Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clear Plenum and Pulses (Video)

Senior Member test

Clear Plenum and Pulses (Video)

fascinating video, hopefully it will spark some intelligent discussion.

Last edited by 4speed; 01-21-2016 at 02:36 PM.
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

Re: Clear Plenum and Pulses (Video)

I... I was worried for John's finger.

"Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Senior Member test

Quote Originally Posted by squarebit View Post
    I... I was worried for John's finger.
    not something you usually come across in the dyno room. however it was interesting to see the pulsing, possible reversion upon intake valve closing or pressure change from adjacent intake valve opening

thank you Nabs.
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

Senior Member test Curtis_conway's Avatar

You want intelligent convo? Lol well logan would tell people that his NA civic made 1.5 pounds of boost because of this pulse stuff...lol

How is this helpful...I'm not seeing anything helpful. Help

Senior Member test

You gotta get the pulse to hit at the right times. That's where plenum volume and intake runner length come into play. Valve closes and air hits back of valve and bounces back down the runner towards the plenum. Valve opens and you want the pulse to be bouncing back at the right time so it pushes into the head. That's how you get a higher volumetric efficiency.

Same as header tube length. Anyone can build a set of headers that bolt up to the motor but if you have the right length they will help pull out of the chamber.

No one on here will care about this stuff anyways. You guys just add more fuel and boost.....lol

I'll be in rhe corner with my small block and calculator

Very neat, this really shows how runner length can affect the performance of a manifold.

Brandon, if you click the button that looks like a film strip at the top of the text box, you can paste the video link and it should embed for you.

Brian, didn't you just get your headers re-worked? I'm sure you put a lot of thought into size and shape.

Senior Member test

hey brian,
    i agree. runner length and mcsa changes are more intuitive, however id be interested to see any dampening effects on the pulses by changing plenum volumes.

also curious as to the degree of difference the plexiglass made in the visible fuel pooling and surface saturation versus an as-cast surface. i know i did not expect to see that much fuel out of suspension

Quote Originally Posted by briangodecki View Post
    No one on here will care about this stuff anyways. You guys just add more fuel and boost.....lol

I'll be in rhe corner with my small block and calculator
    my goal with this post was to get people thinking about this sort of thing. maximum effort na applications are becoming pretty rare and people tend to overlook many of the intricacies of the system by substituting, like you said, more boost, etc.
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

Senior Member test

Heads are out right now getting cnc'd . Ported my last set .but these ones are way to pricey for me to do without a flow bench. To easy to loose velocity.

But im working on my intake design right now. And I'll be checking my headers when I get all my head data figured out

Senior Member test

Quote Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post
    Very neat, this really shows how runner length can affect the performance of a manifold.

Brandon, if you click the button that looks like a film strip at the top of the text box, you can paste the video link and it should embed for you.

Brian, didn't you just get your headers re-worked? I'm sure you put a lot of thought into size and shape.
    thank you marc, fixed it

- - - Updated - - -

brian, what changes are you planning for the intake? still 2-4 sheet metal ram i assume?
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

Senior Member test

Yea 2x4 still but hoping to optimize runner length and plenum volume. My ports are going to be much larger so that intake won't work anymore

Senior Member test

whos program are you having done on the heads? and will the new intake be plumbed for any systems?
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

Senior Member test

Sticking n/a still . I will plumb it just because if I put a kit on its there. And don't have to pull intake that day.. heads will only handle 150 shot without doing nitrous head work. And then I'll loose power on motor. So all motor it is

M&m race engines are doing the cnc work.

Senior Member test Curtis_conway's Avatar

Do you feel that you can actually optimize the runner length? I feel the bigger and longer you go the higher you'll have to rev it to make it work. I feel that it's all about the whole set up. Ie tunnel ram on a stock sbc isn't going to make it produce more power at higher rpm...you need the complete deal.

- - - Updated - - -

The days of reinventing the wheel are gone. All the testing has been done.

- - - Updated - - -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIj...tspjL7KTzWCG3w

Can I optimize your headers? Lol please??

Senior Member test

Quote Originally Posted by briangodecki View Post
    .. heads will only handle 150 shot without doing nitrous head work. And then I'll loose power on motor. So all motor it is
    ive seen some combos that still make good n/a power after having chambers softened combined with a large quench. compression was still high though ~14:1. i would have to agree though, the tuneups get less and less forgiving as you go down in valve angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis_conway View Post
    Do you feel that you can actually optimize the runner length? I feel the bigger and longer you go the higher you'll have to rev it to make it work. I feel that it's all about the whole set up. Ie tunnel ram on a stock sbc isn't going to make it produce more power at higher rpm...you need the complete deal.
    shorter runners are often seen if peak rpm is going to be very high, which goes back to the pulses seen in the video. i think it is definitely possible to optimize runner length. prostock guys kept all this business covered for years, and would still be doing it if it wasnt for the recent rule changes. there is definitely power to be had, even without altering other aspects such as the valve events.

id also be willing to bet a tunnel ram with 2x4s would outperform a single 4 on an stock sbc.
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast