Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: should this have passed a safety? / how to fight garage to get it fixxed

should this have passed a safety? / how to fight garage to get it fixxed

so long story short my safety is still valid on my truck for 16 more days, and i just found out my powesteering has a rather bad leak and looks like it has for a long time, should this have passed a safety?

how would i go abouts getting the garage to fix this issue if they refuse, i know its something to do with the mto but i honestly have no clue what my next step is.
    any help is greatly appreciated.

i thought soemthing was fishy when i had to pick up the safety from the garage and the truck was still at the guys house......
    WhEn LiFe KnOcKs YoU dOwN, cAlMlY gEt Up, SmIlE aNd PoLiTeLy SaY.... "YoU hIt LiKe A bItCh"

Re: should this have passed a safety? / how to fight garage to get it fixxed

Are you sure this is a safety item? Can it be proven it has been leaking for a long time? How much is the hose new? Is the hassle really worth the time? Just fix it.

Otherwise ...... Call the previous owner and tell them you are going to call the garage if they dont pay for it, if they tell you to fuck off, call the garage and tell them to fix it or you are going to report them the MTO.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

yes its definatly a safety item cause it affects the steering if it runs out of fluid, in my opnion it has been leaking for awhile, you can see it under the truck all grimy in the area its leaking while everywere else under the truck clean.

ive been emailing the previous owner and have now figured out the shop owner was his buddy and did the safety awhile (around 5 months ago) ago and just didnt write the safety for him until he sold the truck, so that explains why i had to go to the garage and pick up the safety while the truck was at the old owners house still.
    the old owners excuse was that the truck sat for 5 or 6 months so maybe soemthing dried out and caused a leak...
    definatly going to persue this further i bought a saftied truck so that i didnt have to do the work myself cuase i just dont have the time right now.

- - - Updated - - -

ok so, i have saved emails from the previous owner stateing that the safety was done at the end of september, the garage wrote the safety inspection paper stateing it was done on november 10th, its still valid 36 days after that date so its still valid until december 16th.
    after all this im considering putting the truck in for a safety inspection to see what else was missed or let go because the prev ious woner was friends with the shop owner...
    im really annoyed.
    WhEn LiFe KnOcKs YoU dOwN, cAlMlY gEt Up, SmIlE aNd PoLiTeLy SaY.... "YoU hIt LiKe A bItCh"

We change the pressure hose on those trucks steady, and they usuually rot in the front of the engine by the oil filter, but iv'e seen cases where the shop came good for missed safety items,good luck
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.72@158
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

thanks. thats all im asking for is the shop to come good for it since the previous owner wont. i really would preffer not to get anyone in trouble but i will not pay for this out of my pocket since its clearly been leaking for awhile, if i have to im going to go the mto route but id really preffer not too.

For powersteering to fail saftey it has to be lower than the min level during the inspection. Usually that will cause a pump whine and it's obviously going to be low.
    And the line fails if it has a stage 2 leak. That is a leak that will form drops of fluid but won't drip during the saftey inspection. Stage 1 doesn't form drops just weeping and looks like it's grimy and wet. Stage 2 is droplets forming but not dripping and stage 3 is dripping

So you need it to be almost ready to drip .

there is definatly leaks cause if i run the truck and leave it sit for 5 minutes after there is about a 4" round mark in the snow, it takes 2 days to completely drain the reservoir.

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE View Post

ive been emailing the previous owner and have now figured out the shop owner was his buddy and did the safety awhile (around 5 months ago) ago and just didnt write the safety for him until he sold the truck, so that explains why i had to go to the garage and pick up the safety while the truck was at the old owners house still.
    the old owners excuse was that the truck sat for 5 or 6 months so maybe soemthing dried out and caused a leak.
    That is all the proof you need, that is totally illegal to delay writing a safety slip.

Call the shop and tell them to fix the leak or you will report them to the MTO. You have the email to prove the safety wasn't legit.
    ALL THE HONDAS!!!

I'd be getting a resafety done else where then go to the other shop.who knows what else is wrong after it sat for 6 months after being looked at

There are a lot of reputable shops on here that can do a proper safety inspection. I'll leave it up to them to chime in.

turns out it was the return line to the powersteering pump rotted away, i just bit the bullit and fixxed it myself, once i calmed down i realized it wasnt worth the time or bullsh*t it wouldve caused in my life. so $160 and it was fixxed by the shop i prefer who does good work. I coulda done it by myself i just didnt have the time and didnt feel like working on it in a snowbank.

So instead of going after a shop for passing a vehicle that shouldn't have and who knows how many countless others, you just fixed it and moved on?
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

yes, because i just dont have the time, and dont want the headaches it would of caused, plus to be honest i was afraid of them doing somthing to the truck in spite.

Afraid of them doing something in spite? Such as?
    1997 BMW 740iL Arctic Silver Metallic, Decatted - "Silver Bullet"
    SHE AIN'T PRETTY, BUT SHE'S FAST. (FOR A STREET CAR ANYWAY).

i dont know, maybe sugar in the gas or something along those lines. i really dont know i probably was just over thinking it.
    i just figured it wasnt worth the hassle, all i know is i will never bring anything of mine to that specific shop.
    i cant say there name in public on here so i dont get in trouble for slandering there good name (LOL) but it was a certain shop that is on alloy drive close to central ave.

- - - Updated - - -

im not saying in anyway that the mechanics arent good at what they do, it was clearly the owner letting his friend slide on stuff.
    i found out later that the owner of the business and the guy i got the truck from are good friends.
    Last edited by RAGE; 12-19-2016 at 07:34 PM.