Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sortaflush?? 2.slow "build"

Senior Member test

Re: Sortaflush?? 2.slow "build"

The tune won't do anything for that engine. Spend your money elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

1.8t will walk a vr6 with a k04 - and be more fuel efficient the rest of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by dorkage View Post
    Spend your money elsewhere.

Like? Suggestions? What mods are comparable in price?

I think the tune is a good idea, however, before you get a tune, you should look into cams, then you can get the tune done with cams and save in the long run of having to get it tuned again if you end up doing cams later.
    8v of fury will sound so good cammed, you need to

Buying a full car with a 1.8T is possible for the price of that tune.. Sell the misc shit you don't need to recover some cash and you're way further ahead with the 1.8t than you'll ever be with a 2.0 8v..

The tune is only like $350 Canadian and you get $100 off at Eurokracy if you get it done there at the Unitronic booth, that's not too bad for a 10hp tune on stock, there's probably a little more they could pump out of it with the exhaust and intake taken into consideration too, and if he gets cams then it will sound better then any 1.8T ever will. lumpy broken vw lope.. mmm yes <3

Gotta remember it's his daily, it's not going to be some 1000hp race car turbo build crazy fwd drag strip killer, it's a starbucks machine, just needs to sound cool and a little more pep with what he already has paid off seems pretty logical to me. To buy a 1.8T would entail finding one, selling what he has, raising the money for the new car before the current one sells, or sell the current one and go carless until the new one is here, then fixing everything for safety, paying the ownership registration tax when transferring it over into his name if it's not from a dealer, and if it's from a dealer then there's tax on top of the price of the car, and then he has to do all the labor putting the existing mods back on with new aftermarket parts all over again. I don't see how that's better then just paying Unitronic $250 to get a claimed 10hp tune, and then pump out some more tweaks for the intake and exhaust already installed and then it's done, fun daily, sounds great, goes to starbucks, has a gym membership he doesn't use, and it's all currently paid off and he owes nothing on it the way it sits.

I don't know, sure a 1.8T is easier to mod and will make more power for less, but it won't sound as nice, it has more parts that can break, it will cost more to fix if any turbo parts break, and it's a LOT more work to acquire one without a lot of work. Just my opinion, I don't know what he wants to do but I think he should either keep this and do some light mods, daily it for a few years while he saves up for a grown up car, or start financing a grown up car and keep this as a back up since it's already paid off so it can just sit and not cost him anything to have on the back burner, kinda like my truck, it needs an engine, but, it's paid off, so it can just sit for ever until I find a new engine, doesn't cost me anything to let it sit while I work on other things, Or finance something new, sell this one and use the money as a larger lump sum to shorten the duration of his payments by a few years.

Adam.. cough cough... go buy that fucking tl
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 02-23-2016 at 09:21 AM.

$350 for 10 hp is a fucking joke. You wont even notice that.. I'd rather pay 350 for double the power over stock...

How much is an AEM cold air intake? They where about $250 to $300 USD when I was looking at them for the TL.. they MIGHT add 10hp and LOTS of people do that so how does that justify a tune not being worth it, it makes the car run more efficiently on 91? Every bit adds up, it's all motor, sure you can tune a 1.8t and make more power but then it's no longer reliable in terms of turbo life duration, the 2.slow is expensive to build with high numbers, but they're reliable as shit, I beat the living hell out of my mk3 and it never quit until I the oil pan gave out and I just kept driving it, but like mentioned, unitronic says 10hp gain on stock, it will probably be more with the intake and exhaust, and if he finds some cams then all the better for the tune, and it would be done at Eurokracy when we go in the summer so it's $250 for the tune.

EDIT:
    The same tune for a 1.8t from Unitronic is $500 on their website for a 35hp gain, still, I fail to see how $350 list price for 10hp isn't worth the money for a motor that will last forever if well maintained over a 1.8t, especially with $100 off at Eurokracy.
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 02-23-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Senior Member test

The tune is an "off the shelf" tune. It won't be any extra parameter adjustments for exhaust and intake, or cams if added. It may improve the overall nominal power gain, but it wouldn't be like getting custom tune.

Also, I think Kevin is suggesting buying an entire 1.8T car and performing a swaperation. He stole his parts car. More than likely can't be said to happen again in town.

From my experience, I would proceed with the expectation of saving, finding a complete parts car, and anticipating rebuild, chains/belt, clutch/ hub bearings, axles etc for common wear and tear parts. By the time he adds this up, and saves for it he will probably reconsider that $3,000 to $5,000 as a nice downpayment on something new or different.

PS. I probably paid close to $3,000 after exchange so I can blow my car up faster and make maybe 40 hp more. I regret all my choices and will probably end up doing it again.
    Last edited by Clutched?; 02-23-2016 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutched? View Post
    I regret all my choices and will probably end up doing it again.
    #Volkswagen #neveronce #VNT17/22

Senior Member test

A 2.0 won't get 10HP from a Tune. It will get a high rev limiter and not much else. The ECUs are garbage. Even turboing the cars they make poor power. The only turbo 8v that I've seen that made good power was running 1.8t management.

1.8t swap it or just leave it stock.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3065964

A remapped 1.8t would destroy most of the cars in that thread.
    I probably have 1.8t remaps somewhere on my computer too.

#Volkswagen #neveronce #VNT17/22
    #lazytuner #not a VNT17/22
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

Member test

Ok so now that the shit storm has cleared...

I was just throwing options out there. The unitronic dealer in Mexico did a before and after dyno with the tune on a bone stock jetta 2.0 and it made and extra 16whp. That being said, I probably won't do it, but I do plan on taking it down to Montreal this summer so well play it by year. And as for the vr swap, that was also a suggestion, I never said I was going to do it. I'm only considering it because of the sound basically. I drove andrews jetta when lowgan owned it and that was decently quick for a daily for my needs. I've seen wrecked gli's go for 400 dollars at the car auctions in Winnipeg, with minor vandalism. So right there I'll have literally everything I'll need; 24v vr6 so a bit more power, 6 speed manual, axles, spindles, brakes, ecu, harness, cluster, and all the extra odds and ends. And while the engine is out do timing chains and whatever else the engine will need (if it does need anything else). And I'm pretty sure I'll need spindles and stuff if I 1.8t swap it, but that entails piecing together all the parts, which will cost a lot more than buying a whole gli parts car.

But like I said, it's another option as to what I wanna do to the golf, but I think I'm gonna focus on a little more appearance mods. And if anyone knows me, they know I change my mid every month so the money I'll save for the swap can go towards a new car or whatever.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Member test

Time for another update

Replaced the control arm bushings with polyurethane ones, and I got new wheel spacers to get my fitment game on point.

Got myself some new headlights. They are replicas of the 20th gti ones, so the back of the housing is black and the front part is chrome. They also come with foglights in the headlights so I just tapped my existing harness into it

Also got a 3 spoke steering wheel and a 20th gti cluster. Instead of dealing with the process of swapping clusters (as the immobilizer is inside the cluster and you need to reprogram shit) I just took my cluster apart and swapped the insides over

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Senior Member test

Re: Sortaflush?? 2.slow &quot;build&quot;

Old

vs. New
    Quote Originally Posted by 2pointno View Post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8393378493_226476dcde_c.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123