Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OEM Air Filter Performance vs Aftermarket - Interesting Article with Data

Re: OEM Air Filter Performance vs Aftermarket - Interesting Article with Data

What... No.. That's not true at all.

If you get sand (worst case scenario here) in your intake, it goes in through your head and into your block, where your pistons will grind it against the cylinder walls and - like you quoted - scratch the fuck out of your sleeves.. Good oil wont prevent that as you should not have oil in your cylinders. Oil in your cylinders means you're burning it because it's leaking in somewhere - valve seals, piston rings etc..

A great oil filter wont catch the sand and prevent initial damage.

Your air filter being a piece of shit and your oil filter being awesome does not even things out. Not at all. Two different parts of the engine dude.. Where air and fuel go is a different animal to where oil and coolant go..

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    What... No.. That's not true at all.

If you get sand (worst case scenario here) in your intake, it goes in through your head and into your block, where your pistons will grind it against the cylinder walls and - like you quoted - scratch the fuck out of your sleeves.. Good oil wont prevent that as you should not have oil in your cylinders. Oil in your cylinders means you're burning it because it's leaking in somewhere - valve seals, piston rings etc..

A great oil filter wont catch the sand and prevent initial damage.

Your air filter being a piece of shit and your oil filter being awesome does not even things out. Not at all. Two different parts of the engine dude.. Where air and fuel go is a different animal to where oil and coolant go..
    Ok...Well I seem like an idiot now lol I'm just curious though, how come for warranty purposes on new vehicles, the interval oil changes shorten for "severe" driving conditions such has dusty environments and so forth?

I'm going to make up an answer to that one and make it seem like I know exactly why.. Here's an example.. My drive home today consisted of an hour (60km) of highway and back country hills etc. - usually this takes me 45 minutes. It took me an hour and a half today because the snow storm we had (and why I was sent home early from work) ended up pushing snow higher than the guard rails and I was literally plowing snow with my bumper on my truck for a good 40km. Skimming is more accurate to plowing..

Anyway. I couldn't get out of 4th for most of the drive. 3rd was the gear of choice - some hills I was in 2nd. The entire time I was putting additional load on my engine than I normally would have. Pushing through snow requires more effort on the engine than nice smooth pavement, and with that load my engine temps would increase and the overall stress on my engine would increase. My oil would have to work harder to keep things lubricated and clean.

Dusty environments make your engine work harder, any extreme temperatures etc.. With your engine working harder your oil will break down quicker and not do its job as effectively. That, to me, is why you change it more often..

lol Thanks man.

-40 cold starts.. Harsh environment.
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Another thing with higher flowing filters is if you aren't tuned for it there's a very good chance you're going to be running lean under load which is not good

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    2000 Toyota Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by Sooby View Post
    Another thing with higher flowing filters is if you aren't tuned for it there's a very good chance you're going to be running lean under load which is not good
    Maybe in 1994

Quote Originally Posted by squarebit View Post
    Maybe in 1994
    Maybe just a Subaru thing lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    2000 Toyota Tacoma

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12