr you can build a basic KA setup and it will have oodles more power. Stock s13 sr's have dyno'd at 175-180whp on a good day. My friends ka24de which had the same setup as mine. (Hot cams 248/248, header, 3" exhaust, advanced timing and 94 octane) dyno'd at 178whp.... And feels much nicer and more responsive than any SR. Ka24de heads are also far better than SR heads.

If you really want to build a ka24det. You can do it fairly cheap. Especially if you scower over zilvia twice a day lol. You don't need forged internals either. Stock internals will handle 300hp without a hiccup if you do it properly. Proper ring gaps, make sure everything is within spec and have the bottom end balanced. The head gasket is the weak point of them so Arp studs are a must if you are going to turbo a dual cam.

For reference my engine setup is a ka24de that I am rebuilding. I have clevite standard size bearings, oem piston rings, 2 exhaust cams which is the "hot cams" I was talking about which is 248/248. New brass valve guides, oem valve seals, ARP studs, oem head gasket, oem timing guides. As for machine work, balanced bottom end, shaved head within spec, valve guides changed obviously as I couldn't do that myself, and cylinders honed. The turbo setup I'm running is just a stock sr t25, full 3" exhaust from the turbo, n60 MAF (maxima), sr 370cc injectors, old ass hks intercooler that I mounted as a high mount setup, no blowoff valve, and enthalpy rom tuned ECU.

This setup with everything is around $3000-$3500. Not to mention tools I've bought, and gauges... That's another $500. So really this is a very basic "cheap" ka24det setup and it STILL will cost upwards of $3000. BUT I'm expecting to be making between 240 and 260whp on 10psi and it's still cheaper than a full SR swap which only makes 190WHP if you are lucky.

I know I ramble a lot and most of this probably won't make sense but yeah... If you have any questions about KA's please just ask me haha, I've been sleeping breathing and eating KA's in and out for the last 6 months.

Looks like I'm back on KA's lol
    I just like the idea of them being the reliable option when it comes to Nissans, plus the KA was in a few different vehicles so parts will be easier to find then SR stuff.

So, anyone know where to get a crank balanced?

http://youtu.be/gyPve_7LhQU < stock dual cam. This was before I put knuckles in it though which makes a very good difference due to having zero Ackerman. Also, you don't have to have the bottom end balanced. Ka24de's can handle their stock limiter all day long of 6800 but there is no reason to really hit it because even with a turbo setup unless you are running a t3 or bigger your peak power will be around 4800-5500 and then it will start falling off.

The point is, it is WAY better to have a solid car with a good setup and a low power motor than it is to have a high power motor with a squishy car and shitty setup. I see kids all the time being too ambitious with their motors and thinking they need 300whp before they can have any fun.

PS the video won't work on mobile because YouTube sucks.

Here's my issue with Using a DE. He doesn't have one already in the car like you did Dylan. So he has to buy an engine, ECU, etc already so why not get the sr which already is setup for boost? Even if the turbo is junk u can just toss another one of the millions of t25's on it or a gt28 even. You say the ka is good for 300 on stock internals but what's the sr good till? I just want you to list is point form the pros and cons between the two engines.

Also aren't the transmissions stronger in the sr or r they the same?
    Last edited by MiniD1CK5; 01-27-2015 at 11:28 AM.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

I'm ready to look into a VR6 swap at this point lol

Normally when you buy a KA they come with the ecu and harness because most people have pulled them to put in an Sr.

ka24de
    Pros
    More displacement
    More torque
    More power with the same size turbo/fuel
    Easier engines to work on
    Easier to find parts
    Cheaper parts
    $300 base price of buying one
    No rocker arms
    Solid lifters

Cons
    Heavy
    Doesn't rev much higher than 7000 without problems (but also won't make much power past 6000 anyway so this doesn't really matter)

SR20
    Pros
    Stock turbo
    Light
    Parts are easy to find
    Good high end power
    Love to rev

Cons
    Weak heads that tend to come apart due to rocker arms and 25 year old hydraulic lifters.
    Parts are more expensive
    Displacement
    Don't make as much torque

Here is also another thing to think about when you are thinking about ka24det over sr20det. When you buy an sr20det 9/10 times you want to replace all the exhaust gaskets along with other engine gaskets, clutch blah blah blah before putting it in. Yes you can get an sr20det for $2500 for a full swap but then you need intercooler, exhaust, rad, gaskets + + +. Sr swaps are hard to get done without spending $4000 now a days. And for the same $4000 you can have a freshly built engine with fresh gaskets everywhere a new clutch new exhaust new everything and also have more power.

Stock internals in both motors start having issues around 350whp of course depending on the tune.

Transmissions are the same, they are both weak and can't really be reliable past 250w/tq. BUT transmissions are cheap and can be had between $150 and $250 depending how patient you are.

KA's get a bad rap as being a truck motor and made in Mexico and blah blah blah. The 240sx ka24de block is made in Japan and the engine was assembled in Japan. There are quite a few differences between the truck motors and the 240sx motors including oil sprayers on the bottom of the Pistons and different cam durations. S13 ka24de's also are better stock due to having better cam duration 240/248 where as the s14 engine had 232/240 I believe. But either engine you can just throw in 2 s13 exhaust cams.

OK now James do a pro and con list as well.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

*eating popcorn*
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast