Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: 2011 Mazda 3 GT 2.5L Aesthetics Build

2011 Mazda 3 GT 2.5L Aesthetics Build

My name is Alyssa and I have a 2011 Mazda 3 GT, it has a 2.5L, it's the pre-factlift front end which means it's the non-CVT automatic transmission (my preferred choice), I ordered it in through Balmoral Park Acura from southern Ontario. It's pretty low mileage, and came with a clean CarProof, it's all original with warranty.

Had the entire car claybar'd and waxed

Bought brand new 205/50R17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 that were mounted on the factory 17x6.5" wheels

First fill up

Polished the headlights, didn't really need it, just wanted it perfect
    (before and after)

Cleaned it up a bit

Had an OEM block heater installed with a stealth cable routing so it can be hidden

Stealth mode behind the front license plate

Had to buy a new battery, wouldn't hold a charge and struggled with those -40 days

Brand new AGM Eliminator Ultra with 5 year warranty

Brand new batteries are not charged
    PSA: charge your new battery before install, they're not even 50% and here's proof, straight from the store onto the Genius and it was flashing at 50% meaning between 25-50%

Installed a CorkSport short ram intake

OEM Mazdaspeed 3 18x7.5 wheels, FedEx lost one so only three showed up, the seller was really good about handling everything and they bought a used OEM wheel to replace the missing one that FedEx lost and I'm still waiting for the fourth wheel to come in

Tires will be removed soon and the wheels are getting refinished in OEM Mazda gun metal wheel paint

I bought some Nankang AS-1 225/45R18 tires to go on the wheels once they're finished

My Tein lowering springs will be installed in the spring when the Mazdaspeed 3 wheels are swapped over
    Last edited by lyssmcgee; 03-05-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Re: 2011 Mazda 3 GT 2.5L Aesthetics Build

Welcome to the forum Alyssa! Great first post. Looking forward to future updates
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, how the hell do they lose one wheel?
    2013 Kawasaki ZX14r- 8.85@156
    2016 Ford F-150
    2004 Kawasaki zx10r-9.45@150(sold)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport-sold
    2013 Ford Focus ST- sold
    2006 Yamaha R6- sold

The packaging ripped, and the tire without the label went missing..

Welcome to the forum. Hope to see the car out on meets/autox events this summer

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    "That is one quick Prius!"

Hi Alyssa, nice car!! I've got the 6 spd hatchback version in the same colour.

Kind of hard to tell from your photos, but if you have hazing/frosting on the inside of your headlights, it's a common issue with the 2010/11 GTs. The daytime running lights ran a little too hot and caused the inside of the housings to melt, usually at the top. It happened to my car when it was about a year old and I had both headlights replaced by Mazda. I believe there is an actual recall. After I got the new headlights I ordered LED bulbs from Corksport for my daytime running lights and I've been quite happy with them.

Autocross this summer?
    1990 MX5 Miata
    2003 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg
    2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT

Very clean looking! and welcome! future plan for the Mazda3?

2003-350Z
    2005-Acura EL
    2000-Maxima
    2001-Elantra
    1990-Spirit

Time for fog lights, three 8mm bolts on each side of the belly pan

Can fit your arm in to unplug the wire and twist out the bulb

Nokya 9006 Yellow bulbs, if anyone is interested, the round fog light Mazda 3's use H11

Got it all done, I just need yellow H8 bulbs for the DRL

25mm wheel spacers in the rear and started putting the RallyArmor mud flaps on

Rear mud flaps are done

Front mud flaps done

All together and back on the ground

Future plans will be larger exhaust tips on the factory muffler, the existing tips just don't fill the cutouts as much as I'd like. LED rear bumper reflectors wired up as rear fog lights in junction to the front fog light switch making front and rear both work at the same time off of the same switch keeping the interior as clean as possible, tinting the tail lights solid red, as mentioned above I'm ordering yellow H8 DRL bulbs, might go with LED or try to find a lower wattage halogen to avoid the melting issue as MiataJoe mentioned. Again, as mentioned above, the 18" MazdaSpeed 3 wheels are getting refinished and painted gun metal, new tires on them once completed, and Twin lowering springs at the same time of summer wheel install.

Not much else is planned for this, just my daily to go to Starbucks and Ozone so reliability is key

Had a video of my car made by bANONYMOUS Media

Had to take a picture of the car after that ice storm we had.

The 4th Mazdaspeed 3 wheel arrived and it was pretty beat up so I got the tires dismounted.

Started cleaning them up

Some of the area's that needed filler, we used Metal reenforced body filer for this.

This is the replacement wheel, it was really bad.

Started installing my Tein lowering springs

Installed

Took it out for a little photoshoot

The ground was so soft from the rain the car sunk while taking photo's and we got stuck.

The headlight housing for the DRL started melting and I found an actual recall list for the 2010/11 Mazda 3 GT so I'll be getting new headlights as soon as I have time to bring it in to the dealer and have it looked over. Once the new headlights are in, I already have amber LED DRL bulbs ready to be installed so it doesn't happen again. The wheels should be close to done by this coming weekend as long as nothing comes up, I'll measure for spacers to adapt to the different offset of the Mazdaspeed wheels and then book it in for an alignment.
    Might go with a full Corksport exhaust rather than just changing the tips, I like the way it sounds on the 2.5L and the tips included are the diameter I would have been looking at.

Tonight we're tinting the tail lights, we started by popping all of the trunk lining clips to get access to the tail light bolts.

Three 10mm nuts for the outer tail lights

One 10mm nut for the inner tail lights

Brought them inside and cleaned them up

Scuffed with red Scotchbrite and masked off the reverse light

Adhesion promoter

Tint

Peeled the masking off

Clear coat

All finished and reinstalled

Going to wait until next weekend before wet sanding and polishing them, hopefully the wheels will have more progress by then.
    Last edited by lyssmcgee; 05-22-2017 at 04:01 AM.

The red tinted tails look wayyyy better, nice update and nice photos.

Love it, I am enjoying this thread!

More work on the wheels, self etching over the metal filler

Started getting the paint all done, painted inside and out

Late night finishing up the last wheel for paint so they can be cleared and left over night to cure

Almost ready to paint the last one

Next morning after the clear coat has cured

The finish was pretty good

They were mounted and balanced that day, car prepped for a road trip that night, and we left the next morning to Montreal for Eurokracy

In line waiting to get into Eurokracy

Some random spots we found just exploring Montreal

Found a Mazda dealer

Found a green Mazdaspeed 3 (not an OEM colour for the Mazda 3, so this whole car was dipped, wrapped, or resprayed) You can also see the cops rolling up behind us because we ran out onto the road in the rain to take this picture, they waited behind us after until we left.

As soon as we got back to town, we could only sleep for about 2 hours and decided to get up and start working on the car again, so we finally got around to swapping out the halogen DRL with LEDs

Amber H8 LEDs

All finished up, absolutely love how it came out

Rolled the rear fenders, painted the brake calipers red, and then had the entire car detailed because it was covered in bugs from the trip, it was a 25 hour straight drive all the way there, and 27 hours straight through again coming back, stopped and saw a lot of cool scenery and so much good food, awesome trip, doing it again next year.

Picked up some stainless license plate hardware

Same hardware on the front as well as a tinted plate cover

That's pretty much everything since the last update, the only other things are that the DRL melted headlight housing recall only applies to 2009 and 2010, mine is a 2011, however we got it checked out and the reps from Mazda that came into town said the recall was for the DRL bulb physically getting too hot and melting the housing where it goes in causing the bulb to fall out, they said the front of the headlight melting isn't covered so I have an interesting retrofit in the work, I need to find replacement headlight housings that I can cut up to make the retrofit happen, lets just say this has never been done to a Mazda 3, and we'll leave it at that for now until I get more parts in for the retrofit.

The Amber LEDs are awesome!
    2009 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT

The rim came out really good considering how banged up it came, very clean, nice work you guys!