Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nabs' E39 Touring Project

Re: Nabs' E39 Touring Project

That spoiler suits the wagon nicely. Great to see this gem getting the royal Nabs treatment, I wouldn't think twice about buying a car off you = )

I did a thing.

I finally found a cheap enough donor M5 down in Toronto last week and drove down on Tuesday to pick it up and was back by the end of Wednesday. It'll be a winter project but I hope to have the drivetrain out in the next few weeks and will be doing a refresh on the engine as the timing is currently not set properly, but I was informed it was never started with the incorrect timing. I'll take a quick peek in the cylinders and if it doesn't look too good then I may do a full rebuild.
    Last edited by Nabs; 11-04-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

It's been a while...

For the new hidden sub enclosure I had to move around some stuff to make sure it fits. This rear fuse panel has its harness running under the this cross member and it gets in the way of the enclosure so I had to pull the fuse panel apart and move everything in front of the cross member as well as move the bracket holding the bottom green relay.

I found out that there was a bracket added in with an extra fuse panel and relay added in. Sure enough it's spliced into the factory harness but it's not really connected to anything. I ended up tracing where all the wires went and ripped most of it out, just have two more wires to follow. I find it super surprising that all these extra wires were run along the factory harness and taped in with it, and it made me second guess if it was actually aftermarket or not. Also for some reason the trigger wire for the aftermarket relay was the factory interior illumination wire and it has some weird resistor piece connecting the two. Anyone have any ideas why this would be there?

Testing the enclosure in it's future home. I had to shave the ribs on the panel so that it would close properly

I also removed all the useless factory nav units so that I could install my sub amp in their place. Just took a piece of aluminum flat bar and drilled a few holes and it was good to go. Once everything was done and put back together it's impossible to tell there's anything underneath

I fixed up the rust on the hatch and also found some more under one of the door trim pieces so that was tackled as well.

Of course the common area of rust in the gas filler area was touched up before and starting to rust again. I didn't bother touching that yet.

For the safety I had to replace all the front control arms and tie rods since all the boots were torn. It was easier to remove the entire knuckle to get at everything.

While I was in there I had to drop the subframe so I could change the oil pan gasket, which took probably close to 6 hours to finish up and my arms were black by the end of it.

My oil filter housing was also leaking quite bad so that had to be done. Just had to remove the alternator then 6 bolts and the whole housing came off. No more oil leaks!

Before I took it for a safety I really wanted to get proper winter tires on the car since the all seasons were horrendous in the snow. In order to do that I had to go dig out the 540 which the Blizzaks were on. I used the other set of wheels I had from my 323 just so the 540 wasn't sitting on blocks.

While I was there I pulled out the quad retrofitted headlights I had on the 540 so that I could swap them over after the safety.

I also had to grab the ABS module off the M5 since the one I had sent out twice for repairs was having the same issue and driving without ABS or traction on all seasons is super sketchy. The M5 hood never latched closed properly but the weight of the snow changed that and I had to pull off a grille and manually move the latches since the hood release cable was obviously broken.

Another member on here picked up a E36 318ti (compact) so I took a look at it for him and we took a few pictures.

Of course right after I had the car safetied the heater core decided to take a dump and I had to pull my entire interior out for a second time to make sure everything dried properly

I found out the entirely cooling system only consisted of water and not a drop of anti-freeze. Somehow the block and rad didn't explode after 2 winters in -40.

I did however have issues with the car running hot after I changed the core and bled the system with proper BMW 50/50 coolant. I figured it was just air in the system so I bled it again and thought that was the end of it.

I took the car on a road trip out to Regina to visit my family. The car ran great up until I hit Manitoba and started driving at slighter faster speeds than legal in Ontario. It overheated for the first time 30 minutes from Winnipeg.

I made it to Winnipeg with no major issues after I let it cool down and figured I would just keep pushing on and made it to Brandon after two more overheating incidents. I decided to go to a car wash and try to cool it down to no avail.

Made it to Regina after a total of 5 overheats and snow during the last hour, which actually helped keep the car cool.

While I was there I changed the spark plugs due to a slight misfire in one cylinder. While they weren't terrible there was some slightly evident wear on the straps.

Once I got home I thought maybe the aux fan wasn't doing it's job and it had play so it rubbed and sounded like a demon so that was changed.

Eventually I found out the issue was the water pump. I guess from the water in the system it caused the impeller to crack around the shaft and not spin properly. When I pulled the pump out there was no impeller as it stayed in the block. Changed that and no more overheating issues.

Last week I went to change back from winter tires and I found both front shocks were leaking badly. I already had KWs sitting on the shelf from last year so I finally got around to installing those. The car rides and handles so much better now that it has fresh shocks. I set the ride height slightly lower than it was, but just at the sport suspension height. I covered the coilovers with some covers and fluid film underneath them to protect from dirt and salt, even though they're stainless.

"Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123