Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to TBMOTORING

Cool Welcome to TBMOTORING

TBMOTORING.com - Thunder Bay Automotive Enthusiast Club

A community dedicated to people who share a common interest, a love for all things automotive. Feel free to introduce yourself here - by telling us who you are, what you do, and what you drive. Post some pictures if you got them. I'm hoping to see some new faces. To our old members, I'm confident everyone will their way back. Due to technical issues with the previous server, I was unable to restore the old forums. I'm optimistic that we can build this to be even bigger and better! TBMOTORING is hosted on a brand new sever, with much better technology - we use a LightSpeed WebServer with R1Soft hourly backups and a much faster connection. Rest assured, your threads and posts will be floating safely on the interwebs until the earth is destroyed by a meteor strike.

Feel free to explore the site, we have a few changes you may or may not notice right away, some of which I'll be pointing out in the following paragraphs. For example, images hosted directly on our server, will be displayed as thumbnails, by clicking one it will open in it's original size. TBMOTORING.com is operating on the latest version of vBulletin's software. I purchased it when it was released but had to wait for some bugs to be ironed out before using it in a live environment.

I originally wanted to implement an article based front page similar to this layout: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CMS_home.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	37

As you can see, threads which are promoted to articles, show up on the Home page in a news feed style format. However, being brand new software I felt it lacked some functionality and customization. For example, it did not have a robust enough system for pulling current threads onto the Home page. The Recent Threads module runs off a cached system, causing new threads not to show up right away. I spent way too much time trying to get it to function to my liking. Ultimately, I went with a different front page layout, something more familiar and one which I knew will serve the purpose I need, reliably, and do it well.

You'll notice at the top right of the main page, after you've logged in and directly above the Calendar module,
    there is a [ Customize This Page ] link:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	customizethis.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	38

Clicking this will allow you to customize the Home page to your liking. You can drag and drop modules anywhere you please. This allows you to change the layout to suit your individual needs. In the future, I would like to implement a different colored user selectable skin. You will also notice the lack of a chat box. It is on my list of things to get, I have some really nice software already picked out, however, the cost of running on a more reliable host is just over 4x the amount I was paying monthly to host on the old server. When I am able to, I will get a chat box up and running. Feel free to donate - all proceeds will go towards chat box software and hosting costs.

You will notice this symbol on member's post: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rep.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	39

By clicking the 'Add Reputation' button, you can add to that user's reputation. It's a neat way of saying, thanks for the helpful or excellent post. You can view a user's reputation level as little green squares underneath their name on posts. You can also Rate Threads, by giving them a star rating from one to five.

You can rate a thread by going to 'Rate This Thread' on the top right hand area of a thread: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rate.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	40

A thread must have a rating from a minimum of three user before it's star rating will appear to other members. When linking videos, you can click the Click image for larger version. 

Name:	video.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	625 Bytes 
ID:	185 button to embed a video directly into your post, this way users don't have to click a link. There is an image gallery named 'Albums', sort of a new thing for the forums, however, due to the increased cost of being on a better host, we have a lesser amount of disk space. I have given each member 100MB of disk space for hosting attachments, at this point I have set a 2GB limit on the space that all attachments can occupy. Feel free to use any of the other major image hosting websites (http://photobucket.com, http://www.flickr.com, http://imageshack.us) if you have the need for more space. Down the line, perhaps, we can look into increasing disk space and more robust gallery features.

You can now add Tags to threads: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tags.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	41

Tags are single words or phrases, that help users and search engines. search and find threads. 'The' is not a tag, neither is repeating the entire title of the thread. Last but not least, a new set of emoticons. I've touched on some of the forum features, there are a couple of finishing touches still, however, I feel TBMOTORING.com is at a level where nothing should affect the user's experience. Thank you for taking the time to read through this and I hope you enjoy your stay!

Warm Regards,
    Marc

Re: Welcome to TBMOTORING

Lookin good Marc! nice work on the site
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Looks good Marc! Nice to see the site up. Im guessing all of our old forum data was lost with the old server?

Great site Marc. Kudos to you and everyone who contributed to get the site up and running

Glad you threw the switch last night Marc, I was tired of checking the site.

Yah great site good to be back nice job marc!

I'll be honest, I didn't read the OP at all. At least we have a forum that doesn't suck like tbaec.com ....

Thanks for the kudos everyone. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    Looks good Marc! Nice to see the site up. Im guessing all of our old forum data was lost with the old server?
    Read through the first post, it briefly explains what happened with the last forum. Basically, an issue with the old host, all the backups were on that server, which got wiped. I have now moved to a much more reliable host and I keep local backups of EVERYTHING on a separate HDD. It was a bit of work but I know it will pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniD1CK5 View Post
    Great site Marc. Kudos to you and everyone who contributed to get the site up and running
    It was only me. That's why it too so long. It was a lot of late nights and hard work to start from scratch but I have a feeling it will all pay off. I hope everybody likes the new name, it sounds a lot better than a string of letters. This way, you know immediately what the site is about and it makes it much easier to remember the URL when you're telling new people to type it in their browser. Thanks to Neema for the suggestion. I would also like to thank everyone who submitted pictures to me for use in the banners.

A side note, I noticed for some reason new threads are going into the moderation queue, so they must be approved before they show up. I think it was caused by an anti-spam program I had running. I disabled it and approved the awaiting threads. I'll be keeping an eye out, if it happens again. Oh, they joys of a brand new forum.

Thanks for your patience,
    Marc

I really like how the banner changes with new pics etc.. Looks really cool man. Good job so far.

Nice work on the site, looks like a clean fresh tbaec very familiar, now lets see how many people come find it.

Im just so glad its back.. Thanks again Marc for the had work.

Site is looking great! It's good to be back

my life is complete

Finally I have something to do at night lol

Hey how do I get up on the top banner? what do you think guys? DSM and a nice toyota solara? LMAO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast