Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Request for Assistance: Bottom End Engine build

Request for Assistance: Bottom End Engine build

Eddie Here...

Just putting some feelers out there to see if anyone would be interested in helping me build my 2.0 CRVtec, someone with the knowledge I can leech off of. This will not be free of course I will pay you to help me do things the right way. (let me know a proper price)

I understand most things but I'm always afraid of making a critical error because of my inability to control my excitement sometimes.

I do not have any parts other than my b20 engine complete right now, but those will soon be coming, I'm hoping to have my civic as soon as my tax refund is deposited. I have most tools myself but the things I am unsure about and do not have the tools for are:

Vtec dowel pin drilling and tapping
    how to assemble rings on pistons
    how to install pistons to rods
    how to install bearings in the mains
    how to torque mains in the correct order
    BLOCK GUARD?

You may say... just take it to R&R and have them do it... well I'd like to learn this myself and I don't believe that they would allow me to do the bulk of the work or be in the shop to watch.

I may Disassemble the block and send it to be checked but I do not know if i should do that or just give it to them complete for them to disassemble it.

The plan is to install Parts from BRIAN CROWER
    BC5019LW
    BC6025 + JE199888
    OEM Honda Bearings
    ARP Fasteners

I want to learn!!!

END GAME will be after the rebuild is done I will pull my b16 out of the SIR I'm getting and swap IN the build bottom end. AND BE DONE WITH IT!!!!
    Last edited by hafast; 03-23-2015 at 08:58 AM.
    Twitch = Hafast_Tactics

Eddie @ The Power Centre Installations

OCOT: 14025146

Re: Request for Assistance: Bottom End Engine build

Buy a golden eagle LSvtec kit first off. Do not just drill out your block and use stock dowels. Nobody does that anymore. It will also come with the tap and plug you will need for your head.

To gap rings you need feeler gauges, files, sandpaper.

Torque specs for the head bolts and sequence can be found in a haynes manual or many places online.

Are you planning on putting new rod/main bearings in? If so why? And why would your pistons be coming off your rods?

Did you compression test the B20 ever? I dont see any reason it has to come apart.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

WOWWW... back the hell up. I just searched the part numbers you posted.

Why are you going with an aftermarket crankshaft? And pistons and rods that can support 700HP

What are your goals for this car? What engine management are you running? What fuel? What compression? Is this a daily driver in the summer?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________

If you are going forged internals you would be having your block punched out at least .020" to clean your sleeves.... Thats $450 ish all said and done, so dont forget that.

Sounds like you are trying to build a half race car, half daily driver that you want to build and forget about. Your priories and what you think you need and want dont add up.

You WILL need a professional tune if you change your crankshaft and compression. Also you will want to pick up GSR cams minimum for a B16 head on a B20. Also probably new valve seals, possibly valve job.

Going to be $4000-$5000 all said and done after machine work, parts and a tune... for 220 hp max?

You should just buy a B18C5 engine and trans... put that in and be done with it.

Or keep the B20 block stock, and bolt the head on and go.
    Last edited by Tremblay; 03-23-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

I've never heard of anyone ever going with an aftermarket crank on a b series, or any Honda for that matter. Tremblay is right just put the VTEC head on the b20 and be done unless you're planning to run 1200+whp......
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

for $4-5000, id do a k-swap
    10 Land Rover LR4 HSE
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

I dont really know anything about this stuff, but the block guards are more trouble than they're worth. At the most, get the ls-vtec kit and get the block honed and refresh the rings, bearings, gaskets, etc.. At that point you'll have a nice new engine and it'll feel great. No need to break the bank.

You dont need studs, just OEM bolts and MLS honda gasket. If you're going to tear the engine apart then maybe consider a bit higher CR to take better advantage of the cams, engine mgmt and engine refresh work. Just be aware you'll be pushed into running 91 with that CR option. Again though, you dont even need a crazy top of the line racing piston. Those generally fatigue over time so a regular hyper piston is plenty.

Thanks for the advice.

I plan on AEM EMS2 and NA for now I was thinking of doing a BC stroker kit and prepping it for boost, hence the overbuild, looking at the current bc kit for 2.09L is only 2,400... but any other ideas? I was thinking about Sleeving the block first because 2.0 block sleeves are weak at large bores, well weak in general. It may seem CRAZY but ive been working on this kinda setup for a while, I dont want 700 horse but the ability to get there is in my mind. Was hoping for 250 Natural.

I tried to do a K-Swap with a k24 a long time ago in a 92 CX I had the engine the mounts and just couldnt get a shifter box to save my soul, and back then they had to CUT the hump for it to fit, I know now its different but I have some parts amassed for a B.

It will be a Summer Daily.

http://madfablab.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=67 posted so I can use it later
    Last edited by hafast; 03-23-2015 at 03:46 PM.
    Twitch = Hafast_Tactics

Dont waste your time on EMS. Get Hondata, its the way to go hands down. Look at the guys on here who run it and the success they've had.

So the Consensus is convert to obd1?
    Twitch = Hafast_Tactics

Yes. Hondata will support whatever you can throw at it.

Jesus, you are all over the place... you want an overbuilt, high compression, possibly sleeved, ready for boost, daily driver that you don't have to worry about or fiddle with?

Sounds like you have no idea what you want. Make up your mind.

If this is your summer driver and you want to go boosted within the next couple years, do it now... you are throwing money away doing 2 engine builds.

Your only reasonable thing to do if you want boost in the future and want to drive it this summer is to keep the B20 block pretty stock and put the B16 head on... maybe do a few things that will help in the future. Buy HONDATAS300. Don't waste your money on anything else... Get all the boost options when you buy it in case you go boost.

Also I wouldn't be using a B20 block for boost... if anything you will sleeve a B18, so don't spend any unnecessary money on it.

And yes you must go OBD1. Do some reading on tuning!
    Last edited by Tremblay; 03-23-2015 at 04:56 PM.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

oh...
    Twitch = Hafast_Tactics

http://honda-tech.com/

http://www.team-integra.net/

Read... read until your eyes bleed... then you will know the way

Keep in mind that a 250whp NA build will most likely cost you $5000 for parts, machine work and extras, plus $800 for a professional tune...

But a 200HP B18C1/C5 will actually be street drivable, cost you a few grand and be swapped in a weekend. And is a WAYYYYY better starting platform to become boosted.
    Last edited by Tremblay; 03-23-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tremblay View Post
    Your only reasonable thing to do if you want boost in the future and want to drive it this summer is to keep the B20 block pretty stock and put the B16 head on... maybe do a few things that will help in the future. Buy HONDATAS300. Don't waste your money on anything else... Get all the boost options when you buy it in case you go boost.
    This is where i was trying to steer him. You're way too fired up right now lol. At the end of the day you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.

Well was Designing the compression to be at 9.6 to 1 but I know the B16 head will increase it a bit because of its smaller chamber, the fuel was just to be Premium, I wasnt thinking of converting back to OBD1 but I suppose I can, I have Tuned my old car (aka Number 57 Civic @ Gary Adomko) it was p28 on CromePro I have USED an AemEMS when I was Trying to help Allen Penner with his car I still have his disc somewhere. The Tuning I'm not Worried about I do want to Overbuild, but everyone wants a horse and a half for a b18c block, and I got the b20 for pretty much free after I sold off the remnants of the CRV I got it from and scrapped the shell. The Idea is Torque what I want pretty much, but going 84.5 bore and Stock 89mm b20 Stroke. Im in the middle of buying a 240,000 km SIR from Calgary. I had thought about buying the stuff building the b20 over summer and putting it in next winter. I hope to gain some power though I just want to have better REV ability than the stock crank, hence I wanted to change it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hate Honda-Tech because Grumble-Marc is a useless troll.
    Twitch = Hafast_Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy_Des View Post
    At the end of the day you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.
    Oh, he will drink. He will drink and like it!

ALL THE HONDAS!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast