Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something a Little Different

Something a Little Different

Welp. I'll go out on a limb here and post maybe a little different type of build. As some of you know I'm into bikes, crotch rockets, harleys, dirtbikes, vintage mini bikes i don't really care, they are all cool. As much as i love cars and would still love to build one one day it just isn't in the cards right now and i would rather run 9's on somewhat of a budget. I've been riding bikes my whole life, was never a pro but i could hold my own on dirtbikes, but when i turned 17 i said enough with this and switched to street bikes.

First bike was an 06 Yamaha R6 which i bought from a buddy of mine, clean bike and fast enough for what I wanted. Started with just driving it on the street playing around with the odd car on the highway here and there. 4 years ago decided to try my luck drag racing, one of my buddies tried to talk me out of it saying all it would do was end up costing you thousands of dollars... ya he was right. first year i raced i was consistent in the mid to low 11's and actually ended up winning in Terrace Bay but, naturally, that got old fast and all i wanted was to go faster. After some basic performance parts (exhaust, filter, power commander, gearing) i was back to give it another go, the following 3 years i raced the bike with this set up and managed to run a best of 10.48 at 131.66 in Terrace Bay, lost in the final last year. I felt i had pretty much maxed the potential of this bike without spending alot more money on it, there were other simple little mods i could have done here and there but it just didn't really make sense. Pic of the bike just before i sold it

After Terrace Bay this year i figured it was maybe time to upgrade, at least in CC wise. cruising Kijiji one day i found a 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10 which looked to be in decent condition and semi-low mileage for the year. decided to go have a look and ended up picking it up. guy that had it really didn't know much about it, said as far as he knew it had never been dropped, whatever, i didn't really care it looked good. Brought it home, looked over it a bit, everything seemed to be ok, not mint, but it looked pretty good. changed the oil, geared it, lowered it, cut the exhaust simply because i thought it was ugly. took the butterfly valve out of the header, and headed to rock falls to get my NHRA licence, i had ridden a bike exactly the same at Terrace Bay test and tune and ran 9.79 at 140 something. so i knew the bike had it in it, ended up getting my licence and ran a best 9.81 at 144.58. i was happy with that for a basically stock bike and my first time out on it.

day before rock falls

plans for now, ordered an MSD launch control box, Power commander 5 and Dynojet Quick shifter which allows me to shift without clutching or letting off of the gas. started installing them tonight, was pretty upset when i pulled that filter out of the airbox. BMC race filter on the way.

seat, rear seat, and tank removed

Airbox removed, excuse the dirt, shes no show bike. after some minor cleaning it looked ok

just putted around installing wiring harness and whatnot after that ill have more pics tomorrow.

on a side note anyone have any idea if this would be "easily" fixable. I am the furthest thing from a body man.

Thanks for reading.. ill update as much as i can.
    Last edited by bgodin23; 03-22-2016 at 09:52 PM. Reason: new pics
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Re: Something a Little Different

Very nice! This looks like a fun project! It's nice seeing something different on the forum I always wanted a bike when I was a kid, then I got a car and things changed but I still kind of want one. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us!
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Senior Member test

looks like fun. any goals for it this year?
    70 nova 4 speed lsx

looks like a fun bike, your most likely going to have to repaint that whole piece you'll never be able to blend it in on such a small piece. maybe time to paint it something of your choice? maybe airbrush it up a bit?
    WhEn LiFe KnOcKs YoU dOwN, cAlMlY gEt Up, SmIlE aNd PoLiTeLy SaY.... "YoU hIt LiKe A bItCh"

Senior Member test Curtis_conway's Avatar

This makes me want one.

Guys that run bikes like this on the 1/4 make me think they are a little on the completely insane side of the spectrum... Kudos!

Nice bike, look forward to racing you again this year on your new ride! I "should" have the turbo Katana & the ZX14 out for test & tune, terrace bay this year. I wanna try my luck with both!
    Good job!

I'm fat for my own safety. I feel you should know this.

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    Guys that run bikes like this on the 1/4 make me think they are a little on the completely insane side of the spectrum... Kudos!
    to be honest it isnt as crazy as everyone things. I see guys gets squirly in cars and cringe. I find them easy to manipulate them where you want them to go. Hold er pinned and bang gears!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-Kat View Post
    Nice bike, look forward to racing you again this year on your new ride! I "should" have the turbo Katana & the ZX14 out for test & tune, terrace bay this year. I wanna try my luck with both!
    Good job!
    thanks man, im so pumped to see that turbo katana run!!

Quote Originally Posted by squarebit View Post
    I'm fat for my own safety. I feel you should know this.
    being 150 soaked and wet only has benefits for one thing.. Going fast lol
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Turbo bike owners are even more insane....

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4speed View Post
    looks like fun. any goals for it this year?
    Realistically i think the bike is capable of the mid 9's, anything faster than that is just bonus. I would like to do 6 or 7 races forsure. Both MAP's. Terrace Bay test and tune and dragfest, rock falls bike day, and grand bend bike day.

- - - Updated - - -

did a little bit more tonight. finished routing some more harnesses as neatly as i could. nobody will ever see it but i don't like it to look messy. everything seems to work except the quickshifter. it wont talk to my new module which is a bit frustrating. I'l call Dynojet tomorrow and see if it's something stupid i missed. launch control works and i removed some more fairings to investigate what i thought was an oil leak. turned out to be some WD-40 i must have sprayed on the engine yesterday. no big deal i wanted to clean some stuff up anyway.

2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Cool project!

just a small update, i was at MAP this past weekend and was disappointed but content, in the 35 degree celsius weather i managed to run a 9.73 at 141 not exactly the 9.50 i was looking for but i did manage to make it to the final of the bracket class for the bikes where i red lighted. I believe this was partially due to the gearing. it was fine down low allowing me to get 1.50-1.75 60 foots. there were a few bad ones in there but looking at my slips thats what i averaged, however i was hitting the limiter in 6th gear i would say about 75-100 feet from the stripe possibly robbing me of a few mph and in turn maybe as much as a tenth. currently the bike is geared 16/41 and im going to try 16/39 for the weekend which changes my ratio from 2.56 to 2.43, i also have the 17 tooth front sprocket to have 17/41 which gives me 2.41. hopefully its enough to get me a few mph. if i can get the 1.50's 60 foot, stick and pull all the way through the stripe i think a 9.60-65 is possible on a stock wheelbase all motor setup.

really all i am doing is prolonging the inevitable by wasting my time and not stretching it and spraying it. but at almost $1500 for the swingarm and all the fancy stuff to go with it it may have to wait until the winter. i know it seems like a "minor" expense to the car guys but i just simply don't have the cash lol. It's harder to be fast on a stock wheelbase and i like that aspect of it but seeing one there with a similar setup to me just stretched go an 8.99 is a bit tempting.

Map was a great time, there are some badass cars coming out of Thunder Bay, seeing some of these cars run for the first time was super impressive. I understand how much work goes in to making these cars run 10's and it was awesome to see guys like Mike with the Talon and Lindsey with Integra set PB's and haul ass. Katty and Curtis to run 12's and haul ASS in the auto-x course was awesome to watch. I traveled with Mike (squarebit) and my brother for the weekend and even though we did everything we could to get the Neon to make a full pass Mike had some engine issues that shut him down for the weekend. But earlier in the week we did say it would make a pass and it did just that. Met some great people and had an awesome time and will fors ure be returning in the fall.

Hope to see everyone at Test n' Tune. Don't be scared to come say Hey!
    Last edited by bgodin23; 06-20-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Did u have to change your shorts after that wheelie that was at least an 11 o'clock?!
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

I almost did. Clutch bit and well ya it went a little north, first time thats actually ever happened to me lol, made me take a deep breath or 2. Also another reason for stretching!!
    2016 Ford F-150
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast