Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: Project URS4 restoration/sick build bro

Member test

Project URS4 restoration/sick build bro

Considering no one on here posts anything I figured id get the ball rolling again, and I like to keep track of what I do to my car's as well as keep you guys entertained. So the last 2 weeks I acquired a new summer car in the middle of winter (Adam logic at its finest) that I couldn't pass up. I believe the only one of its kind in town, not sure about Ontario. Anyways, here she is

1993 Audi s4, or as the euro nuts call it; the urs4. The prefix ur is German for "the original" or something like that. It was one of the first sport sedans Audi ever made, and at the time it came out, I believe it was the fastest 4 door sedan out there. Powered by a 2.2 liter inline 5 turbo, AWD, and a 5 speed manual. 227hp, and 258ft/lbs. For a 3750 pound car, basically 4000 with my fat ass in it, it still rips pretty good.

As far as I know, it's got a 034 Motorsports intake, and 3 inch turbo back with a HFC, Koni yellows with h&r springs. Sitting at 328,000 km it runs and drives really well. Very solid car. They really don't make cars like they used to. But the gearbox is getting tired, so full redline shifts it's very crunchy, I believe it's a synchro issue. The steering wheel is faded, dash is cracked blah blah blah. It needs a little tlc but the plan is to accumulate parts over the winter and throw them on in the spring.

Color is forest green metallic. Washed it after work and I totally fell in love with the color

After selling the golf and driving the crv, I started to get the craving for another euro. This being my first turbo car I'm very excited to do stuff to it. But first is maintenance and the little odds and ends.

As always, will keep you guys updated

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Re: Project URS4 restoration/sick build bro

Nice purchase! It's great to see more people with build threads on the forum! What's your overall vision for this car?
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Member test

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    Nice purchase! It's great to see more people with build threads on the forum! What's your overall vision for this car?
    Thanks! I figured someone on here would appreciate the car enough to follow the build thread.

As for what I wanna do. I want to fix all the small things, like cosmetics and make it as mechanically sound as possible. I want to bring it back to its former glory, so as OEM as I can possibly go without breaking the bank. Then when I get bored with the power output, put a little more oomph in it. The inline 5 has a decent sized aftermarket and you can squeeze a lot more power out of that engine. I'd like to be at around 350-400bhp all said and done. It'd be more than enough to keep me happy, but for now, the stock power is enough for me. Coming from my golf with maybe 100 to the wheels brand new, the s4 is awesome aha

LOVE IT! I have the 2WD version! Keep the pics coming!

EDIT: I forget what I own. I actually own the A4. Await verification! hahaha

EDIT 2: Here she is! She's my Azores Skud Runner! With the gangsta ass Blaupunkt Credit Card Security Cassette Deck!

Last edited by xchox; 01-01-2017 at 11:01 PM.

1983 Skoda 120 LS
    1986 Skoda 120 GLS
    2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Sport-Combi

What a score! Should make a really fun daily, sweet car.

+1 for amazing color! that green is awesome!

2003-350Z
    2005-Acura EL
    2000-Maxima
    2001-Elantra
    1990-Spirit

Member test

Time for an update cause it's 12:30 and I don't know what I'm doing with my life

Figured I'd get some basic maintenance out of the way. You know, the usual "I bought a used car with a gazillion kms on it" stuff

5 new OEM Bosch spark plugs and an OEM Bosch fuel filter. Thing is friggin huge, bigger than my phone for Christ sake

And a new washer pump. After the safety the washers quit working, Adam luck at its finest. Considering I have to take the bumper off to change the pump I think I'm gonna order the headlight washer pump as well cause if I don't change it I'll bitch about how it doesn't work and that's something no one wants to hear lol

Also got a power steering plug and o ring, as it would slowly leak fluid cause the o ring was shot. Yeah I could've just changed the o ring blah blah blah, cry me a river. Also got new stainless brake hoses/lines/whatever you wanna call them. The ones on the car were gross looking and bound to leak soon, and considering that I'm gonna be putting better pads in down the road I might as well get stainless lines for maximum race car. Also got a new valve cover gasket to replace the old leaky one.

But wait there's more!

I scored a set of headlights for the price of replacement lenses (that I needed anyways cause some asshat kicked a rock up on the highway and cracked the lens on one of them. But that's not all, I took the cover off to change the fog lights, and to see if Travis's old LED lights from his integra fit with the back cover on (which they ended up not fitting anyways) and I discovered that one of the previous owners cut off the pigtail for the standard 9006 bulb (which is the bulb the car takes), wired in some other one, no idea what style it is, and to top it off, literally soldered the power and ground wire directly to the pins on the bulb, where the pigtail would go. So not only did I scored new headlights with mint condition oem glass lenses, they also have the proper wiring inside. So I'm gonna use the old ones as parts to tinker with.

Still trying to figure out what to do with the headlight situation. The car comes with low beam projector with a halogen bulb, and a high beam reflector. The cutoff is very very good, for an early 90s car. Just the bulbs right now arent the best, so I have a few options

1: Buy a brighter halogen bulb. Have read very good reviews about the osram night breakers. Pretty decent price too. Cheapest option and I'll probably be content with the light output

2: Get the 9006 equivalent hir bulb. They have a coating on the outside and it's supposed to bounce the light off and act as an hid. Still need to read up on it, but apparently they work really well. Again, another cheaper option with minimal effort

3: Actually put HID's in. Because of the size of the headlight housing, I'm limited to space. I've read up on it and lots of people put MK1 Audi TT projectors/running gear in and it fits nicely, has a better cutoff and it throws the light out farther than the stock projectors. This is the most expensive option, and will take the most work. But it's currently negative a million out right now and I have zero intention of touching the car right now, so I have some time to make a decision. Any input is greatly appreciated.

The next few months this "build" will be kina dry cause it's cold as fuck outside so it's basically going to consist of me showing off all the stuff I bought for it.
    Last edited by 2pointno; 01-08-2017 at 12:53 AM.

Audi tt projectors are fucking garbage

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    Audi tt projectors are fucking garbage
    You're fucking garage and your beard is ridiculous
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Quote Originally Posted by MiniD1CK5 View Post
    ...your beard is ridiculous
    Ridiculously awesome! And it's way better than long hair! lol

I have some spare FXRs if you would like...
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    Ridiculously awesome! And it's way better than long hair! lol

I have some spare FXRs if you would like...
    I'm gonna show this to tj
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Member test

Update tiemmz!!

Finally got the rest of the maintenance stuff for this damn thing

New control arms with ball joints and bushings

New wheel bearings, with replacement hardware of every single nut and bolt you have to remove, which is nice

New bumper guides, so the bumper actually lines up, and a headlight washer pump

Once the gross white shit goes away, I'll be motivated enough to start working on it and get all the parts put on.

Down the road I'll address the transmission. The 01e Audi transmission is notorious for the 1st to 2nd synchro to just give up on life and grind whenever you decide to do any sort of spirited driving. If it gets bad enough the shift collar sticks when the trans gets hot to you have to row 1st to 2nd when stopped at the lights so you can actually get the damn thing in gear. Albert's s4 is a perfect example of it, I've you've ever been in his car. I'm now experiencing the dreaded grind, but it's got over 300k on it so I was expecting it to happen. The hard part is trying to find a rebuild kit for the 5 speed, cause everywhere else sells ones for the 6 speeds, but the 5 speeds don't exist anywhere. But I did find a guy somewhere in the states that takes the 5 speed cases and will rebuild it with 6 speed internals. That way I won't have to deal with anymore bullshit from the trans and I'll get to truly enjoy the car. I wish it was as simple as just putting a used 6 speed in place of my old 5 speed, but the cases are different on the outside, in terms of the dowel pins, and the provisions to put the cables and sensors and what not. Not only that, considering its an Audi you need a million different special tools to rebuild it, so the price the guy gave me to rebuild it is a steal, as he has more experience doing 01e rebuilds and he has all the tools ready to go. So time to save up the monies and when the time comes, put the s4 on jack stands and pull the transmission and send it out, might as well do clutch and lighter flywheel while im at it.

Also give me and excuse to cut the cat out of the downpipe for a bit more loud, and maybe open dump the wastgate for maximum rice, but that's a later thing

Nice to see you're using quality OEM parts. I actually just picked up a bunch of stuff from FCP as well.

So with the transmission, will it be a functional 6 speed with the 6 speed internals or is he just going to change the 5 speed parts that need fixing with the 6 speed equivalent parts?

Member test

One thing I learned from my golf, when it comes to European cars, OEM is the way to go

As with the transmission, it's going to be a fully functional 6 speed, just in a 5 speed case. There's certain cables and stuff that need to be attached that the later 6 speeds don't have. The most important is what people call proconten, which is a huge ass abbreviation for some super long name Audi made up. Basically it's a strand of cables that, when in an accident will retract the shift lever, so the car can't be put in gear for emergency situations. Like how a seatbelt works. Why they did that, no idea. 90s Audi engineering. But it's a pain in the ass making the 6 speed case work with the cables, so this is the easiest way of getting a fully functional 6 speed. I'm probably going to get him to put the 6th gear from the TDI 6 speed in, so the first 5 gears will be for having fun and 6th gear is hella overdrive for maximum highway mpg

Again, funds are short so it'll be a spring thing. That way while I'm waiting for him to rebuild it, I can put everything else in that way I'll be able to drive the damn thing again.