Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Nabs' E39 540i Daily Driver

Senior Member test

Re: Nabs' E39 540i Daily Driver

You are being way to anal about your winter beater. Haha.
    You are going to fix it, and then round two into the snow bank again. That ice is was damn slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutched? View Post
    You are being way to anal about your winter beater. Haha.
    You are going to fix it, and then round two into the snow bank again. That ice is was damn slick.
    It's more of a daily driver rather than a beater with how much I've spent on it lol. I actually plan on keeping the front bumper for winters so I won't smash up the new one but I've never had an issue with the rear bumper before and I want it to be straight for when I do the new exhaust
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Been busy with renovations so I haven't worked on this as much as I've wanted, so progress has been slow.

Changed out the power steering reservoir, which as you can see is covered in ATF (BMW uses it instead of power steering fluid). The o-ring for the cap was shot and the reservoirs also have filters built into them but you can't change either of them without changing the whole reservoir. I also changed out the lines that connect to the reservoir. The line coming from the cooler had failed at the part where the crimped part and the fitting meet causing a slow but ultimately messy leak.

Next up was the alternator. Pulling it out was easy yet hard. There are three bolts on the arm which are very easy to access but the nut on the back connecting it to the main battery harness was very difficult to get at. It turns out this was the original alternator made back in the 49th week of 1997. The new one was a Bosch remanufactured unit I got through FCP so it has a lifetime warranty on it

I started taking apart quite a bit of the front end. As I had mentioned before the left tie rod had a tear in the boot and the center link was completely shot. I used my new tool to take everything apart. Pulled everything out as one unit with the idler arm, and I also changed out the bushing on that. Now everything has to go back in but I'm waiting until I get the rest of the work on the front end done.

With the tie rods disconnected I could get to the wheel bearings a little easier. While they weren't completely shot and didn't have play in them they were definitely making noise and were on their way out. They're a bolt in unit but the strut blocks one of the bolts so I took out the pinch bolt and used a homemade spreader, made out of an old 3/8 extension, to be able to drop the spindle and get at the bolt. The bolts were really tough to break free but with I was able to get an impact in behind and with some heat they came out really easy. I also reinstalled the studs onto the new hubs just to make life easier in the future.

I also found out that the sway bar end link is bent but only on the passenger side

I still have the right wheel bearing to swap out, change the bushings in the front rear control arms and put in the new tie rods and center link.
    Last edited by Nabs; 03-26-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Even your maintenance is entertaining to read though, your so anal about everything, makes me wanna buy a car off of you lol

Thanks... I guess... lol

I didn't do a whole bunch of work today. I spent the morning and half the afternoon finishing up and installing a retrofit for a friend, then cleaned up the garage since it was a massive mess. I got around to changing the left wheel bearing and then went to remove the front rear control arms and was got 2.5 lovely surprises. /s

The first surprise was that the right bank valve cover is leaking worse than before. I think I might just buy a new valve cover gasket at this point.

Surprise number 2 was the nut for the left control arm being so stuck that even after heating it up multiple time throughout removal I still ended up have to use a breaker bar along with a pipe just to make it budge but it gets even better! After a few turns it was so difficult to turn the nut that I ended up having to use my left foot to stop the spindle fromm rotating while holding a 3/8 allen key through the hole for the tie rod for extra leverage and using my right leg to push the breaker bar. It only took 30 minutes to get it off. After all that it turned out the nut stripped the ball joint stud and there was already a good size tear in the ball joint boot and it was starting to develop some play. There goes another $100.

Here's the new wheel bearing and the spindle after finally getting the control arm off.

Here's some videos with the noises from the wheel bearings ant the amount of play in the center link.

The plan for tomorrow is to go order a new control arm and press out the bushing from the other good one so I can press in the heavy duty bushing and start reassembling one side at least.
    Last edited by Nabs; 03-27-2017 at 01:11 AM.

What the hell is left to fix! Good work though man it will be worth it
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Quote Originally Posted by bgodin23 View Post
    What the hell is left to fix!
    Is that a rhetorical question? I can always make a list! Lol

But yeah, I'm thinking once I get all the current stuff done the car should be good for a while in terms of maintenance. The only front end mechanical pieces I haven't changed in the last year are the front control arms, sway bar end links and left brake caliper.

Member test

Time to get back on the M3 summer is on the way

I'm getting to that slowly. Now that I have to wait until next week for the new control arm and I have nothing left to do on the 540 I'll be working on the M3

I pressed out the bushing on the good arm and installed a new heavy duty bushing. The bushing on the left is the aftermarket bushing that came with the arm when I bought it last year. The middle bushing is the Meyle HD X5 bushing and the right bushing is the OEM bushing I pressed in the original arm last year. When I get the new arm I'll also be pressing out the bushing that comes with it and replace it with another X5 bushing. The Meyle HD bushings are supposed to be solid rubber as opposed to the fluid filled OEM bushing, and on top of that it's the version from the X5 so it's even beefier. The reason for swapping the bushings is to eliminate to possibility of a caster difference between the wheels like I had before.

I figured while I have the car up in the air I'll check the wiring to see if that's the issue with the 02 sensor. I pulled the ecu cover off then pulled the connectors off the ecu and ran wires from the pins for the 02 sensors under the car so I can check for continuity. Turns out all the wires are good for both pre-cat sensors.

Since the issue didn't seem to be the wiring I pulled the 02 sensors and tested those but both seemed fine. I even found the old sensor I replaced last year and that was good as well!

I'm pretty stumped as to what it could be now. I'm going to try and swap the sensors and see what happens, but I doubt that'll do anything. At this point I have no clue what to do, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Great update Nabs. I really do enjoy reading and seeing your work. It honestly gives me a whole new perspective and understanding with how car parts work which reading in a textbook or official explanations online can't give.

I had no idea you can just spit flames on an o2 sensor to test it lmao epic.

This thing is pretty much all put back together. I just can't seem to find the new power steering fluid reservoir I bought a few months ago so I might have to run the old one for the time being.

Waiino was nice enough to pick up the new control arm from the border for me. As soon as I got that I changed out the bushing and put that along with the other control arm, center link and tie rods in. There were a few slight holes in the right ball joint boot so I patched it up with some rubber cement and a rubber patch.

I also pulled off the right valve cover and changed the gasket since the previous attempt at fixing the leak didn't go so well. I just hope this time it won't leak or I'll have to pull the top timing cover off and that's a pain to reinstall with the timing chain tensioner.

It should be nice to drive this thing again. I haven't driven it since the end of February.

I still haven't driven this since February but I finally worked on this pile after about 6 months. The last time I worked on it I started to take off the rear wheel bearings. I didn't want to and wasn't able to take off the control arm so getting the axle out of the way enough to get at the wheel bearing bolts was a pain. I ended up having to buy a set of 1/4" multi-spline sockets to be able to fit the e-torx bolts and be able to get into the tight spot. The bolts came out relatively easy as well as the bearing and the axle splines.

I cleaned up everything before putting in the new bearing and hub and put on a new brake rotor shield since the old one had rusted where the parking brake shoes are held in.

I still have to torque the axle back to the diff, repeat the process for the right side then torque down the axle nuts when it's finally back down on the ground. I also threw on some studs and used a new hub from an E60 5 series so that I can fit any 72.6mm bore wheel on the car without adapters since I already did the fronts.

Member test

Are you still looking for a LSD center section ?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Are you still looking for a LSD center section ?
    Not really. I don't care to spend money on this car anymore

I finished changing out the right wheel bearing a few weeks ago. This one was actually kind of noisy.

Having a hydraulic press makes life so much easier, it literally took me 10 seconds to press the hub into the bearing. The only issue I had with this side was that I stripped one of the e-torx bolts going from the axle to the diff so I'll have to run it with 5 of 6 for the time being while I wait on a new one to arrive.

I drove the car for one day and experienced 2 lovely issues. The first lovely problem is even though I have a brand new alternator and it works perfectly, the battery doesn't charge intermittently. I figure it's because of the cable connecting the alternator and starter to the interior battery cable got damage a few years ago, even though I figured that I had fixed it. I ordered a new cable but I didn't have enough time to change it yesterday. Old photo of the cable when it was damaged

The second problem occurred 5 minutes before I got home and turned off the highway my car started to sound louder than normal, which is already extremely loud (I drive with earplugs in on the highway). I wasn't able to take a look at it for a while since the alternator on my moms car crapped out and I had to take care of that and I had my VW in my area. My garage as of yesterday, huge mess... I know...

I got under the car and found that the band clamp connecting the cat pipe to the Y on the giant ugly pipe slipped off. Luckily since I had been planning on "eventually" fixing the exhaust and putting in a muffler I had ordered 2 clamps for that exact spot.

After I got the old clamp off I was treated to another lovely surprise, a 1-3/4" gap between the two pipe, leaving me with 1" of the clamp on each pipe and the pipes didn't actually line up with each other without having to pull on the cat pipe.

The best part was that because some idiot actually welded the cat pipe to the Y, making the exhaust effectively one pipe from the headers back, sliding the clamp on was not so easy. I took the actual clamps off the band and found out that the 2 bands were spot welded together so opening it up and putting it over the pipe wouldn't work. I ended up expanding the bands a bit and was able to pull on the cat pipe to get a bit more clearance and with some force I got the bands on, then contracting it all with a worm clamp to get the clamps back on. Tested everything out and no leaks!

All that's left now is changing out the alternator/starter cable and getting an alignment and it should be good for the winter! *knocks on wood*

I still have to figure out how I'm going to replace the welded on flanges on both the headers and the cat pipes before I can take the cat-back portion of the exhaust out to finally weld in the muffler, pull the driveshaft and change the output shaft seal on the transmission and pull the gas tank so that I can cut out and weld in new pieces for the super rotten jacking point areas.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast