Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me, summer/autocross car introduction

New to me, summer/autocross car introduction

picked this car up for a summer toy/autocross racer, going to do some minor updates to it over the winter then just have some fun with it next year,

the car is a 1992 corvette zr1, the original lt4 engine was replaced some time ago with a built up lt1, its got 18" corvette c6 wheels on it, upgraded factory sport seats, etc etc.
    anyways here are some pictures of it.
    i dont know much about corvettes so this will be a learning process for me.

the signatures on the engine i have no idea who they are from and need to do some research to figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

so from what i can find online the engine signatures look like ron fellows signature

here is a link to information on ron fellows
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Fellows

im going to have to do some more digging to figure out why it was signed by him, still need to get the sellers package, maybe it was one of the cars from his performance driving school, that would be awsome to own,
    WhEn LiFe KnOcKs YoU dOwN, cAlMlY gEt Up, SmIlE aNd PoLiTeLy SaY.... "YoU hIt LiKe A bItCh"

Re: New to me, summer/autocross car introduction

Auto or manual? Kale wants it when you sell... LS BRZ
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

thats the only downfall is its automatic. lol
    WhEn LiFe KnOcKs YoU dOwN, cAlMlY gEt Up, SmIlE aNd PoLiTeLy SaY.... "YoU hIt LiKe A bItCh"

Thats not a zr1.
    The zr1 had the lt5 dohc v8 not the lt4. Amd no one who is sane would remove the only valuble part of the car and replace it with an lt1.

With input from GM, Lotus designed a new engine to fit in place of the L98 V8[citation needed] that was powering the standard C4. The result was what GM dubbed the LT5, an aluminum-block V-8 with the same bore centers as the L98, but with four overhead camshafts, 32 valves.
    Last edited by MiniD1CK5; 08-30-2016 at 01:18 PM.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

when i decoded the vin online it said zr1? i agree with you 100% on thinking nobody sane would ever remove the other engine i dunno maybe im wrong i dont know much about corvettes, im just going by what the old owner told me, i decoded the vin number online so who knows if it worked properly..

- - - Updated - - -

im really not sure, i think it may be a zr1 it seems so much different than the regualr 1990 corvette that is forsale outside the kia dealership, it seems so much lower and wider than that one, who knows, ither way im happy with it, i emailed the national corvette history museum my vin number and asked them if they could let me know if it is a zr1 model or not. they have all the records of all corvettes stored there, i can even buy my factory build sheet and pricing sheet from them, my car was built at the plant there in bowling green kentucky aswell.

Woooo, ol'Vett...very interesting! love to see how it does in the AutoX!

2003-350Z
    2005-Acura EL
    2000-Maxima
    2001-Elantra
    1990-Spirit

so turns out i need to get an appraisal done before i can transfer it into my name because its older than 20yrs old.
    another money grab from the government................
    they want an appraisal so that you pay a higher amount of taxes to them.......

Between 1990 and 1992 they changed a lot of components in the suspension not to mention it has different wheels and tires on it. I just have a hard time believing that someone would remove the one special thing about a zr1.
    FUNCTION >FORM

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

zr1's weren't automatic either - so there's that going against it too. Also, does the vin have "1G1YZ" in it? If it's YY it's not a ZR1

But also the thing that made the ZR1 a ZR1 isn't there - there are some serious red flags going on with that thing Ray. It's still a neat car, but it really doesn't sound like a ZR1

- - - Updated - - -

Also are there square-ish tails? That's another ZR1 trait. All these parts can be bought replica now but still..

Oh shit it's an auto?! Yeah it ain't no zr1 dude hope the guy selling it didn't say it was
    FUNCTION >FORM

just got home from work, got the email from the national corvette museum, the car is a non zr1 but was ordered with the zr1 appearance package and suspension package from factory, they say apparently its pretty rare that gm did that. ither way im happy with it,

Please don't take it like I'm bashing it. Like I said it's still a very cool car I just want to make sure you got what you paid for. I've always thought the c4 was a really cool shaped car.

no its all good, its all a learning curve to me, i know absolutely nothing about vettes, i was just going by what the old owner said. and i didnt quite believe it ither, thats why i started researching it to figure it out.

Regardless, cool looking car and that engine looks bad ass.

never really realized it until i looked at these pictures but my tarp shelter looks horrible, kinda reminds me off a homeless shanty lol,
    time to fix it i guess....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast