Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Thread: mild build - 1994 Honda Prelude

mild build - 1994 Honda Prelude

Head unit - higher end Kenwood Excelon
    Amplifier - Arc Audio XXD4080 (the generation BEFORE the problem ones - whew)
    Front stage - JL Audio CX compo set
    Rear fill - Pioneer Premier 5.25 coaxes
    Subwoofer - Macrom M2 12" subwoofer vented (of course).

Of course Honda thought 5.25's were ok in the doors. I used the factory baffle/spacer as a template, and mister router table helped me duplicate the exterior geometry perfectly. then oversized it, Jasper Jigged the openings and shot them liberally with rubberized undercoating for protection. Amp on the back of the back seat, fits perfect in the little hole they call a passthrough lol.

Overall sounds pretty good - I find JL tweeters to be bright, even -3db attentuation engaged. But the custy loves it. He had a 1995 Prelude I did this exact system in 2 years ago...wrote it off, brought me the car to strip, and now transferred it to this Prelude.

Nothing too magical really...just nice product installed properly that sounds good. I like these ones

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speaker_adapter_1.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	271.2 KB 
ID:	769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speaker_adapter_2.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speaker_adapter_3.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring_1.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	772Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring_2.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amp.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box.JPG 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleaned_up.JPG 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gettin_it_done.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	777

Re: mild build - 1994 Honda Prelude

Have you looked into using active crossovers and biamplification? I biamped the stock speakers from Ben's TDI that I put in the wagon (they come from the factory biamped) and it was a huge upgrade from the normal stock speakers. And it goes insanely loud and I've never had the tweeters or mids clip.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

Absolutely - I've been bi-amping for years. Often the issue is budget - most people are more than happy with a passive x-over and the output they get. This JL set on less than 100 wrms gets ignorant...not sure why we'd want more in his application. I've got a Saturn to build shortly using an RE XXX compo set - and the new SD nano amps...and we're definitely bi-amping those pigs.

Protip, don't use a 65watt x2 amp for tweeters. I can be ear bleeding loud. I had to put the gain to nearly 0 when the mids with a significantly larger amp are much closer to max gain.

Crappy pic of my wagon install before a bit of tidying up. Still have the fullsize spare underneath and the bigger amp really doesn't get warm unless I push it harder than I should.
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

lookin good!

Quote Originally Posted by dorkage View Post
    Protip, don't use a 65watt x2 amp for tweeters. I can be ear bleeding loud. I had to put the gain to nearly 0 when the mids with a significantly larger amp are much closer to max gain.
    I see some sort of electronic xover there - this is the product you used to do a true bi-amp? All xovers have output level adjustment....it is this adjustment you should use to level match the front end. The gain on an amplifier is NOT a volume or level control - it merely matches the amps input rail voltage to the output from the deck. Lower input voltage, higher gain to achieve maximum power. Its adjustable so the amp can make max power with a wide range of input voltages (from the 1.5 volt cheapie deck to the 5-6 volt higher end decks). I would rethink your tuning - turn up the outputs on high/mid outputs on the xover wide open. Turn down gain on each amp to nothing. Play clean music and turn radio up to about 3/4 volume (typically right around where radio's output clips). Unplug the midwoofer amp and work on tweets first - back in the gain slowly until you hear the tweeter in distress - then back it down just a touch. Now unplug tweeter amp and do the same for midwoofer amp. Now reconnect both and use the xover's output level adjustment to attenuate the tweeter to an acceptable level.

This will eliminate ALL possibility of clipping in the signal, as well as power compression. Proper level matching of the gains as above is the cause of about 50% of all bad sounding shit I fix. More gain is not better Neither is less.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkage View Post
    Crappy pic of my wagon install before a bit of tidying up. Still have the fullsize spare underneath and the bigger amp really doesn't get warm unless I push it harder than I should.
    Nice concealment. I would have worried about amplifier heat issues, but you're not having problems so thats good. And the amp being able to "be pushed harder than I should" tells me we need to review your gain settings. What amp is it? Remember a/b amps run hot by design. If its class d and getting hot, you've got other things to look for (voltage drop at high levels??)

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
    ...long post...
    Yeah, it's a cheap Boss crossover, one of the few I can find that was affordable and had high pass, bandpass and low pass filters. The 4 channel is a Phoenix Gold something something and it runs the mids in stereo and the sub in bridged mode. The tweeters are powered by a Clarion 2 channel. I'll play with the gains a bit more, but I haven't heard any clipping on anything minus the sub. I might find a place to hide a Class D amp somewhere and run the 4 channel in 2 channel for just the mids.

Side note, I don't think I'll be able to get those tweeters to clip because my crossover point is around 2kHz and having 60watt per channel with only 2kHz and up is not taxing at all on a amplifier, and if they do clip my ears would probably be bleeding at that point( see this chart http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm#power_dist ). And when I said pushed harder than it should I meant that it is louder than I can personally stand.
    Last edited by dorkage; 09-04-2012 at 12:44 PM.

the crossover frequency has nothing to do with clipping - and will not affect it. At 2khz your tweets are playing down quite a bit - do you find them muddy in lower frequencies? At 60 wrms that amp should have NO problem pushing the shit out of those tweeters. Clipping is not a product of the "kind" of signal its driving - its a function of what we ask the the amp to do (it doesn't know frequencies). If we set our gains wrong, we can connect said amp to a fisher price speaker and it'll be clipping all to hell Did I stress that setting your gains is important?

My guess is that with a fresh/correct tune you'd be surprised how good it will sound....