Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowering kits for a RAM 1500 4x4?

Lowering kits for a RAM 1500 4x4?

Does anyone know the difference between the front suspension for a 2WD RAM 1500 and 4X4? Nothing is set in stone right now but I'm looking for a 2002-2005 RAM 1500 4x4 regular cab long bed and I need to lower it from stock height as much as I can on the cheap, it's for function because the bed is going to be used daily so I need to make loading and unloading easier on my back.

Currently using a 4x4 F250 and I've needed to use 4x4 a fair share of times already with the snow and heavy loads in the bed, so the replacement truck needs to be a 4x4 and I have RAM parts which is why I'm going with Dodge.

Every lowering kit I find is for a 2WD RAM, will it fit a 4x4? How different is the front suspension between 2wd and 4x4? Can I just shoe horn in a 2wd kit with some modifications? My truck now is a 2500 so I have a solid front axle and it's completely different from the 1500 which I know nothing about for it's 4x4 so I'm lost on info here.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Lowering kits for a RAM 1500 4x4?

If you cant find anyone else doing it online, start calling the kit companies and asking if they fit? Go straight to the source.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

Not a bad idea but I've only been able to find resellers of random kits that all seem to look the same, so I don't know what ideal company would be the source to call, from what I can see though, the only difference in a 2WD lift kits vs 4X4 lift kit (because those are the only kits I can find for visual parts comparison) are a taller front spindle being included in the 2WD and 4x4 kit, so if that's the only difference for going up, in the 2WD lowering kit it's just smaller springs, shorter shocks/struts, and a smaller block for the rear, which should mean if a shorter spindle is not included in the 2WD lowering kit, the factory spindle must be fine for going lower right?, which means the 4x4 one should also be fine for going lower? Since the 2WD and 4x4 lift kits are almost the same, only the taller spindles are different, and if the factory spindle stays in use for the 2wd lowering kit, then really it should be just fine for a 4x4?

Unless anyone can confirm that maybe a strut mounting point is a different height/angle between 2wd/4x4 or maybe the strut lengths are different so 2wd in a 4x4 would be the wrong spring height/rate making the truck sag in the front.

2wd rams in that year range have coil spring frongt suspension while 4wd's have torsion bar set ups like a chevy truck does.
    WhEn LiFe KnOcKs YoU dOwN, cAlMlY gEt Up, SmIlE aNd PoLiTeLy SaY.... "YoU hIt LiKe A bItCh"

You won't find a lowering kit for a 4x4. You're going to run into cv axle angle issues, hell you might end up with the cv hitting the frame. Just buy one of those mini jdm trucks if you need a low lift height or get a 2wd with snow tires.
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

they make lowering torsion bar keys. wouldn't hurt the cv since it's no different then having them cranked. I was debating doing a lowered 4x4

Since when does jacking the torsion bars not hurt the cv shafts?! Any time you take the axle over its operating angles it will increase wear. There's a reason they make diff drop kits for when you do jack the torsions but in this case they don't lake diff lift kits for anyone dumb enough to want to lower a 4x4
    FUNCTION >FORM

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

2 inch increase or decrease on torsion height won't hurt it

Yes it will. You're operating them in a more drooped position all the time which they weren't designed to run in.
    FUNCTION >FORM

So axle delete? Perfect.

My thoughts exactly lol
    FUNCTION >FORM

I would love to use a JDM pick up but I need a box that will fit between 20-24 tires at a time which is why I need a full size truck, the truck now also has good tires on it and I still require 4x4 creeping up the back entrance from time to time so I would still need a 4x4, I'd rather not have a load of 24 tires and get stuck trying to get in the parking lot. I can't have any situations where customers tires are held up because the truck is stuck, and I have to do this multiple times every day, so seeing as I load up and unload 100+ sets of mounted and balanced wheels weighing between 50-75lbs each, you can see why I want the bed to be lower without breaking the bank since this is just a work truck, going purely for function here, not some slammed stance queen

trailer

Quote Originally Posted by squarebit View Post
    trailer
    So simple, exactly what i was thinking
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold