Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something a Little Different

Junior Member test Shawn Albert's Avatar

Re: Something a Little Different

hey. bike looks great. i saw you make a few passes at test and tune this year. i wish i could keep up haha i was there with my bikei just bought last year. im a first time rider as of last year. i have an 05 GSXR 750. basic upgrades, full exhaust, power commander, lowered a lot haha i was able to make my first ten passes at test and tune, best time was 11.05. im already planning on upgrading to an 06 GSXR 1000 soon! but only once i get better at riding the 750. im hoping to make it out to a lot more of the races next year. will likely see you around and maybe you can teach me a thing or two haha

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Albert View Post
    hey. bike looks great. i saw you make a few passes at test and tune this year. i wish i could keep up haha i was there with my bikei just bought last year. im a first time rider as of last year. i have an 05 GSXR 750. basic upgrades, full exhaust, power commander, lowered a lot haha i was able to make my first ten passes at test and tune, best time was 11.05. im already planning on upgrading to an 06 GSXR 1000 soon! but only once i get better at riding the 750. im hoping to make it out to a lot more of the races next year. will likely see you around and maybe you can teach me a thing or two haha
    Hey man! Ya I remember you! Should have came to say hi! Nobody ever does! I think I'm a nice guy lol. Anyways I always loved that era of gixxers. I would say 11.05 for your first time out is very respectable! It took me 3 years to run a 10 on my 600 and when you do it just feels awesome. I'm no pro, I am lucky I'm 150 soaked and wet with my leathers on, and I know how to hold er pinned and kick the shifter when the shift light turns on. Only advice I would give is make as many passes as you can, that's the only way to figure out your bike and what you have to do to make it plant, stick, and go straight. You can spend 1000's on parts and make minimal gains time and speed wise.

Only other thing I might suggest is that if you can flip your shifter over to a GP style shift (push down to shift up) it just eliminates a lot of hunting to get your foot under the shifter, in my personal experience anyway. Some bikes you can do it some you can't. I run a quick shifter, I like it. More practical application for drag racing is an air shifter but I don't have a problem at the speed I'm going to get my foot to the pegs to find the shifter. It's all personal preference, just have fun with it and keep making passes, you will see improvement along the way

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to update this with pics of putting my motor/tranny back in and funny thing, I didn't take any. So just reverse the pics in the earlier pics and add some cursing and swearing.

got the bike running Monday afternoon, put a few miles on it. Made a quick trip to Mexico to test out the shifting and everything seemed good so loaded up for MAP to make some passes. My brother also picked up a zx14 so he was excited to try it out on the track.

In my personal opinion September MAP was much more enjoyable than the June one. Less of a zoo, more runs and just a better time. Traveled with Mike (squarebit) and his wife who were kind enough to let me and my brother crash in their trailer. Met up with Curtis and Katty at grand portage and made the trek down with them. I guess there is a first time for everything and I can now say I have camped in a hotel parking lot with these fine people along with Kat's dad and his buddy. It was a great time lol.

managed to make 23 passes in total. Bike ran and shifted flawlessly, my very first pass was actually a PB at 9.60@146, I was honestly content with that and would have been fine if that's all I could do. Of the 23 passes I made 14 were on the Friday,there was NOBODY there and it was awesome. By the end of the day I had PB'd 4 times with 9.60, 9.57 and 2 9.54 passes, I was SUPER pumped.Saturday was another great day making 7 passes, half the amount of Friday but it was ok, my very last pass of the day I managed to run a 9.45@ 149.05 mph, words can't describe how pumped I was. At the start of the year I wanted a 9.40 pass and I had done just that. Amongst all of the fast times I had one pass at 152 mph which was also a PB. Just a great day all together personally.

Sunday we had one trial run where I went 9.60 so I decided to dial at 9.52, it was windy so I didn't figure I would be able to get into the 40's again. Naturally I raced my brother first round and he put me on the trailer running a 10.08 on a 10.05 dial with a 0.019 light, even with my 9.59 lol he went on to place 2nd which I was also pretty pumped about,being his first time on this bike and 2nd event ever.

to sum it up it was a great weekend and it was awesome to see 3 Thunder Bay people place in their classes and do well, unfortunately the Neon gods didn't agree with Mike and after a few passes he was done for the weekend, I'll let him elaborate. I can't thank everyone enough for the hospitality and hope to see everyone out next year!

we'll be heading to rock falls on the 24 for my brother to do his licence runs, maybe see a few of you there

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Great post Brett, sounds like you really had an epic weekend. Happy to see you set some PB's! What's in store next for your bike?

Senior Member test

Good job. Sucks he took you out but at least he went on

Not sure if I'll get out to sept in the rock now....Kansas bound on Wed. Might be my season finally. ..

Quote Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post
    Great post Brett, sounds like you really had an epic weekend. Happy to see you set some PB's! What's in store next for your bike?
    over the winter I will get an extended swing arm with a nitrous bottle bracket built in. Still looking into nitrous setups and can't quite make up my mind between a wet setup or a dry (fogger) setup. Around the same price but the fogger setup is much easier to install, we'll see over the winter. I've had a wideband gauge on top of my toolbox at work for over a year so I suppose I'll get around to installing that, will also probly get a fuel pressure gauge for the nitrous setup. Just little odds and ends.

Quote Originally Posted by briangodecki View Post
    Good job. Sucks he took you out but at least he went on

Not sure if I'll get out to sept in the rock now....Kansas bound on Wed. Might be my season finally. ..
    BUT you have an extra 7 days holidays, and after you win in Topeka you will want to stop in Eau Claire to party anyway so you might as well party for a week and stay and race on the weekend!
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Senior Member test

Haha. I wish it was that easy...

Ill stop in and introduce myself next time for sure. I would've at test and tune but the weather was pretty shitty and when it wasn't raining we were racing haha I'm hoping to maybe get a swing arm extension and a street/drag tire. I'd love to get one of those electric cable quick shifters. But I donno if that's in the cards for next year. Lots of plans, not a lot of money haha but yeah I seem to be stuck on the suzukis. I just really like them. My buddy Austin has the red zx14. He got me hooked on the bikes. So far I'm loving it. It'll be nice to have other bike guys to shoot the shit with. Good luck on the build thought. I look forward to seeing the end result. 8's? Haha maybe 7's? Lol personally I'm hoping for 10.5 next summer.

Great times Brett. 9.40s is haulin. We'll be there on the 24th. Swing by and say Hi!
    - BLOKE -

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Albert View Post
    Ill stop in and introduce myself next time for sure. I would've at test and tune but the weather was pretty shitty and when it wasn't raining we were racing haha I'm hoping to maybe get a swing arm extension and a street/drag tire. I'd love to get one of those electric cable quick shifters. But I donno if that's in the cards for next year. Lots of plans, not a lot of money haha but yeah I seem to be stuck on the suzukis. I just really like them. My buddy Austin has the red zx14. He got me hooked on the bikes. So far I'm loving it. It'll be nice to have other bike guys to shoot the shit with. Good luck on the build thought. I look forward to seeing the end result. 8's? Haha maybe 7's? Lol personally I'm hoping for 10.5 next summer.
    i would go for the swingarm extensions and some gearing, the quickshifter is cool but stretching and gearing will help you more i think. Youll have to change the chain anyway so might as well go up a few teeth on the back. And yeah i know Austin a bit just from the races, seems like a cool guy and i love the turbo Katana, just something different. I think a high 8 is realistic but any inprovement will be awesome. And it will cost thousands...and thousands of dollars to run 7's and the matinence on top of that is more than enough, just an unrealistic goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Blokeswagen View Post
    Great times Brett. 9.40s is haulin. We'll be there on the 24th. Swing by and say Hi!
    Cool, we will be there Saturday, i dont think we are staying for sunday
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Quote Originally Posted by bgodin23 View Post
    i would go for the swingarm extensions and some gearing, the quickshifter is cool but stretching and gearing will help you more i think. Youll have to change the chain anyway so might as well go up a few teeth on the back. And yeah i know Austin a bit just from the races, seems like a cool guy and i love the turbo Katana, just something different. I think a high 8 is realistic but any inprovement will be awesome. And it will cost thousands...and thousands of dollars to run 7's and the matinence on top of that is more than enough, just an unrealistic goal.
    oh yeah. I actually meant to say the gearing as well. The shifter will have to wait. That's not a very big deal at the moment. I'll have to do some more research on the gearing though. I noticed I'm shifting just before the line. I'd like to be able to stretch the gear through the finish instead of shifting obviously. So I'll have to figure that out.

On my 600 i believe i was 16-45? Or 16-47 maybe, gixxrr 750's are actually popular drag bikes so there will be more than enough input on a suzuki forum
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

You'd think so haha I've looked. There's a million different opinions. But yeah I'll keep looking around just to give me an idea and then likely end up trying a few combos myself to figure out what works best for me over the next few years.

Pretty confident I'm done for the season. I don't know why but I try to keep all of my slips, and of the slips that I have I made 91 passes at 5 events. PG2k16.1,test n tune, drag fest, PG2k16.2 and rock falls this past weekend. I may have lost a few but that's what I have. I'm quite happy with that being I was down for almost a month and missing the rock falls bike day where I would have made at least 20 more.

Rock falls this weekend was BUSY! And that's an understatement. A very high volume of cars and a track moving at Terrace Bay pace made it difficult to get runs in. An oil down and a car going into the wall slowed things down a bit. I made 8 passes with the best being 9.63@140.99, pretty big headwind so I didn't expect to set a new personal best. Thankfully the weather held off and mechanically nothing went wrong. My Brother went to do his licence passes and I believe his best run was 9.78 at 145ish on a basically stock zx14.

I'll put the bike in the shed for now and hopefully pull it out mid winter to start playing around with the swing arm and nitrous. I say that now.. I'll be doing it a week before MAP next year lol.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold