Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Nabs' E39 540i Daily Driver

Re: Nabs' E39 540i Daily Driver

S62 and a 6spd or take the 540 drivetrain.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

I guess I should share what ended up happening with this thing. This will probably be the final update post on this car.

Back at the end of February I took the car back out on the ice and figured I would have some fun since it was my birthday but I ended up having a little too much fun.

Interesting thing was even though I hit the bank at about 80km/h, it was so soft the car went right in, no airbags deployed and nothing broke. I later broke the front bumper when I clipped another bank and it pulled the bumper off and I drove over it

I went out one more time after that a few weeks later and did some more damage to the car. This time I spun, hit the bank then spun another 4 times. I later found out I broke the rad mounts and the fan shroud was hitting the fan and stopping it from spinning. I had to use some wire to pull and hold the rad back in place so I could make it home in one piece.

Took the car out for one last drive with T-Bone before cutting out the exhaust and pulling off the rear bumper for George.

"Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

This is actually so sad after how much work you put into this thing fixing all the small little pieces, so much OCD went into making this thing perfect.. make it even better now

But the problem was no matter how perfect I tried to make it there was always something else that would bother me about it, it was a never ending pit and I got sick of it. It was supposed to be my daily but it turned into more of a project and I think I was a bit too ambitious. While I'll miss the V8 for a little while, the wagon will be much better than it in every way, once I get a v8 in it.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Well yeah, the Wagon.. any wagon.. is always better than anything in any way forever always or else.. it's just.. science..
    You should gut it and make it into a dedicated track car, think of how much you could make selling all of the flawless interior parts

Flawless? HA! You haven't seen it in person.I'll save as much as I can then just part out the rest, but it was a good learning bed for what I should and shouldn't do and I'll apply that to the wagon. It's in pieces now anyways and I was going to use the driveshaft, diff and axles in the wagon along with the new wavetrac I bought specifically for the diff out of the 540. The rockers are completely rusted out, the transmission output shaft is leaking and the ECU isn't working properly. I already have enough headaches so this is going to sit in a field until I get my other cars sorted out. If I really start to hate the engine in the wagon I may swap the V8 over temporarily if I can figure out a way to make it work, until I can find an salvaged M5.

Well, at least it's going to a field and not a scrapyard so you can at least still look at it

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718