Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nabs' E39 Touring Project

Re: Nabs' E39 Touring Project

Is it coming to grand marais
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

I highly doubt it. I still have to run a bunch of wires and I don't want to put the car back together until I'm done, which will be sometime next week. I'm also waiting on some parts and won't be picking them up until Saturday. I'll see if I can get the M3 out on Friday and take that down.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

U better come
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"

Got the trunk treated with metal prep and coated in POR15. Now I just have to paint everything white and then I'll weld in the compressor mounts.

On the outer edge of the door card is this trim piece that also holds the window cleaner thing. It was chrome and I don't like chrome so I painted it black with SEM Trim Black Euro Jet Satin. I bought it to paint the exterior window trim but I wanted to test it and see how it was on these pieces. I'm quite happy with how they turned out, they're not matte and not too glossy, just right

"Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

Nice job handling that rust. I also like that you added some sound deadening to the roof, door and trunk area while everything was apart. Should make for a nice ride once it's all back together.

Thanks Marc! I'm hoping it'll be the last time I have to deal with rust on a DD for a while. This thing will definitely be getting an undercoating done in the fall. Between the rear air suspension, new KW coilovers in the front and shocks in the rear, all new control arms up front, sound deadening and the new sound system I sure hope it'll be a nice smooth, awesome sounding cruiser once it's done.

Finished up the painting most of the trunk. All the areas I left black are going to be covered by plastic pieces so I didn't bother painting it white.

I started putting some of the interior back in now that I finally ran all the wires I needed to properly run the new headunit, no pictures of that so far, but I did swap out "broken" center air vent for a new used one. The old one was functional but since it's almost right in front of me, I didn't want to look at a broken one.

Here's the headliner back in wth most of the pillars, just have to put the last C pillar in but I have to wait for some other stuff to go back in first. I also have to put in the passenger side visor and the roof handles. I'll have to wait until night to take a better picture.

I swapped out the tail lights for the Euro ones and found the reason the old ones were leaking. More brittle plastic from the Florida heat I guess.

Before and after

Another before and after. I still have to find out why the exhaust is off to the left.

I also found this gem in the engine bay after taking off the cabin air filter to check on the brake fluid, which is gooey and black... I'll do a smoke test to see if anything leaks as I was getting a lean bank 1 and bank 2 code the last time I drove it.

Found more rust...

And some more...

ALL THE RUST!!!

This is all on the left rear door where the rear non-moving window sits. It's a good thing I hate cracking trim or I may have never found this until it was too late. Luckily it's all surface rust, but the parts on the inner part of the door are going to be hard to get at. I think I'm going to spray a bunch of areas of this car with cavity wax to try and avoid rust.

You are insane with the rust repairs, it almost makes me want to do something about rust starting on my car, but like, I just can't find the ambition you have. Keep making progress, this looks awesome so far
    ...also... how low are those coils going? to the bottom right? so you can't even drive it? right? yes? maybe? at least for fun and take a picture of it slammed? yes?

The biggest things for me are I'm extremely tired of working on super rusty vehicles, and it's a lot easier to fix and/or prevent the rust at the start rather than trying to fix it after it's super flaky or there's a hole. Also E39 wagon doors aren't all that easy to come by.

According to KW the range of lowering is 1.4-2.5" for the front and 1.2-2.3" for the rear. I was thinking I'd stick to around a 1.5" front and rear drop. After driving the super low 540i on practically non-existent bump stops for multiple years I'd rather not drive another super low car year round, although I would think the KW's will be a little more comfortable than the K-Sport coils. I also like to enjoy driving and not having to work while driving and I don't want to sacrifice too much more handling considering the rear is already on bags, but those can be easily adjusted through software, so I wouldn't mind slamming it for a picture or two. Although it would be kind of cool to have the lowest BMW wagon in town...

but but.. but.. that 540i was so good.. I bet you can get this thing lower than my wagon

I'm surprised you keep finding rust on a Florida car. Is that gum on those rubber lines, lol? The things you find when you buy a used car... At least it's in good hands now. Keep up the good work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12