Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here

Junior Member test

New here

Hi guys, I am new to the site and would be more than happy to receive some feedback or help to get my car back up and running to 100%.

I have a 2003 VW Jetta 1.8t with some tasteful mods all around, especially under the hood. Unfortunately I have a misfire in the first cylinder and have already changed the spark plugs and the coil pack but unfortunately neither fixed the problem. I am wondering if there are any VW enthusiasts on here who could help assist me in determining the problem. I have read numerous online forums but with misfires it could be so many different factors.

I know I have a broken seal on the turbo and the oil dipstick tube needs replacing as it cracked at the very bottom. Could either of these have anything to do with it?

Are there any places in town that tune aftermarket cars, or is this a project I am going to have to take on myself?

Thanks for the feedback!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whip.jpg  
    Last edited by MarcGSR; 03-03-2016 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added image inline

Re: New here

Nice looking car. Is there a check engine light on? What about PCV check valve??

Senior Member test

Welcome VW Brother.

I also have a shitbox.

I've had a lot of MK4s in my day, so I should be able to help with most things. I've never had a 1.8t, but my good buddy had one for quite awhile. I doubt the oil seal in the turbo has anything to do with the misfire, but the dipstick might have something to do with it. The 1.8ts apparently misfire with the PVC goes bad, so it might not be unrelated.

I can scan the ECM with VCDS and check some of the measuring blocks to see if we can get anymore info on this misfire.

Depending on the engine code we can probably find a couple remaps online and I have the tools to flash it.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

Junior Member test

That would be absolutely appreciated! I bought the car just last May from a guy down in Toronto with 129k on it and never winter driven. He was the one who did all the work installing an aftermarket turbo, intercooler, injectors and much more. I bought it thinking it'd be a learning experience until this problem began in December and since has barely left the driveway. I know the car runs rich as well as I brought it down to the Volkswagen Dealership to be looked and and assessed and it was them who had told me about the location of the misfire. It can't be due to the PCV pipe as I had replaced it this fall because of a misfire, which is how I ended up breaking the dipstick. The misfire disappeared for awhile until I parked it for 2 weeks when I went away for work. I came back and it just hasn't run properly since.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-02-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Member test

Nice car.!!! I had a similar Problem last summer that was caused by an intake leak. There is a Vacuum line that connects from under the intake manifold to the Fuel Pressure reg. could have been broken During pcv repair. I also have a copy of the Bentley manual on Pdf. If your interested. Cheers.

Junior Member test

Quote Originally Posted by EzBrZy View Post
    Nice car.!!! I had a similar Problem last summer that was caused by an intake leak. There is a Vacuum line that connects from under the intake manifold to the Fuel Pressure reg. could have been broken During pcv repair. I also have a copy of the Bentley manual on Pdf. If your interested. Cheers.
    Thanks for the compliment! I will certainly have to take a look and see if that might be the problem. I am also interested in a copy of the manual, that would be really helpful! Can it be emailed?

Nice rims! and welcome. I know nothing about VW but these guys know their shit.

Senior Member test

Welcome. I may have creeped your car hard at TD Bank and Kia.

Is the miss fire constant or intermittent?

Welcome to the site. I like your car, looks clean! Try not to get scared away, we are all actually pretty friendly on here.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post
    Try not to get scared away, we are all actually pretty friendly on here.
    SHUT IT MARC

Junior Member test

Quote Originally Posted by Clutched? View Post
    Welcome. I may have creeped your car hard at TD Bank and Kia.

Is the miss fire constant or intermittent?
    After changing the plugs, the misfire seemed to have went away, but after a few minutes it came back and hasn't left. It sounds worse on a cold start and then doesn't sound so rough once its warmed up a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post
    Welcome to the site. I like your car, looks clean! Try not to get scared away, we are all actually pretty friendly on here.
    Thanks for welcoming me to the site, and thanks for the compliments! It'll be great to meet everyone once the car meets start up! (Hopefully mine is up and running again before that!)

Aren't the coilpacks on these notorious for going bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Unfortunately I have a misfire in the first cylinder and have already changed the spark plugs and the coil pack but unfortunately neither fixed the problem.
    FYI Mike.

I would move them around and see if the misfire follows the bad coilpack, regardless of when they were changed out. Those things are sketchy!

Senior Member test

That's the plan when I go scan this car.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast