Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' E39 540i Daily Driver

Re: Nabs' E39 540i Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    At least it looks cool
    You should see it with the quads and angel eyes on, it looks menacing.

I was thinking of just parking it at TD all year round so I can make it to meets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tremblay View Post
    Take the pads out and drive her in or start pushing! Kev is right though... it does look cool
    It's a bit cold or I probably would have taken the pads out already. It also weighs around 3800lbs so it's not easy to push and the locked wheel doesn't help much. I should be able to winch it into the garage tomorrow.

I'm hoping if I just reset the pistons and clean the pads and rotors it'll work properly. I never took the front brakes apart so hopefully it doesn't require a full caliper rebuild.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Im thinking you will probably need a caliper, especially if it sat. Without having to do to much. And i know people probably wont like me telling you to do this, take the wheel off and pry the caliper open with a screwdriver or pry bar, enough for the wheel to turn, then pinch the brake hose with vise grips. As long as you dont lean on the brade pedal too hard it wont hurt anything. People will tell you to change the hose after and well.. Knowing you, you will. But ive done it on MY OWN vehicles and not changed the hose. Or pry it and open the bleeder. You should have enough brake to stop when you pull it in the garage.
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Just drop the clutch hard enough and it'll move.

Quote Originally Posted by bgodin23 View Post
    Im thinking you will probably need a caliper, especially if it sat. Without having to do to much. And i know people probably wont like me telling you to do this, take the wheel off and pry the caliper open with a screwdriver or pry bar, enough for the wheel to turn, then pinch the brake hose with vise grips. As long as you dont lean on the brade pedal too hard it wont hurt anything. People will tell you to change the hose after and well.. Knowing you, you will. But ive done it on MY OWN vehicles and not changed the hose. Or pry it and open the bleeder. You should have enough brake to stop when you pull it in the garage.
    Just drop the clutch hard enough and it'll move.
    I tried that Kevin, it didn't move more than an inch,

I'm way ahead of you guys. My cousin was borrowing our ATV but he brought it back this morning so I winched it until the front wheels were in the garage then threw some dollies under the front wheels and drove it in the rest of the way. Lucky our driveway is snow covered so as my good friend would say, "it slid like a bastard"

I already pulled everything apart and tried to reset the caliper but had no luck. After that I tried putting a 2x4 in the caliper then pressing on the brake pedal to see if the piston would move at all, which it did, then I tried heating it up and pushing it in but it only went back in as far as it was before then it would just stop. I tried opening the bleeder to see if that would help while I pushed the piston but that didn't do anything either. So the piston isn't entirely seized but it is binding on something inside of there.

I have a few options at this point:
    • Buy a new OEM caliper for $120 US shipped
    • Buy a rebuilt OEM caliper for $58 US shipped + $20 to ship the core back
    • Order new seals for $15 US and hope that the piston or bore aren't damaged badly and rebuild it myself
    • Buy a caliper in town for $108
    • Buy a used caliper and rebuild it

Luckily I have a few days to think about it but I probably won't have the car back on the road until close to the new year at this point

- - - Updated - - -

I ended up just buying a used caliper on eBay for $40
    Last edited by Nabs; 12-19-2015 at 06:03 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

If the seal is fucked in some way it'll create a rust "ledge" of sorts that can stop the piston from going back in. Sanding it down and putting new seals etc. usually fixes it up but at the same time - fuck it. The work involved is hardly worth it 90% of the time.

If the seal is fucked in some way it'll create a rust "ledge" of sorts that can stop the piston from going back in. Sanding it down and putting new seals etc. usually fixes it up but at the same time - fuck it. The work involved is hardly worth it 90% of the time.
    i agree, but Dave is a whole different Animal!!!
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

The dust boot (outer seal) is fine, but I'll pull apart this caliper once the new (used) one comes in and I install it. If the piston and caliper are still in good condition then at that point I'll rebuild it and sell it. The reason I don't want to pull it apart right now is I don't want to have to deal with losing all the fluid and having to rebleed the whole system, including the ABS unit since it's a massive pain once air get in that unit and the pedal never feels the same.

I figured while the car is out of commission while I wait for the brake caliper it might be a good idea to see if I can find out what the issue is with the heated seat. I found a diagnostic test using the switch for the heated seat to point me in the right direction, and it ended up indicating a break or short in 1 to all 4 heating pads or a break in the wiring harness.

I unbolted the seat and found some change ($4.50!!!) and a whole bunch of nastiness

Once I got the seat unbolted and partly cleaned I started disassembling the trim so that I could start removing the leather cover. I pulled the front thigh support off first and pulled back the heating pad to see if there were any breaks in the wiring, unfortunately I didn't find any, and I say that since this is the only section where the heating pad isn't actually sewn into the leather.

I then took off the main seat cover, which was a bit of a pain with the hog rings but I eventually got it off

Like I had mentioned before, the heating element on this area is actually sewn in with the leather portion of the cover and there's a foam layer over that so I ended up cutting back some of the foam and immediately found my issue, a small break on the left side bolster. It should be ab easy fix, i'll just solder the wires together and cover them in some electrical tape and then test it. I'm hoping this'll work since a new element is $140 plus I'd have to remove all the stitching to get the old element out and sew a new one in.

While I have the cover off I also figured I'd get it fixed since the stitching is coming apart at the seam of the bottom area of the cover and the bolsters. Anyone know a good upholstery shop in town?

Last edited by Nabs; 12-21-2015 at 02:03 AM.

I have paid a lot of invoices to Almada. Popular choice?

Almada on May St
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Quote Originally Posted by Clutched? View Post
    I have paid a lot of invoices to Almada. Popular choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yota View Post
    Almada on May St
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I soldered the break that I found and quickly connected it for testing but it was still having the same issue, the light on the switch comes on for a second then immediately shuts off. I'm going to cut the foam for the middle section and see if I can find anything there, if not then I'll have to pull of the seat back and see if there's a break in the wiring on that as well but I really, really hope not.

While the car is out of commission until next week I also decided to redye my steering wheel. It's $450 US for a new one and I bought a redye kit for $25 US so I'm hoping it turns out. It's pretty easy to take off the wheel, there are 2 T30 bolts on the back that hold the airbag and controls in place along with a few connectors. After that's off the 16mm bolt in the middle comes off, gave it a good yank and it was loose. There's already a mark on the shaft and the wheel to line it all up again.

After that you just pull down the lower steering column cover and disconnect two connectors, one for the slip ring for the steering wheel controls and one for the airbag

Here's the wheel in my workshop ready to be prepped

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't expecting to but I did a little more work on the wheel tonight. I taped it up and covered everything that won't be seeing the dye.

I also tried to get a close up to show all the cracking in the area that was worn the most

The instructions said to use an abrasive pad, scotchbrite I guess, but I didn't have one so I went with some good old 600 grit and wet sanded the whole wheel to remove the shine and level out the cracks and other areas just a bit. Looking back I probably could have started with 800 grit but this got things done a bit faster.

After that was done then I used the provided alcohol cleaner, pretty much acetone, to clean the wheel. Then I used the provided degreaser which ends up pulling any grease or oil left on the wheel and drying it into a powder. I left it there since the degreaser is supposed to dry for 30 minutes.
    Last edited by Nabs; 12-23-2015 at 02:19 AM.

Shit, I should do the same on my new-to-me 3 spoke wolfsburg wheel.. I like when you tackle things first.

I like when you tackle things first.
    It's probably a good thing I did it first this time since I absolutely messed it up. Turns out I sanded the wheel too far back in the area that was already worn out and when I wet sanded the filler back there were areas that were really coarse so I tried drying the area to apply more filler and it split in one spot. I tried filling it with filler but i have to keep sanding a bit then letting it dry, otherwise the filler peels off like putty if it gets too wet. I'll post up the proper way to do it once I finish the whole thing
    Last edited by Nabs; 12-23-2015 at 09:38 PM.

Shit, I should do the same on my new-to-me 3 spoke wolfsburg wheel.. I like when you tackle things first.
    There are cheapo leather covers than can be stitched on from Aliexpress. They look great if you get the pattern correct. They will work for the normal 3 spoke, but not the R32 wheel, so you're in luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

This is the lovely hole I put in mine. I ran out of filler so I looks like I'll have to go buy one of those cheap permatex repair kits just to fill it in. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE ANYTHING LESS THAN 1000 GRIT ON A STERRING WHEEL!

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast