Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake and Exhaust Valve clearance adustments

Intake and Exhaust Valve clearance adustments

So looking through my manual and it does show that once in a while I should check and/or adjust my intake and exhaust valves. Is this really necessary? If so, would I be able to do myself or should I get it professionally done?

Cheers.

Re: Intake and Exhaust Valve clearance adustments

You should get a replacement engine because of that oil change place...
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

lmao lol nah. Do you know how much trouble I'm going to have to go through to have them even consider that? Engine works fine! What's the point? I mean yes I could get a brand new engine but then I'd have to argue back and forth with the company, have the dealership keep the car for how many weeks to replace the engine. Plus the company will want to have the engine checked inside and out to make sure if in fact it actually needs a replacement and I'm guessing I'm going to have to pay for it.

Unless anyone here has gone through this or something similar and can guide me through this and confirm that this is actually possible.

Adjusting valve lash normally isn't hard, just time consuming. I spent a good 6 hours getting my valve lash perfect on my KA when building my head. Depends how it's adjusted though, in my case I'd have to take the cams out every time to change to a larger or smaller shim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well they have tappets if that helps at all? I honestly don't know what a properly adjusted valve clearance looks like. Is it a torque feeling? Basically turn the tappets or whatever they're called until tight? Or is it a measuring trick (like a spark plug gap). Or am I just way off? lol

Best answer I have is when your looking for the right feel on the feeler blades is one thou bigger won't fit and one thou smaller will feel right loose. Adjust the intake valves when you see the exhaust valves just start to open, adjust exhaust valves just after peak lift of the intake. Just as it starts closing. Oh ya makes sure your turning it in the normal rotation

Quote Originally Posted by dorkage View Post
    You should get a replacement engine because of that oil change place...
    I don't think they would give him a New engine. Maybe a scrap yard engine with similar mileage and potentially more damage. When your car gets hit you don't get a new car. The repair to the same condition before the accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis_conway View Post
    Best answer I have is when your looking for the right feel on the feeler blades is one thou bigger won't fit and one thou smaller will feel right loose. Adjust the intake valves when you see the exhaust valves just start to open, adjust exhaust valves just after peak lift of the intake. Just as it starts closing. Oh ya makes sure your turning it in the normal rotation
    Ok thanks. I think I may need someone to actually show in person and then I can go from there if anyone here is willing.

Out of curiosity, what's the purpose of this? Is it just for noise or is there an actual useful reason?

Is your motor ticking a lot? No? Leave it alone

Hmmm..sort of at a cold start but once warmed up slightly it's gone. I just don't know if it's always done that or if I'm just paranoid lol I just figured it might be a relatively easy maintenance job but it does sound a little more complicated than I thought.

Just drive it until it blows up.

Ok so I found this which makes sense after Curtis explained it to me. http://constructionforklifts.tpub.co...671-24_349.htm

Well this will be an interesting. I think what I might do is just open the valve case and just see what it looks like first so I can picture what to do lol

Internet says for mine that you don't touch them till you hear them, and it says when adjusting, its better to hear them then to smell them so being lose is better then being too tight.

My car has almkst 240,000km on it, valve adjustment has never been done yet, still don't gear tick, I wouldn't worry about it for a long time, its a lot of work too.
    You need find out what adjustment shims you need, for mine I need .22 and .30, one is for exhaust valves, the other is for intake, it should say in the manual what shims you need and you just snug it up so the shim just has resistance going in and out between the lifter.

Exhaust valves usually tighten and intake usually loosen so when you're in there you just do the opposite, losen what's tight and tighten what's lose.

Yeah I don't hear anything at idle it's only at cold start up. I kind of like Clutched?'s idea of just going till it blows up Swap in an evo engine when that happens perhaps?

Thanks for the input though Anonymous. I just though maybe it was a somewhat easy maintenance job but everyone online is saying it's pretty time consuming especially if it's your first time and then you'll most likely screw up and have to redo it all over again. Maybe I'll do it on the civic first and go from there.

If anyone on here is planning on doing this for their vehicles, please let me know and I'd love to help and watch and learn!! Just food for thought.

For the love of the sport take the half hour out of your life and go do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast