Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferd's Arctic Silver Metallic 740iL

Re: Ferd's Arctic Silver Metallic 740iL

I don't have the 20 pin adapter no, but you can get them online from the US for less than $10. The DME is all you need for any engine related codes anyway. If you get an adapter then I can also program some stuff for you since I have NCS Expert and PA soft, though I've never tried PA soft before...
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

What sort of things could you program?
    1997 BMW 740iL Arctic Silver Metallic, Decatted - "Silver Bullet"
    SHE AIN'T PRETTY, BUT SHE'S FAST. (FOR A STREET CAR ANYWAY).

Little things within the instrument cluster, GM5 module (locks, windows, etc), light control module (LCM). I'm not entire sure about the E38 but the little things I was able to program on my car were things like getting the windows to roll up using the key, opening all doors with one press of the unlock button instead of two, doors locking at a certain speed or not, automatically turn on rear defroster at a certain temp, speed offset shown on instrument cluster. There's so many little things that can be done. I could also change the acoustic warnings for the temperature or seatbelts, have fog lights stay on with high beams, lights flash when car is locked/unlocked. Those are the things I know I can do in my car but I'm pretty sure I could do little things like that in the e38 as well, I'd just have to do a quick read of the current settings and see what can be changed and to what values.

I also changed all the values on my instrument cluster from imperial to metric, the odometer is now in km, fuel consumption is l/100km instead of mpg, celsius instead of fahrenheit, etc.
    Last edited by Nabs; 04-24-2015 at 10:08 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

I know that with the E38, fuel consumption, economy, etc can be fiddled with through the MID (radio interface), reflecting in the IKE (cluster), as well as certain settings accessible through unlocking the IKE, such as MPG correction factor, altitude correction, fuel tank level reset (saddle tank, needs two level sensors). As for that other stuff, INPA is a definite must. If you have time Sunday after 6, you should swing by!

Righto, some updates:
    -Car runs like a flaccid bag of shit (so little power it can't even get up my ramps......)
    -Upstream Oxygen sensors are still in the exhaust, even after being COATED in deep creep and being wailed on with a huge ass bar...

Play time starts...

One of many attempts. Note how I used both my legs to pry on the bastard, but to no avail...

Yeah, not pleasant working on a gravel driveway. I really wonder if I'll ever get this poor thing running again.
    I've done some reading, and multiple sources point to either clogged cats or a fuel delivery issue as the root cause of my problems.
    Cats, or possibly a fuel pump, hmm....
    For now, E38:1 Brad:0. Maybe once I'm out of school Tuesday I'll take another crack at it...stay tuned...

Senior Member test

Buy a bunch of playmats and put it on the ground of your work space. I have the same issue.

I never thought of that. How well do they stand up to putting a jack/jackstands on them?

I'm free on Tuesday and I should be in town for a little while if you want to try and read the DME

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    I'm free on Tuesday and I should be in town for a little while if you want to try and read the DME
    Mint. PM me when you'd want to swing by, I'll give you my cell so it'll be easier to keep in touch.

Senior Member test

Quote Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
    I never thought of that. How well do they stand up to putting a jack/jackstands on them?
    Never used a jack stand on play mat in driveway, but in the garage I use it to protect the painted floor. They get indented, but haven't cut through. At least not with the weight of the Jetta.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutched? View Post
    Never used a jack stand on play mat in driveway, but in the garage I use it to protect the painted floor. They get indented, but haven't cut through. At least not with the weight of the Jetta.
    Makes sense, but the 7 weighs in at 4200lbs ("Holy shit that weighs more than some trucks!"), so I may need something more sturdy lmao. They'd definitely help me from getting completely covered in dirt haha.

Try using some heat on those threads man..

Have you tried yelling at it? And using play mats with jack stands is the best, no marks on the floor after, or just some pieces of wood would also helps them from sinking in.

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    Try using some heat on those threads man..
    If I had a propane torch I would, but even then I'm trying to preserve the O2 sensors. Then again, it didn't seem to do jack shit after I ran the thing for 5 minutes and got the RPMs up as best as I could.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Have you tried yelling at it? And using play mats with jack stands is the best, no marks on the floor after, or just some pieces of wood would also helps them from sinking in.
    Yelling at it? Hmm, strong with the Force I seem not. And looks like I'll have to get some playmats and plywood then.

This thing is trying to get the best of me, but it will not happen!

If it does, and your thinking of gettin rid of it, Ill buy the grills off you, one of mine are cracked

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast