Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New here

Re: New here

I'm assuming you did but did you gap your spark plugs?

Junior Member test

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsubaru View Post
    I'm assuming you did but did you gap your spark plugs?
    I did not. This being my first car I've worked on, I am still learning a lot. I will have to check it out! Thanks!

No Problem. It should say in your manual what your gap space should be for your spark plugs. You'll have to buy a gap spacer. Pretty cheap. 5 bucks usually.

Member test

Yay a new vw person! Me and clutched were eyeing up your car at Kia, looks mint.

Good luck with getting the misfire sorted out, andrew can work his magic for sure 👍

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Junior Member test

Quote Originally Posted by 2pointno View Post
    Yay a new vw person! Me and clutched were eyeing up your car at Kia, looks mint.

Good luck with getting the misfire sorted out, andrew can work his magic for sure 

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the compliment! Hopefully with Andrew's help I can get the misfire and problems taken care of before the snow melts! She misses being driven haha

Junior Member test

Just an update on the current status of my car.

In the past two weeks I have changed the spark plugs, the coil pack for the misfiring cylinder, the front O2 sensor, and the oil dipstick tube, and also tightened up the bolts on the waste gate.

Changing the O2 sensor took my car out of "limp mode" which is what was causing me to believe there was an issue with the turbo. It seems to run a lot better and there was no longer and carbon soot dripping out of the exhaust with the water. There still seemed to be a bit of a sputter with the engine when it came to temp where the rpm would drop around 50-75ish rpm's. I did some reading and found out that a broken dipstick tube can also cause some idling issues due to the extra air coming into the engine, and after changing it out, it seemed to fix the problem. Once the engine got up to temperature, the sputter came back once again. When I would rev the engine, the carbon soot would leave a very noticeable trail from the exhaust as well.

I hooked up my code reader and no codes came up for the engine, but I did get an SRS code "Supply Voltage B+", meaning my batter voltage is too low. I had a feeling my battery was slowly dying on me, but was not sure if it might also be my alternator. Could this low voltage issue have anything to do with the sputter? My idea is that it might be causing the fuel pump to surge or cause an issue with the injectors.

I am running out of ideas as to what it could be. My next plan is to get a compression test done and have the alternator checked out as well. Where would you guys recommend having those two tests done?

Id love to get some feedback from you guys as to what you think it might be or things to do to re-asses the problem.

Thanks guys!

Senior Member test

If the battery low DTC was on the airbags, don't worry about it. Airbag codes don't self clear like ECM codes.

I think the next issue to tackle is to find out if there is any sort of remap on the ECM to compensate for the larger injectors. I am thinking not based on how black those sparkplugs were.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe this weekend we can check the fuel trims and do some logging to see what is going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

I'm gonna lay money that this thing was thrown together by someone who knew little too nothing about turbos or vehicles in general. Best bet is to take it too someone who is knowledgeable and have them look over the entire setup, otherwise you're going too be chasing your tail looking for issues. Buying a modified car is a huge gamble unless it's from someone you know and even then
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Junior Member test

Quote Originally Posted by dorkage View Post
    If the battery low DTC was on the airbags, don't worry about it. Airbag codes don't self clear like ECM codes.

I think the next issue to tackle is to find out if there is any sort of remap on the ECM to compensate for the larger injectors. I am thinking not based on how black those sparkplugs were.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe this weekend we can check the fuel trims and do some logging to see what is going on.

That'd be much appreciated if you are able to lend a hand!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MiniD1CK5 View Post
    I'm gonna lay money that this thing was thrown together by someone who knew little too nothing about turbos or vehicles in general. Best bet is to take it too someone who is knowledgeable and have them look over the entire setup, otherwise you're going too be chasing your tail looking for issues. Buying a modified car is a huge gamble unless it's from someone you know and even then
    I completely agree with you. Unfortunately I don't know anyone knowledgeable in town who would be able to look at the entire setup. I soon learned after buying it that it was a gamble, but thats one mistake I won't be making again.. "Too good to be true" type thing

its a Nice car.. just gotta get it straightened out!

2003-350Z
    2005-Acura EL
    2000-Maxima
    2001-Elantra
    1990-Spirit

Junior Member test

Quote Originally Posted by Snidd View Post
    its a Nice car.. just gotta get it straightened out!
    That's my plan!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12