Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: E39 M5 S62B50 teardown and refresh

E39 M5 S62B50 teardown and refresh

As I posted in the wagon thread I picked up a 2000 BMW M5 for cheap to pull the drivetrain to swap into my wagon next spring/summer. I thought I'd start a new thread for the work I'm doing to the car/engjne.

I would love to have started and tested the compression on the engine but unfortunately as I was told by the previous owner, his mechanic wasn't able to set the timing properly after changing the timing guides so it wasn't started and has been sitting ever since. As you can see in the above picture it wasn't all put back together either.

Rather than bother to pull the front timing covers off just to set the timing and run it I decided just to pull the full engine and trans out and go from there. With Black Friday coming up this week I wanted to get the engine out of the car and pull it apart to see what I need to order. I did find however that there's already some very light surface rust on the cams because the valve cover wasn't secured.

Yesterday I started getting it ready to remove and as of today I just have 3 bolts to disconnect the driveshaft, 2 nuts on the motor mounts and the A/C compressor and P/S pump it's ready to come out.

At first I felt bad about pulling apart this car for parts but after seeing all the rust on it I don't feel so bad anymore.

That's all the pictures I have for now but I'm planning on pulling the engine and trans tomorrow and getting it mounted on a stand to start the teardown.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Re: E39 M5 S62B50 teardown and refresh

wow that rim is toast lol, nice find, looking forward to the build.
    WhEn LiFe KnOcKs YoU dOwN, cAlMlY gEt Up, SmIlE aNd PoLiTeLy SaY.... "YoU hIt LiKe A bItCh"

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE View Post
    wow that rim is toast lol
    I like them and even though they're reps they're hard to find replacements so I'm going to see if that place in winnipeg can fix it up.

The first signs I wasn't going to like what I found...

All ready to come out

After having to remove part of manifold on each side it finally is free!

Didn't have a tire so some insulation had to do.

It's so empty. I still need to pull the A/C compressor, power steering pump, steering box and the subframe but I'll leave that until the spring.

Clutch looks like it had lots of life left but the pressure plate is toast

I'm not entirely sure about the flywheel yet. It's a dual mass flywheel so machining is out of the question.

In order to remove the flywheel you need a special T60 torx since the bolts are offset from the holes. I didn't have the special bit and didn't want to pay $60 for so I bought a bit off amazon went to the bench grinder.

The rear main seal looks good but it'll still be changed along with the gasket for the cover above it.

Back to the front! Had to refit the damper to line up the engine at TDC. Once it was at TDC I began to remove the VANOS, which was a PITA since whoever put this thing back together really messed up the timing on the bank 1 (left in picture)

This head looks good

This one not so much

Upon closer inspection I found the exhaust cam on bank 1 has some wear/grinding marks. It's hard to see but it seemed like every lobe had the same marks.

Once I had the VANOS removed I was able to take off the upper timing covers and I was greeted by this... I found 4 pieces of the timing chain guide there. I also found the timing chain tensioner wasn't providing much tension.

In order to remove the lower timing cover I had to remove some bolts hidden by the lower oil pan. I found the rest of the chain guide in there too

Next up was the oil pump. First the cover comes off.

Then I can get at the nut.

Then 4 5mm allen head bolts and it just comes right out.

The tensioner/guide on this didn't look great either

Now the timing cover can finally come off

This is the guide that's missing all the plastic. The big U shaped one was staring to come off the metal as well.

Next up I removed the VANOS hubs so I can get at the chain sprockets

And this is where I left it for the night

I definitely have to remove the one exhaust cam but I'm also thinking of removing the entire bank 1 head since the VANOS timing on that was really messed up and while I've looked in the cylinder with a scope and the valves look ok from the ports I'm still slightly worried there may be damage.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

Good God. Whoever set the timing should have their license revoked. Glad to see you're giving it some very needed love and attention!
    1997 BMW 740iL Arctic Silver Metallic, Decatted - "Silver Bullet"
    SHE AIN'T PRETTY, BUT SHE'S FAST. (FOR A STREET CAR ANYWAY).

So much cam grinding
    FUNCTION >FORM

Randy Probst's take on the BRZ "it's like a BMW and a Lotus had a baby"

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling"