Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EJ257 Rebuild questions

Re: EJ257 Rebuild questions

If you remember my thread from a few years ago Dave, I basically did the same thing that you want to do here. (but to a honda)

I went with Wiseco pistons, Manley rods and ACL race bearings.

AMCO bored my block out .020" over, honed, resurfaced, and assembled the short block to my specs... Ran about $1400 in machining and labor all said and done.

I will be forever hesitant to have another block built in tbay. (even though mine has held up good so far *knock on wood*) Sending it out and having it professionally done by a shop that has done hundreds of high performance engines of your exact motor type is worth its weight in gold. Even if it costs $1000 more... the peace of mind is worth it in my opinion.

But, Curtis is pretty current on the old subaru motor as of recent... maybe he can hook up up. lol
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

Senior Member test Curtis_conway's Avatar

I think the biggest thing is knowing what you need to get done at the machine shop....general boring and decking doesn't require the most talented machinist in the world but if you were getting into sleaving or plating your block you might go with a shop that does it everyday.

If you can do all the measuring and checking clearances yourself then you'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis_conway View Post
    I think the biggest thing is knowing what you need to get done at the machine shop....general boring and decking doesn't require the most talented machinist in the world but if you were getting into sleaving or plating your block you might go with a shop that does it everyday.

If you can do all the measuring and checking clearances yourself then you'll be ok.
    I'm sure if I have any questions I can find someone who knows things *wink wink*

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    2000 Toyota Tacoma

k so this may be happening... I had to drive the car to work once while my girlfriend was back from school for christmas. Anyways on the way home i noticed my A/F was bouncing around more than it usually does, didn't really thing anything of it. I stopped at a set of construction lights and it was idling like a tractor and wanting to stall out so that sucked other than that it drove fine so I made it home and it threw a ACVS code on me. I did some research and found that shitty oil can cause the solenoid for the intake timing to not work right so i flushed the oil out of it and put fresh stuff in seemed to idle fine cool! Drive it to breakfast the next day A/F started bouncing around again and idling like a tractor again so shit made it home and it started throwing misfire codes on me then. I pulled the 2 timing solenoids swapped them side to side and checked the coils and plugs. I borrowed a compression tester from shawn and checked that as well it came out 100-95 on all all 4 cylinders so its definitely low but it is pretty high mileage. After i threw it all back together the codes cleared and it idled fine but would "burble" (for lack of a better word) every once in a while and my A/F would dive. I haven't had a chance to take it for a drive since I put it back together so I'm not sure if its better. Can anyone think of anything else I should check before I expect the worst?? Got nothing but time now as Seija is back in toronto now

2000 Toyota Tacoma

Curtis...

This may be better suited for a subie forum Dave

But in all honesty... pull that motor and send it down to the states for a REBUILD OF EXTREME FORGE-NESS!
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

I hate subie forums its like "my rear wheel is making a squeaking noise... oh shit ringlands bro!!!" just figured I'de try you fine gents out. I have no idea how to pull a motor that's half the problem lol

2000 Toyota Tacoma

You just keep taking out things that look like they are holding it in until it falls out... easy bro.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

simple enough i guess. just need a crane

2000 Toyota Tacoma

Read a few how tos and watch videos on YouTube. There should be lots on pulong Subaru motors. Especially considering you might as well pull the motor to change the plugs. Damn sideways motors

Oh man I hate plugs on this thing... never too many extensions and ujoints on hand for that job lol

2000 Toyota Tacoma

If you end up pulling the motor you can use my hoist. Fold-able. It can fit in the back of your truck.

Do your research and buy all the parts for 600HP and text me when you are ready for it haha
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

I got a good handle on the parts I want it's just a matter of finding things for a decent price now with the dollar being absolutely terrible..

2000 Toyota Tacoma

Just get Curtis to rebuild it. He can do it while drunk, with his eyes closed and a small Asian gently cupping his balls
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

If you plan on pulling the motor out and need some help, let me know.

Also, Have you changed and gapped your spark plugs recently? I'm pretty sure if that were to cause a misfire, it would still shoot of the same codes.
    Last edited by Mitsubaru; 01-07-2016 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniD1CK5 View Post
    Just get Curtis to rebuild it. He can do it while drunk, with his eyes closed and a small Asian gently cupping his balls
    Didn't know Howard is into cupping...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    "That is one quick Prius!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast