Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: Problem with 1985 ford f150 302 fuel injected motor (no spark)

Problem with 1985 ford f150 302 fuel injected motor (no spark)

Well I have a 1985 f150
    it has a 302 in it (first year fuel injection),
    I am having issues getting it running, it has no spark
    ive changed the coil, and still nothing, Ive taken the distributor apart and cleaned the electrodes etc aswell.
    ive heard there is a pickup coil inside the distributor in this model and also a ignition control modual (witch i cant find)
    anyone have any ideas?? or willing to come have a look for me?

Re: Problem with 1985 ford f150 302 fuel injected motor (no spark)

Tfi module on the side of the distributor or the ignition box on the inner fender

I was just going to say "sounds like something Cale would know" lol
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

Lol^^. Could be anything but those are known for issues.

thanks cale ill check it out.

ignition box on the fender is my bet

Ignition pickup of PIPs in the distributor are also bad for losing or causing a very weak signal. If you have a noid light the fuel injectors also fire off the pip signal.. If you used a noid light you could use it to eliminate that as a cause of the problem and continue the process of elimination..

Make sure you check for spark as the plugs, spark at the coil, test for 12v going to the coil then the 2 wire connector is facing you the left one should be the 12v supply hot with key on, then to test your pickup TO THE COIL you can use an LED light basically a noid light... and then the second wire going to the coil is the signal wire if you hook the LED light from the POSITIVE terminal and backprobe the connector with a paperclip or something so that the light is between positive and the OPPOSITE WIRE THAT HAS 12V constant! the connector has to be plugged in.. while cranking over if the led flashes you confirmed signal to the coil meaning your pickup and ignition module is good...

After that point if it flashed the coil is bad.. if it didnt flash your control circuits bad meaning you have to test your PIP signal..
    To test your PIP signal your going to use your led light again... but this time you connect it to the POSITIVE battery terminal and the PIP signal on the ignition module. (fender mounted) if you unplug that module and look at the face of the connector with the locking tab at the top of the connector the furthest left will be your PIP signal to the module.
    Plug the connector back in and backprobe (stick the paperclip into the back of the harness making sure you havbe good electrical connection) and hook up the led light between that paperclip and the + battery terminal. If you crank it over and the light flashes.. then you have a bad module.. if it does not flash then you need to start with replacing the pickup..

I cant stress having a good electrical connection enough.. if you dont have a connection and you perform one of these tests the light MAY have lit but say it didnt light becasue of your bad connection.. now your replacing unneccesary parts correct?

Hope that was clear enough and helpful enough... When i read over it is seems a little unorganized and scrambled.. oh well haha good luck.

What he said^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee Rice View Post
    Ignition pickup of PIPs in the distributor are also bad for losing or causing a very weak signal. If you have a noid light the fuel injectors also fire off the pip signal.. If you used a noid light you could use it to eliminate that as a cause of the problem and continue the process of elimination..

Make sure you check for spark as the plugs, spark at the coil, test for 12v going to the coil then the 2 wire connector is facing you the left one should be the 12v supply hot with key on, then to test your pickup TO THE COIL you can use an LED light basically a noid light... and then the second wire going to the coil is the signal wire if you hook the LED light from the POSITIVE terminal and backprobe the connector with a paperclip or something so that the light is between positive and the OPPOSITE WIRE THAT HAS 12V constant! the connector has to be plugged in.. while cranking over if the led flashes you confirmed signal to the coil meaning your pickup and ignition module is good...

After that point if it flashed the coil is bad.. if it didnt flash your control circuits bad meaning you have to test your PIP signal..
    To test your PIP signal your going to use your led light again... but this time you connect it to the POSITIVE battery terminal and the PIP signal on the ignition module. (fender mounted) if you unplug that module and look at the face of the connector with the locking tab at the top of the connector the furthest left will be your PIP signal to the module.
    Plug the connector back in and backprobe (stick the paperclip into the back of the harness making sure you havbe good electrical connection) and hook up the led light between that paperclip and the + battery terminal. If you crank it over and the light flashes.. then you have a bad module.. if it does not flash then you need to start with replacing the pickup..

I cant stress having a good electrical connection enough.. if you dont have a connection and you perform one of these tests the light MAY have lit but say it didnt light becasue of your bad connection.. now your replacing unneccesary parts correct?

Hope that was clear enough and helpful enough... When i read over it is seems a little unorganized and scrambled.. oh well haha good luck.
    thanks maybe i'll get my brother to do this (hes an electrical tech) Im no good at anything like this but it definatly makes sense doing it right rather than replaceing random parts (like i already did .lol I put a brand new coil on it already.)

One very important thing I forgot to mention and as I was sitting down eating I remebered and its bothering me because I dont want you to be led down a path..

When using an LED BECAUSE its a light emitting DIODE electricity only flows through one way... Test the LED to makesure what wire is + and what wire is -

in both those tests the - wire of the LED plugs into the backprobes on the harness and the + goes to the battery +

And you cannot use a standard bulb it will not illuminate fast enough and it could potentially cause to much draw and blow a fuse or cause a module to shut down in defence ORR ull just fry the module.. It must be LED

very important good thing I remembered.

But it is very easy to do as long as you listened to my instruction. You dont need to be an electrical engineer to do this its simple.. plug one wire into the proper position (that ive stated) and the negative in the prroper position that ive also stated, and let the engine crank and watch the light..

Its not difficult. You may need a couple of beer to get the confidence to tackle it perhaps??
    Last edited by Bumblebee Rice; 09-01-2012 at 02:43 PM.

thanks, i apreciate the help... let the nieghbor read this and he had the tool your talking about so he went and did the test for me and my ignition control module is shot, so i'll be replaceing that today, thanks again for the help