Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' E39 540i Daily Driver

Re: Nabs' E39 540i Daily Driver

I... I put mudflaps on my truck.

Want to come and help me put some on this since you know what you're doing?
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Junior Member test

Looking good buddy! Let me know when you've got what you need to tackle that trunk fix and we can steal my pops welder for a bit.

1986 Dodge W150 Royal SE | 5.9L 360 LA

I still can't believe the work you're doing on this, but never stop, I love it

I can't believe it either, and to be honest I don't want to be doing this anymore. I'm really sick of working on this car and working on cars in general. This car has broken me. And I've put so much time, effort and mainly money into it that it's not worth selling or I'd lose quite a bit of money unless someone wants to buy it for $6k.

Every time I go in the garage now I just want to do small jobs and get them over with. The two main jobs I have to get done right now, other than the trunk, and have the parts for I really don't want to do. One is changing the bushings in the thrust arms up front and the other job is somehow removing the 4 broken bolts for the trans brace which are flush with the body and directly above the exhaust, which would be hell to remove. I also already broke an extractor in one of the bolts and it didn't even budge.

The only thing useful I've done in the last week is slowly getting the interior back together and fixing the trunk harness, which happens to be missing a wire on the trunk side. I also changed out the steering wheel controls but was too lazy to pull the steering wheel to redye it for now.

Then I went to clean up the centre console because of all the spilt coffee and I found a dead cat in the climate control...

And I guess the cat was chewing some gum at some point...
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Kitties are always getting into the damn gum

Nabs' E39 540i Daily Driver

I dropped the thrust arms to change the old bushings, I didn't even get the first one done. It came out really easy with a puller and some old strut hats but for the life of me I couldn't get the new one in, even after like 3 hours so I gave up for the day. I'll tackle it again tomorrow, but if I can't do it I think I'll just pull both arms out completely and find someone or somewhere that can press them in with a hydraulic press.
    Last edited by Nabs; 11-06-2015 at 10:42 PM.

Whenever I feel like throwing a wrench through the Yotas' windshield or setting the SpecV on fire I just walk away, eat a Nutella sandwich then tackle it again after I've calmed down. Worked so far.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    "That is one quick Prius!"

Quote Originally Posted by 20Specv12 View Post
    Whenever I feel like throwing a wrench through the Yotas' windshield or setting the SpecV on fire I just walk away, eat a Nutella sandwich then tackle it again after I've calmed down. Worked so far.
    I FREAKING LOVE NUTELLA SANDWICHES!!! I've been eating them since I was in JK, true story. I usually just leave whatever I'm doing for the day and move onto something else until I eventually find something that doesn't frustrate me.

Have you tried putting the bushings in the freezer and then heating the thrust arms before pressing them? The metal expands and the rubber contracts making it just easy enough to have them press in, and when the temperature all equals out, it's a super tight fit.

I completely forgot about that trick! My brain doesn't work anymore since I'm so used to starting work on the car at like 10pm and usually going until 5am. For some reason the other night I went to bed at 6am, woke up at 10am, and start working on the car at 12 yesterday so my I wasn't all there...

Nabs' E39 540i Daily Driver

Bushings were definitely shot, you could see they were twisted and starting to tear. I'm hoping that's the reason the front wheel was sitting too far forward. New bushing is on the right.

Last edited by Nabs; 11-07-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Member test

I'm kinda happy I didn't buy this car of George, but at the same time I'm glad it went to a guy who knows what he's doing. Your attention to detail is insane when it comes to fixing up cars. Keep it up man 👍

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

^^^agreed, this is why you're builds are always the best, it's the little things that make a build good

Quote Originally Posted by 2pointno View Post
    I'm kinda happy I didn't buy this car of George, but at the same time I'm glad it went to a guy who knows what he's doing. Your attention to detail is insane when it comes to fixing up cars. Keep it up man ��
    Thanks! I usually feel like I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, I just try and figure it out as I go. The one reason I really like the older BMWs is that there is a great community and lots of information online and finding out how to fix something is extremely easy. Also BMW made their cars in a very practical way so servicing them is pretty easy and straight forward. I knew when I bought the car off of him and looked at it more and more that there was a lot of small things that weren't critical but I wanted to fix just because it's the little things that bug me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by bANONYMOUS View Post
    ^^^agreed, this is why you're builds are always the best, it's the little things that make a build good
    Interesting. I've always thought that my builds were kind of boring...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast