Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Clear Plenum and Pulses (Video)

Re: Clear Plenum and Pulses (Video)

Quote Originally Posted by 4speed View Post
    ive seen some combos that still make good n/a power after having chambers softened combined with a large quench. compression was still high though ~14:1. i would have to agree though, the tuneups get less and less forgiving as you go down in valve angle.

shorter runners are often seen if peak rpm is going to be very high, which goes back to the pulses seen in the video. i think it is definitely possible to optimize runner length. prostock guys kept all this business covered for years, and would still be doing it if it wasnt for the recent rule changes. there is definitely power to be had, even without altering other aspects such as the valve events.

id also be willing to bet a tunnel ram with 2x4s would outperform a single 4 on an stock sbc.
    I like that you talk like you know....I just wish you would speak from personal experiences. You reference stuff that is so out of your grasp it's nuts. Like you actually know what the pro stock guys are up to....lol.

The enthusiasm is incredible and the local car enthusiasts need someone like you but make sure you're not misleading.

Ok so how many out there tried different intakes and carbs? My experience I've ran a shitty china single plane intakes and figured I'd anti up and buy the best on the market....and gasket matched the fancy brand new best of the best never to be matched intake to only pick up a tenth....so disappointed...What's your experience?

I'm not stock anymore. I'm not talking about stock stuff. And if anyone on here wants to line up against my lil small block . Let's do it. And I'll rev that fuckin lil bitch to 10,000 rpm to make my power ....lol

Curtis might be missing what I was talking about. When you optimize runner length it is to the current combo.
    Not very sbc will need a 7 inch runner . It's depends on combo and what the motor is going to want.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis_conway View Post
    I like that you talk like you know....I just wish you would speak from personal experiences. You reference stuff that is so out of your grasp it's nuts. Like you actually know what the pro stock guys are up to....lol.

The enthusiasm is incredible and the local car enthusiasts need someone like you but make sure you're not misleading.
    based on how quickly you discounted the physics involved in what was demonstrated in the video, im not sure you judged my grasp accurately. the pulse wave, runner length, and plenum concept is not very complicated and honestly fairly intuitive. i have obviously not had back to back dyno time with variable runner lengths, however based on the physics and available information from testing others have done, there is definitely efficiency to be gained that cant really be argued with. i also dont believe anything i have said is misleading. please correct me if i am wrong at all.

in regards to the pro stock programs, the info is there if you know where to look. lots of interesting challenges for all teams to face due to the switch to efi, theory and discussion regarding this is available from a few outlets. let me know if youre interested in a read.

what considerations did you make in changing the intake? what sort of gains did you expect? what makes an intake 'the best' or better than others? as im sure you know, runner length, plenum volume and distribution, msca, taper must be taken into consideration with valve events to optimize an intake tract. throwing parts at a setup because they have a big price tag is not going to make power unless it is selected to improve in one of those areas.

opting out of a gasket match may have even performed better at the track if port velocities tended to the low side. who knows. stuff to think about.
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

It's not hard to find this stuff out . It's all about who you talk to. Right now I have my heads at mm racing engines and I asked about intake runners and he won't spill any beans. Thay have so much time tied up into r and d with there sheet metal program that they gaurd it with there lives. That's how they make there living.

Meanwhile there's a program that has been around for a long time called pipemax and it's only like 75 bucks us. You put in all your info for your engine combo. And I mean everything...and it will pump out what you need for headers and intakes. But again it's all in the info you put in it. If you measure wrong or type in wrong it will be out to lunch.

There's places like speed talk .com that get in depth with everything if you have an account.

I message the prostock driver laughigan all the time asking him stuff. He won't come out and tell you what they are doing . But if you ask the right questions he will tell you what they have seen

Not sure where the argument is Goin at this point anyways. I thought it was a cool video and I got something out of it. And I know I'll be building my intake for my motor with runner length and plenum size in mind.
    And if you guys don't think it's possible or think it stupid...whatever doesn't matter.

I know I gotta keep trying things to make my turd go faster

Brandon you talk to much.

And Brian...I might be able to help if you can't get the info out of those guys....I work with that kind of stuff at work��
    Last edited by Curtis_conway; 01-21-2016 at 09:17 PM.

FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

This thread>----------

My head->

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    2000 Toyota Tacoma

Conway, you're not being very James-y.

That first vid shows that runner length does matter. The other one, Cale, was already posted in this thread and what I got from it is a bit of exhaust restriction doesn't make a huge power difference. I mean, putting some thought into what parts go on your motor is a good thing and understanding how they work together. Is buying the most expensive part going to get you the best performance, not always. And neither will the cheapest. They might even be comparable but doing a little homework won't cost anything and there's a good chance you'll figure out what combination works best. Worst case scenario you learn something. I agree with trying it to know for sure or if you can test it on the dyno then even better. I've never seen the inside of a plenum before and found all these videos very interesting and enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post
    Conway, you're not being very James-y.

Good thread Brandon, who would of known about all those pulses? You guys really know your intake systems, can't wait to see this knowledge pay off for you guys.(smiles)

I AM ANGRY TOO

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis_conway View Post
    Good thread Brandon, who would of known about all those pulses? You guys really know your intake systems, can't wait to see this knowledge pay off for you guys.(smiles)
    literally LOL'd
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

I know it's all good on here. Everyone wants to feel loved.

But on a side note

If anyone wants to line up and do some racing this year I'm game.

So turbo guys. Bump your boost

Nitrous guys fill your bottles

All motor guys.....well ....what can I say....double check your math on the intakes ,headers ,cam choice,carb tune and gearing.

let's do this

What about bike guys... Like im allready enough of a loner on here!!
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

OK, road course at Brainard let's go
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Quote Originally Posted by MiniD1CK5 View Post
    OK, road course at Brainard let's go
    HA! Like that'll ever happen
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast