Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: New safety standards coming!

New safety standards coming!

I guess it was time for an update but its going to be a lot harder to get cars on the road, that's for sure!

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/01/18/se...ion-standards/
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Re: New safety standards coming!

Lighting requirements have been changed to incorporate the lighting equipment required by the federal safety standard at the time the vehicle was new.
    I hope this means auto fail for drop in HIDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

This will start a war but I'm on the fence, there are other tech's on here that will agree with me in saying that MOST technicians have enough common sense to know weather or not a vehicle should be on the road. Personally, I'm pretty strict with safety's because its my licence and job basically on the line. It's almost getting impossible to sell something that is more than say 10 years old. And due to simply the cost of what i assume looks to be quite a job now i can almost see shops maybe getting out of doing safety's, let alone the added liability now.

my own way of thinking is that they are trying to push purchace of new cars which for some people is getting a bit un-affordable, go look around at most new car lots and find me a half decently equipped half ton for under $40000.

the government will allways play the safety card and we know that. but at what point do you say it's a bit rediculous
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

I remember seeing a petition to try and stop the change with people claiming that it won't allow for modified cars and I went and read the entire new manual and there was nothing in it that seemed unreasonable. A lot of it seemed like they were just updating it for modern vehicles and making it so that you can't take a pile of shit in for safety and have it on the roads. As it says in the article, it's the first time in 42 years that the standards have been updated, that's longer than most of us have been alive and I'm sure everyone here knows how far cars have come since then.

What I find kind of funny is that people complain about them updating the safety standards yet using the same reasoning they complaining about speed limits and how "cars have come a long way since speed limits were introduced".

Here's a direct link to the new standards just so people can take a look at it. I personally couldn't find anything absurd in the new standards, if you do post them up, I'm interested to see what people think is too strict.
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tru...n-standard.pdf
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Like I said on Facebook, Badanai has been doing almost all of these since I started. The only thing I caught was the vehicle height thing.. Must be oem. Which I'd have to measure some trucks on the lot to see how much of a diff say a full levelling kit would exceed oem specs. Lifts have never been legal as far as I know.

Oh and you guys got ur wish on the hid bulbs in non projector housings. Lol

A bro-truck with a texting driver could pretty much annihilate a sedan stopped at a light.

I honestly don't see it as a big deal... most of the cars that pass a legit safety would have checked 99% of these boxes already.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tremblay View Post
    I honestly don't see it as a big deal... most of the cars that pass a legit safety would have checked 99% of these boxes already.
    My thoughts exactly
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

The best way to implement safer vehicles is frequent inspections on top of strict first time inspections. Ontario is hard to pass if you have a pile of shit but nova Scotia is easy because things aren't as strict here. However we have inspections every year or two so you can't safety something in 1990 and drive it indefinitely while it falls apart... but you can register a car in your name if it has a valid inspection and not get it redone until it expires. ...

A combination of strategies would be the best I think. Would pull a lot of hoopty shit off the road..

Hey... keep quiet with those crazy ideas Kevin... 93 civics shouldn't be subject to the trauma and stress of periodic inspection. lol
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

It's all the same stuff mechanics with common sense have been calling on vehicles for last 10 years.
    It just helps us back up why it should be fixed.
    So once they get it saftied with the stock suspension and drive it home and bolt on all the happy crap and do the shitty work and leave bolts loose or cut things out that are structure. Then its the same shit as what's on the roads now anyway. .. I only see this effecting shops selling used cars or people buying other people's garbage

It's saddens me when I think that certain things like a properly installed lift kit, which dare I say, can make a vehicle safer in some cases by replacing old, worn out parts with fresh pieces will get denied a safety.

With that being said, it all depends on where and who you bring your vehicles to. If a mechanic and shop are fair, I don't think these updated laws will affect people getting vehicles on the road. If something is out of whack, you as the vehicle owner should be fixing it.