Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project: Helios

Senior Member test

Re: Project: Helios

Quote Originally Posted by bANONYMOUS View Post
    Andrew, stop forcing everyone to believe your religion, you literally checked the hosting source of my pictures just to see if I took your advice or not, the pictures work, that's all that matters.
    Cough cough....
    I'm using Photobucket again, I give up on Google Photos.
    I have never used Imgur, I don't want to try something new right now, I'm just uploading build thread pictures.
    A guy on Reddit made imgur because he was tired of imageshack and photobucket constantly not working. I'd say half of the DIYs I look up for my car don't have working photos because of imageshack and photobucket eventually stop working because of dormant accounts. That is why I suggest imgur.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

I agree with Andrew, photobucket sucks, if you decide to move the pictures then the links break all the time. Imgur is nice because it works with tapatalk too but i just don't like the album layout, which is why I prefer Google photos.

Back on topic, the none smoked reflectors look way better, really nice job on the repair. I love cree reverse lights too, but my car is stupid and just makes them flicker all the time. Did you have to run a resistor on yours?
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

As haggard garage would say... Mint

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Subaru: Rattling interiors since 1983
    R.I.P PW

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    Did you have to run a resistor on yours?
    I did not, but that will fix the problem with yours.

The bushings where it mounts to the control arms are toast, or at least one was, but the urethane bushing to the swaybar is so old it's rock solid and cracking

These are the Bilstein end links for a MK3, OEM MK3 front swaybar is an "OEM+" upgrade and just happens to be the same diameter for my H&R swaybar.

Member test

You ever gonna do the tie rods on that thing?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I still need an inner tie rod puller.

Senior Member test

Rent it from Parts Source. It's just a long pipe with a socket on it.
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

Yeah I know, I'm renting one when I have some free time. I just picked up the hubs today with new bearings and ball joints. Bert didn't charge me for anything because it took so long, so it was all free.

Senior Member test

That is why I usually go to them for part first. Both inner and outer tierods for $100 total?! Fuck yeah, I can't even get a decent outter for that price anywhere else.

I got my hubs the other day and after looking at them when I got home, inner seal on one bearing was fucked, like, dented and the seal was lifting on one side so it was catching on the retaining clip, and the other bearing had play just moving it in my hand so i wasnt even going to install them. I brought them back and Volkswagen is going to let me know what they wanna do about it.
    Bert is pretty cool and I ordered every part through them so I'm sure they'll come out good for me on this.

Member test

So it'll be another 6 months to get the hubs back lol

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Not much of an update but it's all I've had time to get done lately.

I finally rented the tool and got my inner tie rods and outer tie rods done, I just got the boots back on this morning after buying new clamps last night, gotta put the outer tie rods back on still and then do an alignment.

This is one of the OEM bearings Volkswagen pressed for me, the 3, 5, 7, and 9 position on the bearing seal are dented, and the 7 position is actually pushed in on the outer side causing the inner side of the seal to exceed past the bearing race, also, all of that grease is what leaked out of the bearing since I got them back just from spinning it with my hand, this bearing wont last much longer then a few months like and the right side bearing has hub play just moving it up and down with my hand. They also forgot to press the ball joints in for me, brought them back, they pressed the ball joints but forgot to attend to the bearings, so I need to bring these back a third time. But now that I have the tie rods finally done, I'm putting them on so I can get my alignment sorted out and then giving them back so at least I can get some other work on this out of the way before I give the parts back for a few more weeks. Third time's the charm right?

I also made the car sleepy, I've had an eyebrow sitting around for a few years, finally decided to throw it on.

Man they let some co op kid press them bearings? Brutal

This thing going to be on the road next year or what? Its been over 5 years hasn't it?
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

7 years, 8 years in May. I have a small list of crap left to do, but working outside is making even the small things seem like large tasks. From what I can tell, there's a front signal bad ground I still have to figure out, and getting the front hubs on, doing a quick alignment so I can get another 10 day and drive it to a place to have an alignment done and then it's in for a safety.

I'm not sure what's going on with the front signals but with the lights off, they both work fine, for whatever reason the left signal is brighter then the right when the running lights are on, when I turn the signals on they "work" but not right, the left signal flashes on and off, the right one flashes brighter and dimmer (like it's suppose too) so the issue is with the front left signal, in that case, but when the lowbeams or highbeams are on, both signals go bright and I have no front signals, but it doesn't hyper flash so I'm going to dig into that once I finish the alignment cause wiring and the cold makes me want to give up on life.

I'm assuming it's just corrosion in the plug because the car sat so long and I have no idea how long my front signal lenses were cracked so they probably filled up with water a few times making a mess of the place. I'll just clean it up and see if that fixes it, if not then I'll start digging for bad wires.

Soon though, I'm just trying to keep at it, it runs and drives good so it's all just the little things to make it nice. It used to be a show car so it's intent was to look nice, not be a daily driver, so when the previous owner started daily driving it, all of the shitty body work became apparent, like the chunk of it that fell off the left rear door so I started sanding back to see how bad it was and it's the entire center of the door is body filler. So, there's a LOT of work to go before it's nice again, but very little to make it safe. Just wiring and reassembly.

I'm actually having issues right now getting the right inner tie rod boot back on, it has this little pipe that runs between the left and right to equal out air pressure between the boots so when turning, one boot compresses and one extends, so one boot pushes air in the tube, the other pulls air from the tube so that way the boots don't cave in from suction or anything. I can't figure out how to get it back on because as I try to push the boot on the right side, it stops from the blocked air pressure on the left side.

I tried sticking a small screw driver under the lip to allow air to get in and I don't know if it's not enough or what but I can't get it back on that damn tube, this is day two now I gave up on this, as soon as that boot is sitting right, I can tighten the clamps and the hubs go on, shouldn't take more then 20 minutes once I get that boot dealt with.
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 12-04-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast