Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention Camera Gurus!!!!!

Attention Camera Gurus!!!!!

so time to start looking to cameras and I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction. i know kevin will chime in and say buy nikon, but I'm looking for the best bang for my buck (not bias to companies). so I'm looking for something that will accept different lenses (most cameras do now) i.e. fish eye, zoom lens, and all that fun stuff. also looking for one that has hd video capabilities. i don't have much for a set budget but id say $1000 is a good range for a good camera.

two of my friends have cannon rebel slr's(thinks thats what they are) and they love them? any other suggestions?.
    Last edited by MarcGSR; 04-29-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Posting Guidelines #3

Re: ATTENTION CAMERA GURUS!!!!!

BUY NIKON!!!!

When I was shopping for mine... Kevin convinced me to get a Nikon D90 and I haven't looked back!! I love the thing!!!! I didn't care about the video quality or features when I was shopping for my camera, but FYI the video on the D90 sucks. It doesn't bother me, but Nikon has some new models and some sweet stuff going on with the video. The video on the D90 sucks because it can't change focus once you start taping. But the new ones can.

I have a D60 and it's amazing. Kevin knows his shit with cameras man.

Canon has better video, hands down. Nikon has better entry level lenses, in pro lenses Canon and Nikon are very close - but that's not in your budget.

T2i or T3 or whatever the recent Rebels are, are actually super good for video and as far as an entry camera goes they'll do everything you want. I'd say go Nikon but Nikon starts getting really good when you start spending more money. D90/D7000 are the mid range, D300s does video but is a 2k body only, and you don't need it.

Rebel body only + Sigma lenses would be my recommendation.. A Sigma 17-70 has served me incredibly well for a few years, walks all over the kit lenses and gives you more versatility (2.8 aperture at the wide end, 4 at the zoom compared to 5.6 with kit lenses, goes to 17mm instead of 18mm and 70mm instead of 55mm..) it's sharper, faster, and cheaper than comparable Nikon/Canon lenses in the same category.. I believe Tbone picked up a 17-70 so maybe he'll chime in with what he thinks as well.

A good wide to normal lens and a good telephoto would be a great combination for you.. Especially something like the 70-200 f/4 Canon lens (awesome.. awesome lens..) would pair excellently with a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.. Obviously this is getting up there in price, but something to consider when you're upgrading in the future.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._f_4L_USM.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._DC_Macro.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

That would be a great kit that wouldn't need to be upgraded for a long, long time... I'd go with the T3i + Sigma 17-70 + a filter (hoya, b+w) and call it a day.. That's a little over a grand and then down the road pick up a 70-200 (used ones are everywhere on Canon forums, and not expensive..)

I hope Dorkage pops in with his opinion as well, he's a Canon shooter and knows them far better than I do, as well as does far, far more video work than I so he can fill you in on that one..

And as for "fish eyes" - I think they're horrifically over used and very seldom necessary.. ultra wides kick the shit out of fisheyes, and for ultra wides the Tokina 11-16 is hands down one of the best for aps-c sensors..

Senior Member test MawlCrawlerDan's Avatar

I have a cannon t2i and love it, the quality and capability of the camera (I find anyway) for what I paid is unreal. I actually havent taken much video but the stuff I have shot is crystal clear and the sound is awesome as well. I think the new "t3 or t3i?" actually have a lower megapixel rating, not sure if that is accurate or not though. Anyway for the price, I am super pleased with the camera.

Megapixels don't mean anything if you're shooting parties, holidays and other facebook content. HD video means more for just sharing and youtubing.

Polaroid ???? No??? Lol

I believe the T3i has more manual controls during video shooting.. I would go with whatever is cleaner at high ISO, and whichever has the best video quality, especially in low light.. As well as auto focus..

I dunno, I think the above list I put together makes the most sense for an entry shooter who will want to upgrade down the road, but wont have to.. You can do what I did and go through 6 lenses in the same range till you finally find one you actually like, or you can just do it almost perfectly right the first time and not throw money away..

i enjoy not tossing money away! price ranges on that set up?.....

Look at the links

625 for a t3i body, 550 for a t2i.. 470 for the Sigma 17-70, 680 for the 70-200 f/4.

From what I've very briefly read, the t3i is better for flashes, you can remote trigger a flash with the camera (which is awesome.. anytime I use flashes they're remotely fired not on camera.. Not important right NOW, but down the road when you pick up a flash you instantly have a feature that's awesome. If you want to remote fire a flash on a T2i you'll need a radio frequency based trigger and receiver.. which gets $$$$$$$$$$...)

T3i has an articulating screen, which is cool for video and doing low, ground shots.. and the video has more manual functions I believe. Aside from that, the T2i and T3i are pretty much the exact same.. Resolution as well..

Funny thing I just found, actually.. is the T2i is faster. It turns on faster, and there is less delay between taking pics. we're talking milliseconds and not a large margin between (252 ms vs. 283 ms)... That being said, a T2i + the 2 lenses above might actually be a better bet..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Rebel_T2i.html
    T2i..

Are you wanting to buy new? Or would you consider buying second hand, I'm extremely on the fence about selling my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by NSRES View Post
    Are you wanting to buy new? Or would you consider buying second hand, I'm extremely on the fence about selling my camera.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	on_fence2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	383

Ahhh neat! Did you draw that after your tree paintings!

so I'm now leaning towards a t3i now where to purchase one?....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast