Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage Lifts

Question Garage Lifts

While I was working on my car yesterday I was thinking about how much I hate rolling around on the ground and not being able to easy get at things or get good leverage and I figured I'd look into getting a lift.

I'm looking for a 2 post lift with a base plate and around a 8000-10,000lb capacity and I'd like to keep it under $2500 US if possible.
    I've tried to do a little research and one of the more budget friendly brands (<$2000) that seems to be popular is the Atlas, although their customer service is a general complaint. I've also seen good things about Direct-Lift, and Eagle. The next tier up would be Dannmar or BendPak although their lifts start around the $2700-2900 range.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on specific brands such as which ones are good, which ones to avoid?

Thanks!
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Re: Garage Lifts

Shawn Allen... He got his from Harbor freight in the states.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tremblay View Post
    Harbor freight
    They only sell 6000b scissor lifts, and they cost as much as a 2 post lift
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

I have the wide 2 post 9000 lb atlas from greg smith equipment
    Let me know if you have questions. I use it almost every day. Lifts my duramax no problem

I'm guessing that's one of the 11-12' ones with the overhead bar? As much as I want one of those our garage is just over 9' tall so I have to stick with the shorter base plate style ones.

Does it flex at all with the truck on there? I'm sure I'd have to work on my dad's mega cab cummins and I think it would be getting close to the limit for the lift

How/where did you get yours? Did you pick it up from one of the warehouses in the states or did you have it shipped to the border or to Canada? The 1400b shipping weight sounds like fun without a forklift.

Did you have to do anything special for the concrete pad? I know they say they require 4" of concrete with 3000psi but I've heard of people just using their existing concrete. I'm not sure what we have currently in our garage but I'm sure I could find out.

Have you had any issues with the lift at all?

No issues. Lifts good. I always put a stand under the back when working on a big truck.

Shipped to rydens. They have a fork lift and tossed it on my trailer.

My pad was 4 inch thick

Awesome, thanks Brian! Now I just have to part with my money...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by briangodecki View Post
    Shipped to rydens.
    One more question, how much was the shipping? When I input the address on their site it comes up as $0 and I highly doubt it's free

Want to say 180? Was about a year half or 2 years ago. They email back pretty quick if you try to get ahold of them. And rydens was 20 for a "pallet"

I kept the height of my garage at 13' because I didn't want to heat the unnecessary space. I regret it now. Could have been near 20'.

Quote Originally Posted by squarebit View Post
    I kept the height of my garage at 13' because I didn't want to heat the unnecessary space. I regret it now. Could have been near 20'.
    that was my old man's thought exactly when he built his new garage...he's also regretting it
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

What would you need 20 ft for? 14 ft would be max I would ever go. Mine now is only 11' 6" .
    Will lift a car to top locks on the hoist. If I was working on cube vans more often I would go 14'

Quote Originally Posted by squarebit View Post
    Not sure if sarcasm or actual regret...

I wish I had 13', I'd be able to fully lift the car and actually stand underneath it. I'm stuck with a measly 9' and will have to either croutch or use a stool.

Most slabs (if built to code), will have 4". Personally, I would cut the slab and reinforce the areas where the mounts of the lift are going to be installed....but that's just a carpenters opinion!

Just my personal opinion but I don't think I would bother if you've only got 9' of height.. Too bad the building is up, 3 rows of concrete block would have gone a long way.. I mean I guess you would be on the ok side with the bmw but as far as working on a truck goes forget it
    ---
    2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 PSD, 315 75 duratracs, Muffler delete, 6637 intake, bilstein 5100s, f-350 x codes front, homemade lift shackles, 4in block rear

Garage Lifts

Yeah unfortunately it was built over 10 years ago and I didn't know I would be into cars, as much as I am, at that point and I still wasn't even close to driving.

As for the height, I figure the BMWs the are just over 4' so I'd be able to get close to 5' of room underneath. While I'd like 6', so I can stand up completely, I might just have to make due.

I also have the option of building an addition to the garage that would be tall enough for an overhead lift. I might go with this option but obviously it would cost quite a bit more and would take a little while longer. I'll probably take my time before I make a final decision, it all depends on if a flex fuel kit comes out for my or not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast