Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Classing Discussion for 2016 Autoslalom

Re: Classing Discussion for 2016 Autoslalom

Did you actually look at the mock-results? Talking to the wall...? I'm trying to accommodate everyone here. There are options with and with out pax. You're more then welcome to post any negatives about any of the options, I understand that there is no perfect option to suit every person or car. Also, what does the Facebook photo prove?

I'm not vouching for any option over another - I'm presenting all the information I can and it's up to the people to decide. I'd like to see a 3rd class, regardless of which system we adopt, so that we can hand out more trophies and hopefully a system that is the most fair to the majority of competitors. Anyone is welcome to come vote in a month or two.

I just want someone to tell me why you're even considering changing how things are classed? What was wrong with the way it is now? We're small fish compared to the people that use this pax system. I don't know about you but I go to the races to see the better car and Driver win, not someone who won based on a handicap. You'll just end up with a grid full of miatas
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

That took a lot of work marc..good info and lots of choices. Drivetrain with PAX is kinda fun.

I think as long as we are using some system like PAX in whatever category breakdown it will all be about the same. The standings all look similar regardless of how you break the classes from what I can see.

When do we vote/decide?

I don't think it matters what system we use those Bimmers are unstoppable! Lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    "That is one quick Prius!"

while I agree with you to some extent...I don't think the grid will just all be miatas because we own the cars we own...

I see the point Cale is trying to make... Why he is so passionately against it, I am not so sure There is no $10,000 prize at the checkered flag

For me personally, I don't care if I am in 6th place with our current class system, or come in 3rd just because of PAX (or whatever the outcome). Our local autoslalom events are non-competitive and small enough not to really need it. I'm chasing my own time, my friends, and cars that are in the same performance range as mine.

But if enough people are interested in the PAX system and want to see how they would have placed with it, and someone wants to take the time to set it up and do all the classes (Marc) Then go for it!

I don't see it as necessary... but whatever the masses want to go with is fine. But hey, I only get to go to about half the events a year so I might not take it as serious as the next guy.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

Here's the thing, we don't know if the masses want it. This is just the club trying to change things for no reason. The reason they run pax in brainerd is they have 150+ cars and our system wouldn't work. Problem with pax classic is you have to rely on the owner being honest about his mods, do you have a way to check for an ecu flash? How about bushings? Or type of fuel? Etc
    Last edited by MiniD1CK5; 08-20-2015 at 02:25 PM.
    FUNCTION >FORM

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

First off I'd like to thank Marc for taking the time and making the effort to show us the options. No matter what options are shown there will always be the negative opinions, I think its important that it"s discussed over the next few events among the current competitors and anyone else that may plan on competing. It appears to me that there isn't a huge change in the results among the three systems. My personal opinion is the club autox/slalom events are growing in popularity and competitors so maybe making the jump to the internationally recognized classing system is the way to go. As far as honesty in classing, yes that's how it works, if someone chooses to cheat to win, oh well karma's a bitch and they will get there's one day, plus the rules allow for protests if the occasion should ever arise. Lets keep this all in perspective people, its all for a trophy and bragging rights, no cash and team Ferrari isn't going to come calling for you. Lets all have fun and play nice. Good luck to all and lets make this Sundays fund raiser a huge success.

Senior Member test Curtis_conway's Avatar

Agreed the more serious guys should go slalom at a higher profile event that has 150 cars. That would be awesome to see some of these guys at brainerd.

In the drag race world bracket racing is international known too...,.still doesn't mean it's cool....silly bracket racers building there car for consistency and not to for speed.

The club doesn't seem like a group of cheaters as far as I can tell. Just a bunch of people who get together to talk cars and race around half a dozen times a year and just have fun...have i gotten this all wrong? I may be new..but I don't think that's the case so I feel the point of "honesty wont make pax work" can be thrown out the window. Just sayin..

Plus don't we pretty much know who's done what? Even if we didn't...who cares. I don't know. Just seemed like a weak excuse. I know pax can have its issues but whoever made the point about growing the club and using a more recognized way of measuring times up against one another said it best.

I'm going down to grand bend raceway for lapping in my buddies 2013 mazdaspeed3 next week and I know I'm going to be talking about our club up here. And I have nothing but good things to say so far.

We can always change back or modify the system for our small groupings. I see nothing but good coming from trying to make it better (or worse but at least trying our best)

Senior Member test Curtis_conway's Avatar

Will pax bring more people out? If you're thinking no then it's not bettering anything.

As Shawn said in an earlier post, our club is growing, and making the jump to an Internationally recognized classing system might be be the way to go. I've been involved in autox for almost 20 years, and have participated in numerous events throughout Ontario (including the 2006 Mobil1 Championship Series in Southern Ontario). I've run PAX before, and knowing the direction of our club (growing in numbers, and venue sizes), moving to PAX with 3 or 4 classes, would be the way to go. And yes, honesty plays a key in car classing, but again, like Shawn said, karma is a bitch. Most people I know from autox seem like they would be honest about their mods anyway, so in my mind, that's a non issue. As for Miata's always winning, PAX is really the most fair in that regard (It will continually update and penalize cars that do too well and help cars that don't). From talking to people at the events, most people are positive when discussing moving towards PAX, and it seems that the negativity towards it comes from people who don't participate in autox regularly.

@Nav........agreed
    @Curtis...by bettering i meant that members may have a better idea how their car actually stacks up if they decide to participate in a larger event. better from the standpoint that maybe people will want to, and therefore give exposure to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Nav View Post
    As Shawn said in an earlier post, our club is growing, and making the jump to an Internationally recognized classing system might be be the way to go. I've been involved in autox for almost 20 years, and have participated in numerous events throughout Ontario (including the 2006 Mobil1 Championship Series in Southern Ontario). I've run PAX before, and knowing the direction of our club (growing in numbers, and venue sizes), moving to PAX with 3 or 4 classes, would be the way to go. And yes, honesty plays a key in car classing, but again, like Shawn said, karma is a bitch. Most people I know from autox seem like they would be honest about their mods anyway, so in my mind, that's a non issue. As for Miata's always winning, PAX is really the most fair in that regard (It will continually update and penalize cars that do too well and help cars that don't). From talking to people at the events, most people are positive when discussing moving towards PAX, and it seems that the negativity towards it comes from people who don't participate in autox regularly.
    I guess Curtis running the club for years and myself winning the autocross championship counts as not participating
    FUNCTION >FORM

They probably meant currently participating. Regardless of historical participation would it not make sense that the future of how classing would be done be decided by people who currently participate in the races? Forgive me for putting words in somebodys mouth but that's probably what they meant. At the end of the day it still doesn't matter its just for fun

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast