Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project: Bought not Built (C240)

Re: Project: Bought not Built (C240)

Quote Originally Posted by bANONYMOUS View Post
    Doesn't work.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    Doesn't work.
    I posted this with my phone while still at Hatchy's, BB Code video tags don't work with mobile links for some reason, but I'm back home now and fixed it using a link from my computer.

Made a shitty video of the car

cool video, you must have alot of time on your hands lol
    WhEn LiFe KnOcKs YoU dOwN, cAlMlY gEt Up, SmIlE aNd PoLiTeLy SaY.... "YoU hIt LiKe A bItCh"

Not much of an update but I took the car off the road to do a bunch of work to it, I needed to change a ball joint so I decided I'm doing all four control arms, inner and outer tie rod ends, sway bar end links, front and rear bearings, front and rear brake rotors, and finally lowering the front 1.5-2" with springs to match the saggy rear springs until coilovers happen.

So far I have the car tucked away in the yard, everything on the front is broken loose and ready to be pulled apart, going to start on that tomorrow. This car is really weird to work on (the fuck is a 9mm bolt?) but so god damn easy compared to a fucking Volkswagen

If you haven't changed your suspension parts yet, I'd like to be there to help out and learn how to change those parts. If of course, you don't mind and it aligns with my days off. Let me know.

The suspension was done awhile ago, I changed everything so far, only down fall is the god damn parking brake fell off in pieces when I changed the rear callipers, so I need new parking brake assembly's, they're like $300 online for used ones and new shoes with a hardware kit so I have all new springs and stuff. The front is lowered 2" on the new springs, after cleaning everything up and changing all the parts, the front end is completely solid so my struts are fine, it was probably just a bad end link or something making the clunk. I still have to do an alignment, change the combination switch for the signals, and now replace all the parking brake assembly. but once that's done I'm going to be done with the car for awhile, I was going to buy wheels and I just don't care anymore, I'm putting the hub caps back on and I'm going to rock the "I've given up on pursuing anything in life" look until this thing dies or I end up selling it.

I didn't take many pictures as I just wanted to get the job done but this is how it sits with the new springs in the front, it's a 1.5-2" drop, the wheel gap is should be same as the rear once it settles. The rear arch is physically lower then the front so the only way to have equal wheel gap is to have rake, so the back is noticeably higher then the front now, but the wheel gap is the same so I'm content. Keeping in mind the springs aren't settled yet so right now it's probably closer to 1-1.5" drop, should settle around 2" once I start driving it again.

I'm not really sure what I'm doing with my life any more, so this a real thing that happened..

Tried washing the hub caps to see if maybe I could stand having them on the car if the brake dust burn is removed with some scotchbrite, the curb rash is way worse then I thought after cleaning them..

This is where I got carried away and started removing the emblems

Washed them all after the emblems were removed

Started sanding out the curb rash

Set up a make shift paint booth since the car was out on the road for now

Filler primer

I was going to level out the filler primer and make them nice but at this point I questioned my existence and decided to just paint them the way they are

After the clear was down they turned out better then I was expecting but still up to shit standards for what I was planning

You can see some orange peel in the reflection

I could't stand the orange peel and ended up wet sanding them a bit so I could go over with a better clear coat, chemicals weren't having it and they reacted with each other, so the entire job like my life was a huge waste of time. Now I get to do it all over again because they look worst then when I started..

Sanded down and repainted

Recleared and ready to go, I'm done with how they came out, never being touched again.

Up close of the finish after repairing and repainting them

Snapped the emblems back in

And back on the car to never be touched again until I find some wheels

they look pretty good, definatly clean the look of the car up.
    WhEn LiFe KnOcKs YoU dOwN, cAlMlY gEt Up, SmIlE aNd PoLiTeLy SaY.... "YoU hIt LiKe A bItCh"

I forgot I had this trunk lip so I put it on today, and I also forgot to post pictures of debadging the trunk

Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 09-02-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Junior Member test

Lip spoiler adds some flair! I dig it!

That looks like an M3 style lip...
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Well I have a growing box of almost all of the remaining parts so I put a few of them on.

Old broken side marker from how I got it, scrap yards wanted $60 cash for one, the dealer wanted $50+tax

I picked up these two DEPO OE replacement ones in clear rather then amber, got them off of Amazon for $60 Canadian shipped (not to be confused with the $25 ones off of eBay that look rice as fuck), so they're half price compared to scrap yard prices for one, and I get two new ones that I feel match the car a little better seeing as every other light on it is clear aside from the tail lights.

Next on the list was the mirror signal, surprisingly enough it still worked like this, it's tiny little incandescent bulbs, not LED's like I was thinking they were so water didn't damage them at all

This car continues to surprise me with how easy it is to work on, it was a spring clip and two plastic clips to remove the mirror glass, and then another metal clip inside the mirror to remove the entire thing, didn't need any screw drivers or anything aside from the philips screws to hold the actual signal onto the mirror housing, there's not even any wiring plugs, the mirror housing has the plug on it so when you slide it back on, it plugs it back in for you.

Used OEM mirror signal from a scrap yard, looks brand new after I polished it to remove the scrap yard markings.

The headlights look really out of place now, they were only buffed so I'm going to pull them when I take off the bumper to start the body work on the fenders, might just replace the fenders entirely depending how much OEM ones will be, not going aftermarket for body panels, I don't trust them. But the headlights are going to be polished properly (sanded/cleared/wetsanded/buffed) when that happens so the whole front end is still going to under go a lot of cosmetics.

Love it when you buy parts without checking the boxes first and then waiting too long to return them, rear brake shoe kit for the parking brake and one of the set springs is missing. I ended up finding one of the old ones that was still usable

I swapped out the rear sway bar end links and took it for a test drive around the block, the clunk in the rear is completely gone now (thank you MBWorld for the suggestion of my issue), the squeak is also gone which people on MBWorld were telling me it's the shock bushings but after greasing them, nothing happened, but the squeak went away with the end links so everything rear end noise related was those end links, changing them fixed all the issues I was having. I was trying to do the parking brake but the rusted out dust shields are what hold the brake shoes on, so I need to locate new or very close to new w203 rear dust shields for some what cheap, currently on a pretty tight budget as I'm working on four vehicles at the moment and soon to have a new job coming up.

If anyone knows where I can find those rear dust shields for the brakes so I can get this parking brake finally finished it would be a huge help, I'm going to go to the dealer on Monday so fingers crossed I get someone who's not a complete fucking asshole and they'll actually order parts for me rather then bitching at me about how I'm wrong and those aren't the parts I need because what they know is best.. I fucking hate Lakehead, worst dealer I have ever dealt with.. I'm dreading Monday

On a side note, anyone know of a garage that won't call ABS Light because one or all of the wheel sensors are bad and Check Engine Light for one or all of the four O2 Sensors. I haven't ordered them yet so I'm looking for place that would over look that if I can show them the parts are on their way just so I can get this done sooner because I need a vehicle to get to work, it's going to be on another 10 day on Monday and I'm trying to get it done by next week if I can find those dust shields.
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 09-02-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Senior Member test

Abs light is considered a "tell tale" and won't fail new saftey standards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast