Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: Project: MK5 Campanella Volkswagen GLI

Project: MK5 Campanella Volkswagen GLI

I can't believe I actually have time right now to make a project log, it's feels so nostalgic to be able to do this.

This is my Campanella White 2007 Volkswagen GLI, got it from Acura last year when I still worked there.

The day it was brought home

Eibach lowering springs

There's only mild surface rust on some bolts and a few brackets on the bottom

Factory red calipers

A few months later one of the bulbs started to dim so I got some OSRAM 5000K to replace the factory Philips 4300K

Quite a few months later my brother drove it into a ditch

I put it away for the winter after this as I was not prepared to start working on all of that as this was when I was trying to get the rockers done for the truck. The truck wasn't finish, I ended up storing the Passat because it was too low for winter so I bought another car which the thread for that will be up once I actually do stuff to it, I kept it pretty well factory and some old dude wasn't looking changing lanes and hit me so it's at VW getting a new bumper, which is when I brought the Passat back out in the spring, and then the Passat died on a pothole down Court St. so now I'm driving the GLI again before I had time to fix anything.

Fresh out of the graveyard, removed the bug deflector too

Bumper off again for ghetto repairs until I can buy a new bumper

While I was in there, it's easiest to change headlight bulbs by removing the bumper and taking the entire headlight housing out, so I took advantage of that situation and changed the running lights from normal halogens to to amber halogens so they match the signals (normal on the passenger side, amber on the drivers side) not a huge difference side by side, but when the signal is on you can see that they match significantly better now

Tossed the broken fog light back in, the broken foglight grilles held in with zip-ties, and the bumper brackets held back in place with zip-ties, everything else bolted back in place so it's good enough for now.

Tail light also broke when my brother ditched it

So I bought a new one of those

I decided I would actually pretend I care about this car and paint some stuff, so this is before

After painting the side skirts

After painting the rear valance

And it seems like I lost the close up picture of the front valance, but it doesn't matter, you get the idea, it's not black anymore

Car started shaking driving to work, checked that out and the tread was separating, I was expecting it to happen eventually but I'v been keeping this car on the cheap because I want to get the other car done first for Eurokracy before I start dumping money into this thing.

The tire was well passed it's prime anyway with less than 1/32nd tread left anyway

While I was in there I decided to investigate while my brakes were grinding, I assumed there was barely any pad left or a rock or something, turns out there was NO pad left.

I ordered new rotors and pads front and back which should be in on Friday so I can get that sorted out this weekend. But in the mean time I'm just grinding away to and from work, I also stole the RS4 wheels off the Passat until I can get my tire situation sorted out when I'm back from Montreal.

Oh, and I got a parking ticket the other day where there was no meter or signs.. good ol Thunder Bay

Other than the stuff I was able to find pictures of, I also put in an AutoTech Intake which you can see the video of that here

Stage 1 from Unitronic, and now the headlights are not happy, not sure if it's the igniters or the ballasts but they only stay on for about 30ish seconds and then turn off, won't turn back on unless I turn the car off and back on, they also go out at random times, but I know the bulbs are brand new so that's ruled out, and my ballasts don't appear to have any signs of leaks or damage so I'm assuming the igniters, they're also the next cheapest part in line to replace at only $160 each.. and if they still go out, I'm looking at $300+ per ballast.. which means it's cheaper to redo the headlights with an aftermarket retrofit and actually have better light output for less than repairing the factory headlights.

What else is going on with this thing.. I changed the coilpacks to the Audi R8 red packs, replaced with OEM sparkplugs, coolant flush with G12 from the dealer.. I'm trying to keep this thing cheap until my other car is done, but I'm still not cutting many corners when it comes to OEM parts, the brakes are cheapo eBay specials, but I only use this to go to and from work so I'm not too concerned with how efficient they are, as long as I stop, it's good. Oh and Travis and I spend almost an entire day fighting with the trailer hitch removal.. who puts a trailer hitch on a GLI.. Saved like 30lbs of fuel economy right there.

Future plans, either going to try and repair the factory bumper properly, order the euro front valance, the euro foglight grilles (vented ones) and replace the fogs, or possibly source an aftermarket version of the Thunder Bunny front bumper and disable fogs in VAGCOM to get rid of that god damn warning light telling me my foglights don't work. If the struts blow before winter I'll get some coils, but for now it's sitting the way it is, exhaust is fine, intake is fine, I'm content with the tune, stereo is decent, I wouldn't mind tinting the windows, possibly look into that down the road.

The car is basically done, I don't really have much else to post other than wheels when the other car is done and I can start burning money on this thing, and possibly coils and window tint.
    I just needs to get me to work and make me not want to drive head on into a rock cut, so far, it's doing it's job and quite well, I love driving this thing, stereo is decent enough I don't need to listen to that rear brake pad, and the car is quick enough I can do a pull or two and be content with how the car feels.

The other car will have a much more in depth project log once I get it back from Volkswagen after the repairs are done.
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 05-16-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Re: Project: MK5 Campanella Volkswagen GLI

Looks good Ben! It's nice to see another project thread on the forum again and I always enjoy seeing the body work you do I know it's probably not a popular opinion but I've always kind of liked the look of the MK5 Jettas and Golfs (Rabbits). I also have a set of FXR 3.0s and E46s sitting in my basement if you're looking for a set for cheap-ish.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Nice work Ben! Ur brother really did a number on that car haha
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    I know it's probably not a popular opinion but I've always kind of liked the look of the MK5 Jettas and Golfs (Rabbits).
    Eww.. There is nothing visually appealing about this car, it's just highly unappreciated for what it is, I connect to it on an intellectual level lol

Quote Originally Posted by Yota View Post
    Ur brother really did a number on that car haha
    Yeah, must be genetics.. ditches love cars

I also made a video over the last few weeks when I had some time before work, very minor editing, I didn't have time to go ham with transitions and effects.

I picked up my rotors and pads yesterday, was about to get at it, consulted the bible, I need an M14 triple square to take off the rear caliper hanger.. turns out this tool doesn't exist in town, checked CanadianTire, NAPA, Part Source, Fat Guys was closed by the time I finished hunting but I highly doubt they have it, Canadian Tire didn't even know what I was talking about when I said it's like a Torx bit but with 12 points, and everyone I've asked either doesn't have any, or they have the same set that was floating around at Part Source a few years ago that only goes up to M12..

So, I was going to enjoy the rain and do my brakes tonight but now it looks like I'm making an Amazon Prime order to try and get that socket by next week. I was assuming it was going to be the same witchcraft tools I needed for the Passat, turns out it's a whole other series of witchcraft tools.. I literally can't buy other cars at this point in life because all of my tools are for Volkswagens.

Quote Originally Posted by bANONYMOUS View Post
    I picked up my rotors and pads yesterday, was about to get at it, consulted the bible, I need an M14 triple square to take off the rear caliper hanger.. and everyone I've asked either doesn't have any, or they have the same set that was floating around at Part Source a few years ago that only goes up to M12..
    I have one but I'm not home...
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

God dammit lol

Fat Guys has it.

Honestly, if the rear rotors are fine, leave them. Those carriers are a bitch to get off unless you can get under the control arm with a 4 foot bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkage View Post
    Fat Guys has it.
    Literally the one place I didn't go.. I already ordered a kit off Amazon and the caliper compression tool, so, more grinder till Wednesday now

Quote Originally Posted by dorkage View Post
    if the rear rotors are fine, leave them.
    They are.. not.. fine, at least the left rear isn't anyway, it's warped to hell from that brake being stuck on for so long.
    Last edited by bANONYMOUS; 05-20-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Looks awesome with the colour matched skirts. That shoot behind Silver City, very majestic.