Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Another Civic Build Thread- 03 Civic SIR

Not Another Civic Build Thread- 03 Civic SIR

This is gonna take a few rounds to get up to date. I get the occasional hint dropped to start something on here so here it goes...

Purchased the car in Toronto last March. Its a 2003 Civic SIR with 276,000kms on the clock. Overall the car was pretty rough when I got it home. The paint was shot, the motor was tired, the suspension, brakes, everything pretty much. BUT there's no rust and that's the main thing. The reason I started with this shell is simple: Its a race car! Everything on it will be changed anyways. I'm not using anything original, and you can always put down new paint. Spending 8 grand on a mint condition car would be pointless and a bit of a waste of a good car.

Over the last year I've went over all the basics. Gave it new wheels and tires, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, and complete brakes. Gave it a sorely needed cleaning and stripped away all the useless crap (AC, cruise, etc.) and gave it a basic shot of paint just for shits. Basically just wanted to see where things were at and make sure I was ready to take it to the next step...

The next step being a K24A2 engine with Avid 94A mounts, ARP studs, and a new MLS Honda gasket. And then for fun I'm throwing a Sheepey Built Sidewinder and GT35R on it. Fuel delivery will be ID 1000's, FBM 340lph pump and FBM regulator with Ethanol. Engine management is going to be Hondata KPro V4 with boost by gear, 4 port electronic boost controller and 4 bar MAP sensor.

The building for the 2015 season will start when I get home at the end of this month. There's a ton of work to be done but I feel like everything is set to go ahead smoothly, parts are stock piled and ready to go. Hell I've been driving around Toronto with a TSX motor in the back of my truck for a week!

Hope everybody follows along, I'll try to keep it interesting! Update pics to follow.
    Last edited by Buddy_Des; 04-11-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Re: Not Another Civic Build Thread- 03 Civic SIR

This car, will be violent. Cant wait to see it done!
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

I might have to hire on Nabs to be my photo guy, I hope he accepts payment in Hot N' Ready pizzas. But here it goes!

I didn't take many pics when i first got it home, it was so ugly it would have broken my camera. You can see the paint destruction on the front bumper here...

Extended wheel studs and new balljoints. Cleaned everything up and gave it a shot of paint.

New brakes! The old ones were FUCKED lol cracked discs and even a seized caliper in the back. I honestly cant believe this car made it all the way home from Toronto...its a sign.

And who can forget the DIRT, I pulled enough loonies and quarters out of this car to pay for its first spray wash (then i just bought a gas pressure washer)

New Wheels with Nitto NeoGens for every day use. More on tires later on!

I'll post the stockpile next, I think I have more stock than DC Dave.
    Last edited by Buddy_Des; 04-11-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Looking good Des!
    10 Land Rover LR4 HSE
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Got a few more pictures in the ol' photobucket. This was just some clean-up I did with the wife. And yes, she turns wrenches and drives the car.

Erin cleaning up the front clip. We pulled it out and painted it when we did the first round of stripping the bay.

A big old pile of useless right there...

And this is pretty much how it sits right now. Once the K20 comes out, the ABS will be removed, the bay will get a more detailed cleaning and then a quick shot of paint and all new nuts n bolts to clean it up for the new engine.

Are you doing a K20/K24 hybrid? What happened with the K20?

Cool project so far, I like the plans you have - not a lot of K powered Honda's being built in town from what I know of so it'll be cool to see how this thing performs.

The K20 in the Civic is a pile of shit lol. Its a dumbed down economy engine. Its also much easier to just go with a K24A2 complete, there is some modification needed to put the hybrid together and its not really worth it imo.

Great build. I have a soft spot for these civics. I was pretty close to buying one right before I bought my Lancer but the dude lied and I found out it was salvage title and he was trying to rip me off.

Question: For your brakes, are those the EBC GD Sport Rotors? I really want to buy them for my car since they're coated which would hopefully stop or at least reduce the rusting on the rotor that's open and not being braked on. If so, review?

Quote Originally Posted by MITSU View Post
    Question: For your brakes, are those the EBC GD Sport Rotors? I really want to buy them for my car since they're coated which would hopefully stop or at least reduce the rusting on the rotor that's open and not being braked on. If so, review?
    Thanks, the rotors are just generic drilled/slotted with the black anodizing. I put a set of ceramic napa pads on it, nothing crazy. It stops like any new set of oem brakes would. They squeal a bit when cold from what i remember, its been 7 months since i drove it.

Unfortunately the brutal heat cycles and environmental exposure your brakes get makes them prone to degrading pretty much no matter what lol. The coating just postpones it a bit.

Ok cool thanks. Yeah I was thinking of just getting a decent set of blank rotors and just painting primer on the parts that are exposed, I've seen some people do it online and it looks to work.

Interesting thing to note here, I wasnt aware of this until I did more digging...

If you are working with a DC5/EP3 chassis, DO NOT use this style of mount. These are sold by innovate, hasport, etc.. They are prone to tearing on the flat circular mount on the passenger side. Be aware when you shop for mounts, its what you'll basically see everywhere.

Now these right here. Avid makes them. And they're hard to come by at the moment, places say they're in stock...but they arent. Avid recalled all of the old mounts and released this update, now they're playing catch up with orders. Note the left mount in the picture. Looks just like the others, much more sturdy and will not fail. This is what I'll be using, it was a two week-ish back order.

Thats the story on the mounts right now, or so I was told by the shops I talked to. Sounds consistent though.
    Last edited by Buddy_Des; 04-14-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Got on the lathe today and made this little fucker. 6061 aluminum shift knob for banging all the gears. Just needs a little rub down with scotch brite and thread the hole, didnt have the right size in the shop. Its 1.5"x3.5".

Nice lookin' knob

Senior Member test

I like when others are cutting up some metal ....looks good

Thanks! Its really addicting lol. My next session in Toronto I will be making a set of pulleys on the mill and maybe a few other things (thinking intake manifold). The lathe is definitely on my hit list for shop equipment now though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast