Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: project Camaro SS brazillian nitemare

project Camaro SS brazillian nitemare

Starting up another one This time for SounDigital front man Murilo (www.soundigital.com.br). Ya ya, its in Brazilian Portuguese - engrish is coming His 2011 SS has:

- every available option
    - biggest VVT cam available
    - full stainless exhaust with headers
    - intake and throttle body
    - full dyno tune
    - numbers show 500+whp on premium fuel

The job is to put a single vented 12" sub in the spare tire well - leaving the factory battery alone (lol). GM decided it was a good idea to put it right in the middle of where the spare tire should go hahahah. Gonna build a fibreglass tub that goes AROUND the battery, making use of every ounce of available airspace. The system:

- factory Boston head unit
    - Rainbow component set up front (http://www.rainbowcaraudio.com/cs265profi.html)
    - subwoofer yet to be determined (likely JL Audio - he's a fan)
    - amplifiers - SounDigital 400.4 for front end and 400.1 for sub duty

Started by building the battery box nice and square - which I got....but its interesting how there isn't a single in-line, straight piece on the box ! That spare tire well is something crooked and undulating.

The amps - holy fuck the amps - words can't describe HOW FUCKING SMALL. Over 95% efficient. Polycarbonate case (yes, plastic - it doesn't get even warm). Very strong output stage. I've attached a pic of the 400.4 beside a typical pop can (not a super Monster Energy sized can.) The rest are of the start of the build. Believe it or not - it took over 3 hours to make a 5 sided box for a battery The step-out at the bottom corner is to accomodate the in-line current sensor stuck on the negative battery cable - the connector is quite large.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nano_small.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery_box_1.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery_box_2.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	300.4 KB 
ID:	723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery_box_3.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	261.7 KB 
ID:	724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery_box_4.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	339.3 KB 
ID:	725
    Last edited by bmoney; 08-19-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Re: project Camaro SS brazillian nitemare

I'm really interested to see where this is going. Very nice choice of amp I must say. Had my eye on those guys for quite some time.

I assume you mean "these guys" as the company SounDigital, and not necessarily the Nano amps, as they are ////just//// released. Prerelease was barely in July For those unsure, SounDigital is the inventor of the "zenon" based amp (google it). They're designs offer the highest power density out there - often by a large margin. They also build the strongest, highest power amps on the planet - and power several of the worlds loudest vehicles and most record holders.

Most of the car audio guys here can picture your typical 1200 wrms monoblock. That amp chassis houses a 5 kilowatt SD amp Yes, 5 times the power. There is no such thing as a free lunch - it takes power to make power. Just cause the amp is small, doesn't mean power comes easy - you still need large battery banks to supply these things That 5 kilowatt amp still needs 4 group 31's behind it to keep it fed.

The Nano's are whole new breed. Highest efficiency on the planet - well into the 90% range. Because of the efficiency, it makes almost no heat. It also doesn't need massive input power (the 500 wrms monblock only needs 10 awg power wire!). Aside from all else - the electrical "strength" is very high - think of that as electrical torque. To say inexpensive chinese 100x4 wrms power is THE SAME as the Nano 100x4 wrms is about equal to saying a 500hp Honda 4 cly is THE SAME as a 500 hp 6 cly road tractor diesel engine. One makes 400 ft lbs, one makes 2200 ft lbs - the irony here is that its the smaller of the two that has the vastly greater torque...You get the idea. They are NOT the same.

Those are pretty neat, would make a great amp for tight quarters like a small truck, or wanting to keep precious storage space available. The fact they are well made amps is all the better. Do you have access to a price breakdown of their line?

Absolutely. Open publishing of pricing on the big stuff is not allowed. The Nanos are surprisingly inexpensive - 250.1 is $190 and 400 series is $295.

That's pretty sick actually. In Spring when I decide to do some stereo work that's more than just a deck in my Jetta I'll drop you a line, would like to pick up something small that wont rob any trunk space.

I was thinking the ARC Audio xdi804

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    That's pretty sick actually. In Spring when I decide to do some stereo work that's more than just a deck in my Jetta I'll drop you a line, would like to pick up something small that wont rob any trunk space.
    Kev, mount on the top of the trunk like I did. Not real loss of trunk space.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

Look at the size of that thing dude, I could pop it where the 6 disc changer is meant to fit and put a sub in that side pocket area.. would be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by exist View Post
    Look at the size of that thing dude, I could pop it where the 6 disc changer is meant to fit and put a sub in that side pocket area.. would be crazy.
    ya the size is definitely gonna help with tucking. Take a look at the last pic - thats 900 wrms of real power sitting on top of a typical car battery. You can do practically anything with these

Quote Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post
    I was thinking the ARC Audio xdi804

I think I'm gonna stay away from the XDi line marc - but its up to you. The last THREE I sold and installed all had issues I had to warranty - two of them issues out of the fucking box. Last one in the last camaro build was doa for fuck sakes. The ONLY advantage that amp has over the SD stuff is the more flexible crossover network. If you can deal without that (most can), the SD is better power, much smaller and more reliable. Just fyi.

edit - if you step into the KS Mini stuff (two lines up) it is FUCKING DROP DEAD AWESOME. Very nice stuff...but not in the same price bracket.

You work with these on the daily, I'll take your advice with first hand experience. These amps are mighty appealing. These SD micro amps make me drool.

Got the trunk taped and laid up, and herniated a few discs getting the tub out of there....there were two "negative" curves at the back that sort of latched the enclosure in place - which didn't dawn on me when laying it up. I was forced to cut the driver rear corner out of the tub to clear the "negative" curve and allow it to wiggle past the passenger side (it had a harness and the neg. batt cable there - so no cutting). Got it out, trimmed the back evenly and thought up a way to "re-wall" the backside. I stapled my fleece to my workbench, then wrapped it up like a stretch and resined it right to the table. Once cured, the staples/resin pulled a slight layer of mdf off the bench and I was left with perfectly shaped walls to work with Reinforced them from the inside and good as new. You can see the repaired areas at the back are white fleece instead of green-backed resin.

I made the battery box fit perfect, and that was a mistake too - as re-seating the tub after is almost impossible. Nothing that my good friend die grinder with 50 grit GreenCorps roloc can't fix in a hurry. I channeled all the wiring openings, and bevelled the square inner edges all the way around. That bitch slips in there now lol.

In retrospect - I'm going to use another installers trick - once again the angle die grinder - with a 1/4" x 1" long flush trim router bit installed - and gonna remove the lid from the battery box. Drill a hole to get the bit into the wood, then pull the trigger and let the bearing ride on the body of the box - allowing for a PERFECT cut away. This is how we cut out the fibreglass stretch on speaker and vent rings and they come out so perfect. This will allow me to staple inside the stretch instead of on top of it - and all the power cables and fusing can come "out the top" instead of having to run underneath and around. Space is too tight and bitchy for that...and this allows for servicing the battery/cables/fuse holder without having to pull the tub (just the false floor).

Just like engineering anything else - you start with an idea and modify

Of course plans changed on the driver - not a single 12 but now a pair of 8's - TangBand 8's to be exact : http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-854. They are from the same OEM as the Adire line was, which was AWESOME. It was pointed out to me that Danley Sound Labs (http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/) uses these exact drivers in some astounding applications. If they're good enough for them, they're good enough for 2 cubes vented to 33 hz in a Camaro

Name:	camaross_6.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	759

Name:	camaross_5.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	450.3 KB 
ID:	758
    Last edited by bmoney; 08-25-2012 at 08:17 PM.

What are you doing with the top of the box where the drivers are being mounted?

gonna be part of a 3 piece stretch - rings at the back of the box angled upwards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast