Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

View Poll Results: Go for it in Class A -(Slicks, Turbo, Engine Swap) or spend some time in Class B

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Class A (Go for it!)

2 25.00%
  • Class B (Get some seat time)

6 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT 2009 (NC) Newbie getting into performance parts

Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT 2009 (NC) Newbie getting into performance parts

Hi All, for those who don't know me, I was the Lost in the woods guy driving the completely stock (winter stored, only added premium gas, had oil changes, and cleaned/waxed it often performed right up to that first event) silver Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT 2009 (NC), a couple of years ago at my first autocross event in WSP.

Couldn't keep the cones and pathways straight. After a ride along and enthusiasm from the Autocross Miata Drivers (SA a big help), I was told my car was fine, get some seat time.

Last year I bought a helmet, and I did put in some time at a couple of events, and took Jessly's advice of suspension upgrade adding a Stage 2 Flying Miata Koni package for the NC Miata. (Was talked out of coilovers by an expert)

I had a non-stock alignment done, added some a new gas and brake pedal and a more aggressive with some non-slip surface - after my foot missed the brake at the TBRHSC I lot event last year where I got a couple of runs in before life took me away from completing the event. I really liked what I had started to put down at this event, and made a promise to myself to make a stronger effort to get enough events in to compete for points in 2017!!

A long winter season had me getting my car out late- too late in fact to do much of anything other than a tech inspection before heading to the first Autocross event last Sunday.
    Apparently my OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires needed replacement after 37,000 KMs, and I took the forums advice and got in touch with Action Tire (Jordan).

It was a late night getting the 205/45/R17 (Stock size) Yokohama S. Drives installed, but Jordan hooked me up. I have to say hands-down working with Jordan at Action Tire has been my best tire experience ever!!!

The only negative thing I have to say is that Sacco, for some reason, wouldn't let me install the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 300+TW tire, which was cheaper than my OEM Bridgetstone Potenza RE050A tires. I tried and tried to gain an edge without taking on points, but to know avail....

So after the first event, with my suspension settling to a bit in the rear, but not quite enough in the front - so I have a bit of reverse rake which is out of spec for a Stage 2 FM Koni suspension kit - which I will get looked at, my first run with the new tires in Thunder Bay Autocross, was less than exciting.

The S. Drives feel heavier to move around, and not quite as sticky on the corners compared to the feel i had with the OEM 140Treadwear Bridgestone RE050A. If they weren't so damn expensive, and I hadn't just bought the S. Drives, I'd go buy the OEMs to run here.

Although with a fresh season, and many of the B Class drivers working out the kinks in their cars, and running on bald tires (Kelly) I managed to squeak out a 3rd place finish. However I am still 4.931 seconds back from the class leader.

Obviously I am still a bad driver - but I did save up some cash for upgrades so I may start spending this year!
    (Actually what I want an LS3 Atomic Betty conversion - see Flyin' Miata, but resources are a couple of years away from being able to get that started)

My next purchase will have to be brake pads at the very least. I have actually started to get used to ABS on autox, and actually it helped me navigate some of the Jade Court course last weekend more efficiently than I could have done myself.

Its about time to get some fluids changed, so I am looking at a transmission fluid change, and i saw a few forums mention better fluid makes things buttery smooth, so I'd like to try out the Rallyways suggestion of Transmission Fluid - Ford Motocraft Synthetic MT Oil part number XT-M5-QS at $23.48USD a Quart!

I am 14 points into B Class, so have to decide if I want to put in some sweet upgrades and move up to A Class (Keep in Mind I will have my care made into a LS3 Atomic TROY in a few years in any case), or stay B Class and just become a better driver - go to a driving school, run more events, follow SA and CS around.

Anyone have some suggestions for upgrades to stay in the B Class this year for a Newbie such as myself?

Cheers all and look forward to your thoughts!
    I will miss next weeks event but will be at the one after that if nothing gets in the way!

T

Re: Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT 2009 (NC) Newbie getting into performance parts

Hey Troy,

When I first started autocrossing years ago (many, many years ago), I did modifications to my car thinking that was what needed improvement.

At one event I let my good friend Brad Folino take my car out for a run. He was 2 seconds faster than me.

So I concentrated on improving my driving skills until I was able to run consistent times at an event.

This year I installed new Yokohama S. Drives (thanks Claudio!) and I'm going though that learning process again.

You never stop learning or getting better.

Good Luck!
    1990 MX5 Miata
    2003 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg
    2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT

Thanks Joe!
    what was your experience like with the s. drives on your miata?

Come down to brainerd on the 16th of June and see what real autocross and track days are all about!! It's light-years ahead of our racing here and the quality and sheer amount of cars will blow your mind! I suggest you learn the car quite a bit more before you go dumping a V8 under the bonnet. Do brake pads, lines and high temp fluid. Maybe do some bushings to tighten the car up. Swaybars possibly and lightweight parts make a world of difference. When you do decide to do the V8 swap let James ward(yota3.0) or myself know as we are ls swap crazy and will be willing to lend a hand wherever possibly, and James I'm told is pretty handy with a Tig torch lol
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Quote Originally Posted by Mx5 View Post
    Thanks Joe!
    what was your experience like with the s. drives on your miata?
    I like them!! Much better than what I was running last year but then again the S. Drives are 205/50R15 compared to the old stock 185/60R14
    1990 MX5 Miata
    2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT

I would agree with Joe and Cale that seat time is the best thing you can do right now. Hell, you improved so much and even beat my time on the last race!
    I would take Cale's advice and do the brake pads, lines, and high temp fluids as a start. Sway bars also help tighten up the car as well (ask me how my car handles without my rear right now lol).
    Tires are also one of the best thing you've upgraded so far. Look at Joe: he beat me by 3 seconds because of the new tires he got (I'm going to use that excuse and not say that he's an awesome driver because it'll just go to his head lol!).
    I hope you get to come out more this year

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    "That is one quick Prius!"

Quote Originally Posted by MiniD1CK5 View Post
    Come down to brainerd on the 16th of June and see what real autocross and track days are all about!! It's light-years ahead of our racing here and the quality and sheer amount of cars will blow your mind! ....
    ive heard about this and just looked at a few videos and it seems like a great time! I have to look into the logistics but do u normally go for just a day or the whole weekend? Anyone take a car trailer and camp? Also just emailed registration to see if there are any roll bar requirements and I have to start looking at good options for high temperature performance break fluid! A definite maybe though!!

If you're going to Brainerd I highly suggest not camping at the site. Get a room at the Super 8. The camp grounds transforms into an orgy of drinking and high volume stupidity that you really want to avoid.

"That is one quick Prius!"

I watched one of your runs last Sunday and you looked smooth and FAST Mx5. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Mx5 View Post
    I have to start looking at good options for high temperature performance break fluid!
    I would recommend ATE TYP 200. It's a great high temp fluid that isn't as hygroscopic as some of the higher temp stuff where you're constantly doing brake flushes. If this was a dedicated track car or running road course events then I would recommend an even higher temp product but you will never boil ATE on an autox course. With 4 events under your belt, I would stick to learning your car and improving driving technique before going too wild with mods that will surely improve your times but by masking mistakes instead of becoming a faster driver through skill. Autox is 90% driver, 10% car =)

Quote Originally Posted by 20Specv12 View Post
    If you're going to Brainerd I highly suggest not camping at the site. Get a room at the Super 8. The camp grounds transforms into an orgy of drinking and high volume stupidity that you really want to avoid.

OK I'll think about a motel bUT I do have a truck bed camper I'm itching to use just need a car trailer to bring down my car and a nice place to park. Perhaps a walmart is nearby...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tallone View Post
    I watched one of your runs last Sunday and you looked smooth and FAST Mx5. Keep up the good work!
    That's the car not me!!!
    Buy you, my goodness from the last I saw you, you've become a rocks tar oUT there, I need the kool-aid u r drinkin' !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post
    I would recommend ATE TYP 200. It's a great high temp fluid that isn't as hygroscopic as some of the higher temp stuff where you're constantly doing brake flushes. If this was a dedicated track car or running road course events then I would recommend an even higher temp product but you will never boil ATE on an autox course. With 4 events under your belt, I would stick to learning your car and improving driving technique before going too wild with mods that will surely improve your times but by masking mistakes instead of becoming a faster driver through skill. Autox is 90% driver, 10% car =)
    I was thinking of the high temp stuff for Brainerd as I am a newbie I will probably rub my brakes too hard and may boil the fluid as I don't know what I am doing!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post
    With 4 events under your belt, I would stick to learning your car and improving driving technique before going too wild with mods that will surely improve your times but by masking mistakes instead of becoming a faster driver through skill. Autox is 90% driver, 10% car =)
    Yeah but just like in the golfing golf club industy I am swayed by the thought that I don't have get better to appear to be better just have the appearance of fast using better gear.
    Driving better is like putting. It will make me better, but the work you have to put in is not as much fun. I mean imagine seeing the v8 miata on a drag strip in person!!! Doesn't make me a better driver but it will look really cool!!!

- - - Updated - - -

90% driver, 10% car well with that logic applied
    54.227 means that making my car 5% faster or shaving 2.71 seconds means almost 3 tenths of a second (.271)

That could be the difference between 3rd and fourth this year!!
    Last edited by Mx5; 06-02-2017 at 01:15 PM.

I happen to know that Craig 'Tallone' spent a lot of time on car setup, checking suspension clearances and weight balance.

He also read autocross how-to books and watched some videos.

It seems to have worked!!
    1990 MX5 Miata
    2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT

They don't allow high hp rwd cars to run in autocross any more
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Quote Originally Posted by MiataJoe View Post
    I happen to know that Craig 'Tallone' spent a lot of time on car setup, checking suspension clearances and weight balance.

He also read autocross how-to books and watched some videos.

It seems to have worked!!
    I watched the film "Need for Speed" and I want those two hours of my life back LOL. I'm still working on my setup and spent TOO much money this season with dedicated tires and rims.
    This past week I have been playing runs (in my head) remembering where the car was weak and where I screwed up. The car is WAY better than me this year. The club is full of people who want to help each other. And yes, I did get some reading material if anyone wants to borrow it. Some is a little dated. Marc is right about the "nut behind the wheel". Be gentle with yourself and strive to be a better driver. You have a great car and tweak one thing at a time. Max out your mods to stay in B

Thanks Joe for your "Thumbs Up".
    The GT-R certainly out classes my car in most (all) respects...power, driveline (too bad it's a hardtop LOL) but it's great to hear and see it in action. Bring on the exotic's and super cars!
    P.S. Rule #1 - HAVE FUN ! (sorry for my rambling) YMMV
    Last edited by tallone; 06-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniD1CK5 View Post
    They don't allow high hp rwd cars to run in autocross any more
    Yes they do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast