Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something a Little Different

Senior Member test Curtis_conway's Avatar

Re: Something a Little Different

Good job running 9's in the heat...it's not slow at all

Hey bud, that is an awesome time for stock wheel base! I wasn't able to get the Katana out this year. Just too many projects and i didn't want to pop the new engine because it wasn't tuned right. I will however be there with the ZX14. will catch up with you this weekend!!

Quote Originally Posted by bgodin23 View Post
    just a small update, i was at MAP this past weekend and was disappointed but content, in the 35 degree celsius weather i managed to run a 9.73 at 141 not exactly the 9.50 i was looking for but i did manage to make it to the final of the bracket class for the bikes where i red lighted. I believe this was partially due to the gearing. it was fine down low allowing me to get 1.50-1.75 60 foots. there were a few bad ones in there but looking at my slips thats what i averaged, however i was hitting the limiter in 6th gear i would say about 75-100 feet from the stripe possibly robbing me of a few mph and in turn maybe as much as a tenth. currently the bike is geared 16/41 and im going to try 16/39 for the weekend which changes my ratio from 2.56 to 2.43, i also have the 17 tooth front sprocket to have 17/41 which gives me 2.41. hopefully its enough to get me a few mph. if i can get the 1.50's 60 foot, stick and pull all the way through the stripe i think a 9.60-65 is possible on a stock wheelbase all motor setup.

really all i am doing is prolonging the inevitable by wasting my time and not stretching it and spraying it. but at almost $1500 for the swingarm and all the fancy stuff to go with it it may have to wait until the winter. i know it seems like a "minor" expense to the car guys but i just simply don't have the cash lol. It's harder to be fast on a stock wheelbase and i like that aspect of it but seeing one there with a similar setup to me just stretched go an 8.99 is a bit tempting.

Map was a great time, there are some badass cars coming out of Thunder Bay, seeing some of these cars run for the first time was super impressive. I understand how much work goes in to making these cars run 10's and it was awesome to see guys like Mike with the Talon and Lindsey with Integra set PB's and haul ass. Katty and Curtis to run 12's and haul ASS in the auto-x course was awesome to watch. I traveled with Mike (squarebit) and my brother for the weekend and even though we did everything we could to get the Neon to make a full pass Mike had some engine issues that shut him down for the weekend. But earlier in the week we did say it would make a pass and it did just that. Met some great people and had an awesome time and will fors ure be returning in the fall.

Hope to see everyone at Test n' Tune. Don't be scared to come say Hey!
    Very well said, nice to see more and more ppl from tbay make the trip to Proving Grounds. It is definitely an experience and everyone should go at least once!
    10 Land Rover LR4 HSE
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

well even with the crappy weather we had this weekend i still managed over 30 runs. Saturday we were cut to about 3 hours but took advantage of it i guess. Sunday we didn't end up running until around noon but ran till almost 5 and made a ton of runs. Bike ran good, still not as fast as i would like but I'm pretty sure thats all it's going to do the way its set up. 9.72 at 143 was my best pass of the weekend. I thought i had a 9.70 but i can't find the slip. i have 3 or 4 9.7 passes, a ton of 9.8, a few 9.9 and maybe 5 in the 10's so i can't complain.

had some launch control issues on Saturday, basically i would stage, grab the clutch, hold it wide open to activate the "2 step" and it would rev right to the limiter then come back down to 7200 where i had it set. unplugged everything, re-did my connection to the clutch ground circuit, cleaned all the plug in's and plugged everything back in. I should say all of the plug in's i could get at because i wasn't taking half the bike apart to get at the plug in's at the coils. whatever i did anyway it seemed to work, never hiccupped the rest of the weekend. still want to find a way to extend the ground switch at the clutch lever, buddy this weekend told me this weekend they make handles that have adjustable switches so ill have to look in to that. it shuts off a little early and still causes me to hit the limiter on the takeoff.

I didn't end up changing my gearing as I'm stupid and didn't realize that the other sprockets i have were for a 535 chain and not a 520. basically the 535 is wider than the 520. and i didn't have the gearing setup in 520 sprockets that i wanted to try so i just said screw it. funny thing was, i was able to pull all the way through the line this weekend without hitting the limiter in 6th. who knows maybe all the e-85 fumes at Brainerd were getting to my head and i was only in 5th. also this weekend i was more consistent in the 143-145 MPH range. it doesn't seem like much but for the life of me i couldn't get any higher than 141 in the states.

Test N' Tune was a great time. pumped to see Brian get his 8, alot of work went into that but THE TURD reigned supreme! also I'm assuming it was "4speed" in the silver chevelle? cudos to you for banging 4 gears like that! i even asked Brian Munkhouse(sp) in the burnout box "was that a 4 speed!?" lol. I know Barry's mustang couldn't hook but thats one bad bitch if i do say so myself. thanks to everyone that came and supported local racing regardless of conditions or weather.

Vid of 9.72
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdyB7hwgsUo

[IMG][/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2051_zps0rsopgaw.jpg  
    Last edited by bgodin23; 07-18-2016 at 09:47 PM. Reason: added pic
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Senior Member test

God job this weekend. And was good talking to you again in person.

Lol yeah that's Baldassi's chevelle with the 4 speed
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Buddy can drive thats forsure!
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Senior Member test Curtis_conway's Avatar

They have that chevelle set up with a dog box...so freakin sweet!

Oh really!? I don't think i have ever seen that
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Decided to pull my clutch cover off to see how bad it looked tonight. to be honest it wasn't THAT bad for having over 70 passes on it and who knows how many miles before that. the steels definitely had some heat in them as they were a bit discoloured but that's expected. ill keep it for a spare to my spare lol
    [IMG][/IM
    G]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

adjusted my stack height up a bit by using the thicker "shim" steels, maybe get a bit more bite with the lever closer to the bar. just makes it easier to control and eliminate the wheelies.

contacted RCC turbo the other day asking them about turbo setups, they are a very reputable Canadian company so i figured i would see if we could work something out. the trouble is the manifold, searching the internet for hours i can't find anywhere where i can buy JUST the manifold, there's really only 2 or 3 companies that even make kits. Rick from RCC basically told me it would be a custom setup and would run me over $6000 bucks. doesn't really make sense when i can buy a "complete" kit for around $3500 from Velocity Turbo. which really doesn't make sense when i can sell my bike and look for a ZX-14 or Hayabusa which have TONS of aftermarket support and anything that i would ever want to do has been done 137463746356745 times. I'm leaning that way but we'll have to see what happens throughout the winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clutch_zpsiykxsydw.jpg  
    Last edited by bgodin23; 07-18-2016 at 09:48 PM.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Dragfest was allright. Friday i found the bike a little slow for whatever reason, make 5 passes with my best being a 9.74@142, which was normal but it just didn't feel that good. Had a few wheelie problems so i pumped the back tire up from 14 Psi to 18Psi and tightened the back shock a full turn after my last run( i was expecting to get one more). Saturday morning i had a good chat with Les Maxwell and Ben Wilson, both from Thunder bay and are old school racers from back in the day, great guys. We were just talking a bit of setup and tuning and made a few adjustments but nothing major. I had good 60' foot times, all in the 1.59-1.69 area which i was happy with, but it was just after the 60' beams i was having trouble with the front wheel coming up.

Saturday, somehow i picked up a complete 10'th to my personal best running a 9.62@144 I was absolutely pumped, even with a little wheelie the bike pulled all the way through and just seemed to work. I had made 3 runs before we started the gamblers and ran all 9.6's which once again i was pumped with. i dialed in at 9.50 for the gamblers, i'm not a sandbagger and would rather go fast then chop the throttle all the way down. I was Chatting again with Ben and couldn't figure out why i couldn't get close to 150mph like i had wanted. We went over tire pressure again and it turns out I am indeed a complete Moron. When i put my new front tire on i must have popped the bead put the valve stem in and forgot to actually pump it up, it was at 14 pounds and it has been since i put it on. I was not happy and felt like a complete idiot as this would basically be acting like a sponge on the top end. Very First run after i pumped the tire up.. buddy red lighted so i just rolled out
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I could not have been happier, not the time I wanted but at least i knew the bike had 150 in it! I ended up winning the gamblers which was a nice $300, it paid for my weekend.

Sunday was not very good. When i bought this bike I knew when they first came out they had problems with 2nd gear coming out of gear after you had shifted. well wouldn't you know it it decided to happen to my bike on this very day! just my luck! first run actually was my personal best of 9.61@145.62... after that however it just went downhill couldn't get the bike to stay in 2nd gear at all. on the return road it would even pop out. ran a 10.45 or something my last run before elimination and i knew i wasn't going to go rounds lol. ended up losing to my brother first round, no excuses but dialed in at 9.58 hoping it would hold together...no dice had to go first to third and ran 9.80 which just wouldn't get it done. My Brother ended up winning the bike class. I was pretty pumped for him being a first time racer.

After talking to Paul from "Fast By Gast" in New York i decided to pull out my engine/tranny and send it to him. he quoted me $550 to install billet undercut gears and in his words make it bulletproof. yes i know i'm sending my shit to a shop to get built and I'm a loser boo hoo I don't care, for the price it isn't worth my time to do it myself and I want it done properly.

Engine removal was actually alot easier than i expected, other than a few stubborn wiring connectors it was pretty straight foreward.
    [IMG][/I
    MG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

hoping to have the motor back by mid month and running by the end of the month. Still want to get out a few more times this year.

[IMG][/IMG]

9.64, ignore the aweful redlight
    Last edited by bgodin23; 08-08-2016 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added vid
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Senior Member test

Good job! Was actually able to leave the car alone and go see you win the gamblers race on the Saturday
    Can't believe we had 3 perfect wearher days in terrace bay

Quote Originally Posted by briangodecki View Post
    Can't believe we had 3 perfect wearher days in terrace bay
    that NEVER happens
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Don't you just buy a new one now? I mean it's fine paying someone to fix it, but don't bikes come in 6 packs for bulk savings?

Or you spend less that 2 grand on the one you allready have and run 8's
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast