Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferd's Arctic Silver Metallic 740iL

Re: Ferd's Arctic Silver Metallic 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBilmer View Post
    If it does, and your thinking of gettin rid of it, Ill buy the grills off you, one of mine are cracked
    Not unless it turns out to be a game over scenario, or I can't find a place to store it in the winter. And besides, who wouldn't love a set of chrome grilles?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBilmer View Post
    If it does, and your thinking of gettin rid of it, Ill buy the grills off you, one of mine are cracked
    Shit I just remembered, I do have one of the original grilles still in the car...
    1997 BMW 740iL Arctic Silver Metallic, Decatted - "Silver Bullet"
    SHE AIN'T PRETTY, BUT SHE'S FAST. (FOR A STREET CAR ANYWAY).

A VERY BIG UPDATE:

Nabs came over today with INPA and we did a thorough diagnostic on the DME, resetting adaptations, clearing and setting DTC's, etc. And after soaking them three times, and reefing on them as many times,

THE UPSTREAM OXYGEN SENSORS CAME OUT.

Holy hot fuck was I excited. I wish I got the first start on film because I'm fairly sure I was heard over in County Park. The result? Cats are indeed plugged, passenger side for sure, misfires still present in a few cylinders, and may need a new thermostat/thermostat harness.

Enjoy the pics and vids.

The harness in question. Intermittent output faults due to a crosswired harness? Or a dicked thermostat? Hmm...

I heard a "boiling" noise after running it for a bit. Turns out I have water pooling in the spark plug well on bank 2. What the fuck...

Some more chemical warfare, because why not.

"GOTCHA BITCH!" Passenger side removed!

And now the vids, as I upload them.

The "boiling" noise
    http://vid1380.photobucket.com/album...pslnpq6anu.mp4

Second Start
    http://vid1380.photobucket.com/album...psaaggsonz.mp4

From The Outside
    http://vid1380.photobucket.com/album...psgemjial3.mp4

From The Outside Part 2
    http://vid1380.photobucket.com/album...psxwedop78.mp4

Once the vids are up, y'all are gonna shit your pants. I almost did.

Like I will say [said] in the vids, Magnaflow High-Flow Cats are approx. $200 a piece, in town, plus some new 02's and maybe some new coils as well. This thing is gonna become an absolute beast. Stay tuned...

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, I've been trying for over an hour to get the vids to upload, but to no avail. :/ I can watch on photobucket, but the link says they are corrupt. Suggestions?
    Last edited by Ferd; 05-01-2015 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Vidyas finally work!

Seeing as I'm still awake, a small update.
    So just a confirmation of what I already knew, I attached a pressure gauge to both ports, and she goes back to being a bag of shit. Still misfiring, but the question remains:

What caused the cats to plug and fail in the first place?

Going by the fact that it is now on its third set of plugs this year, the first showing signs of running lean, the second carboned right up (running rich), and no idea what the third set looks like.

Sounds like overfuelling for sure, but now the question is where to start looking...stay tuned...

meh.. de-cat and get the CEL tuned out. Get a wideband gauge to see your afr and go from there?

Ferd's Arctic Silver Metallic 740iL

Once you get the cats sorted out and it's running your best bet would be to reset the adaptations then once you drive around for a bit check your LTFT and STFT and you should be able to get a general idea of what is going on fueling wise. If the thermostat is bad it's not going to help your situation though. If there's something wrong then usually a code will pop up, be it for a vacuum leak after the MAF or if the O2 sensors are out of wack, but they seemed to be fine because you could see in INPA that they were trying to compensate on the 2nd bank when we were running it, due to the clogged cat.

I also just remembered I have a set of cats sitting in my garage from when I took out my headers, they're built into the header. You could have them for pretty cheap if you want.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    meh.. de-cat and get the CEL tuned out. Get a wideband gauge to see your afr and go from there?

De-cat I thought about, but the last thing I need is to get nailed in a safety lane...the CEL tuning requires some serious programming, and I don't have nearly enough funds to pay someone to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    Once you get the cats sorted out and it's running your best bet would be to reset the adaptations then once you drive around for a bit check your LTFT and STFT and you should be able to get a general idea of what is going on fueling wise. If the thermostat is bad it's not going to help your situation though. If there's something wrong then usually a code will pop up, be it for a vacuum leak after the MAF or if the O2 sensors are out of wack, but they seemed to be fine because you could see in INPA that they were trying to compensate on the 2nd bank when we were running it, due to the clogged cat.

I also just remembered I have a set of cats sitting in my garage from when I took out my headers, they're built into the header. You could have them for pretty cheap if you want.

I should definitely hunt down the reason as to why it overfuelled, because the cats ultimately became collateral damage in this instance. As well, those misfires need to be sorted out too, because it will happen again if it isn't rectified. The thermostat I'll have to do more research into, and just what it can actually do to the drivability. How much do you want for those cats?

Are the cats clogged on both sides? I figured that the misfires were related to the cat being clogged on the 2nd bank but if both cats were clogged then something is definitely wrong.

As for the thermostat, if it's stuck open it won't let the car get up to temp and if it's stuck closed you'll start to overheat
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    Are the cats clogged on both sides? I figured that the misfires were related to the cat being clogged on the 2nd bank but if both cats were clogged then something is definitely wrong.

As for the thermostat, if it's stuck open it won't let the car get up to temp and if it's stuck closed you'll start to overheat

I'll put it to ya this way, put the backpressure gauge on the passenger side, over 3 PSI (clogged). Put it on the driver side, couldn't even get it in all the way, but it made it run like a bag of shit, so I would definitely say they are both clogged. As for the temp, it gets up to temp, and holds at the normal level, doesn't rise. Maybe its some dead injectors...might need INPA again...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
    How much do you want for those cats?
    I went back and looked at the pictures of the cats...

It probably won't work but I guess you could use them if you cut out just the core and they happen to be the exact same size as your existing cats...

I'll do some measuring in the AM, hopefully they'll fit in the space that I have, otherwise straight piping I may consider after giving it some thought...

Yay! Straight pipe it!

2003-350Z
    2005-Acura EL
    2000-Maxima
    2001-Elantra
    1990-Spirit

Yesterday I took a stab at trying to listen to my injectors (stethoscope ftw), with absolutely no luck, so an injector kill test will be in order. And I've made a decision. Test pipe for now (*cough* diagnostic purposes *cough*), and save up for some high flow cats, new O2s, and whatever else I may need. Oh, and still got more pics to share from earlier on in the week. Stay tuned...

Whoops, looks like I've been lazy, again. Righto, progress thus far:
    One cat out, the other after work. Pics and vids from this month to follow.

Turns out my water pump was looser than I thought...yikes. It's all coming together now, just waiting on some wrenches for the fan clutch and a ratcheting 10mm wrench to get the water pump back on. Ohhhh baby she'll be a sweet ride real soon...stay tuned...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast