Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini H1 + 35w 5000k XB35 bulbs + headlight restoration on 2001 Ford Focus

Mini H1 + 35w 5000k XB35 bulbs + headlight restoration on 2001 Ford Focus

There's a pretty common saying over at HidPlanet.com which is, once you go hids, you never go back.. More specifically retrofitted projectors + hids, and every time I drove my fiance's Focus, I could barely tell if the lights were on.. So retro it is.

Start with stock ugly foggy lights.

I used a 3M headlight refinishing kit with sanding pads etc.. Worked great. Start off with the 500 grit pad.

Clean lens off and hit it with the 800 grit pad.

Clean it off again, and wetsand with the 1500 grit pad.

Clean again, and polish with the polishing pad and cream.

Tear the lights out.. For this gen. focus you need to pull the upper rad cover off, grill, 3 bolts above and 1 below for each housing and 1 clip in the back.

Set the oven low for plastic lenses like this, they don't need a lot of heat.

Once the oven is warmed up, set the timer for 8 minutes and pop the housings in.

Peel the lenses apart, wear gloves for this - the sealant is hot and super sticky - getting it all over your hand feels really unpleasant.. Use a plastic pry tool to get the housing started and work your way around.

Bam.. To get all the remaining sticky stock sealant out, put the lens back in the oven for a few minutes and scrape out the sealant when it's warm and soft . It's a PITA when it's cool and dry.

Remove the bulb cover (torx screw) and slide the projector in place. You should go projector > spacer > housing > crush sleeve > lock nut > bulb holder > bulb > clip

Depending on how you want to wire everything up (I went with a 2 relay setup, controlled by the low beam and high beam individually, and just popped the high beam solenoid wires into the H4 plug.)

Test fit your shroud, this is a "Panamera" shroud that has been pretty much cut in half to fit.

I went with the "smoked" style bezel from a different focus headlight setup I had, wasn't a fan of the 'all chrome' look.

Pop everything back in, test wiring, make sure everything is kosher and aim. Measure to where the middle of the projector sits and 25-30 feet away, align the cut off to be about 3" below the original measurement.

Probably clean the car before taking pictures and admiring..

Add subtle bling.

I really like how the panamera shroud has clear parts to it that allow light to bleed out, the extra light gives some extra side illumination at the extreme ends of the cutoff, helps with signs etc.. The light bleed hits the OEM reflector and lights the whole housing up lightly.

Output pictures are the same as the 7x6 housings except there is more colour in the cut off, the cut off is sharper due to the clear plastic lenses, and the overall light output is brighter with the XB35 bulbs.

Re: Mini H1 + 35w 5000k XB35 bulbs + headlight restoration on 2001 Ford Focus

Nice write up, Kev. It's true, once you go HID there is NO going back

It looks like your quite proficient with retrofits and that you enjoy it, too. Retrofit FTW.

Hey Kev, if you want to retrofit projectors on the Subie I won't charge you anything lol

Hahahaha.. If you're serious about the Subie we'll talk numbers depends on how wild you want to go.. RX330's will fit in there? TL's? Want some Osram SVS bulbs for the bright white? Or want to just slide some Mini H1's in there easy as hell and call it a day..

Just to make you mad kev, i just ordered a nice HID upgrade kit for my stock 2GB NON PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS

lol, that's just fine bud. I'm not here to tell people how to do things the right way, or the *repeatedly proven to be the stupidest thing ever* way.

You may change your tune when you pull up next to one of my retrofits and your lights look like they're off

Good choise mike..... hids in a reflector housing wicked..... CAN U SAY SCATTER!!!

Yah there is nothing worse then vehicles with HID's and no projectors. It's like Putting 22's on a hummer.... Pointless!

I'm not going offroading, if the stock bulbs worked, HID's will be close to the same. It can not be any worse than last year with hazed up headlights.

Its not that its going to be bad for you.. well it will be but its for the drivers comming towards u, its blinding for them and annoying as FUCK!!!!!!.... MIKE!

Logic fail. It will also decrease your visibility as well. I hope you don't go over 6000k, if you do it'll probably be cheaper just to but a set of sunglasses for night driving.

Kevin, how much of a difference is there between the H1 and D2S projector?

It isn't that it's pointless, it's that it's fucking brutal for oncoming traffic. You're better off cleaning your lights up and putting in a nice quality halogen bulb, unless you want to do a projector retrofit (which isn't exactly expensive, nor incredibly difficult.. If you don't want to get me to do it, I'll happily give you lots of pointers..)

(last 2 are of my old off road lights (reflector housings))

Compared to..

Thats facing above the cut off of the projector, no glare at all .. No "OH GOD I'M BLIND!" from on coming drivers, and the light distribution crushes reflectors with HIDS..

And Nabs - Mini H1 is easier/smaller/more compact and has better light distribution and better width, but the D2S has a slightly better high beam and more foreground light, the foreground limiter on the H1 is nice in a car as you can just barely see the limiter from inside the car... The H1 also has AMP plugs for the bulbs so if spacing at the back of the housing is a little tight it's way, way easier to connect AMP plugs than a D2S plug. Danny with the Jeep and Cale can jump in on how fun the D2S plugs are to work with in tight quarters.

If you want to go super easy projectors, Mini H1's are the way to go - if you want to go full size, FXR 3.0 are really nice but I personally light the all around performance of the Evo X (Hella 3" lens and bi-xenon) in pics so far.. We'll see how much more I like the EVO when I get them in my headlights... Evo's are less wide than the FXR but way, way better high beam and less streaky in light distribution.. OEM FX35 with a clear lens is a nice choice, too.. or RX330 in bixenon look suuuuuuuuuuuuper nice with a little modding of the shield (curved shield..) and clear lens swap.

Interesting, I may just throw in a set of Mini D2S' if I can't find frames in time to do an full FXR retrofit. I'm assuming I'd need some shroud centric rings to get the E46r shrouds to fit, right? I was always interested in knowing how much a difference there was because I've seen most people use the Mini H1 for quads in the E46, but I had thought that D2S was superior. IIRC Lightwerkz was selling straight D2S plugs along with the regular 90 degree ones.

The Evo's seem to have a really nice high beam and I was curious as to why not too many people use them, I guess it's because it's a bit of a bulky projector. I'm still on the fence about the FXR 3.0. The foreground light seems nice but the reduced width and the high beam don't seem all that great, but I guess with any projector it's a bit personal preference and not all have the same qualities.

E55 with ZKW-R lens

FXR

Mini H1

I believe the Evo X-R (which is just a tuned E55..) has a polished chromed bowl, not a sort've hazey matte bowl the older version Hella's had, so the overall output should be better than original Hella's. The width should be pretty much the same as the FXR 3.0 which is still wider than the Mini D2S and Mini H1. I'm a little torn between FXR 3.0 and Evo X-R still, but I still think the Evo is an overall stronger performing projector for more situations. We'll see when I bring in a pair of each and test thoroughly..

As for going Mini D2S's, I'd go Mini H1 over the D2S if you have no other OEM HID components kicking around (ballasts, bulbs etc.) And yes, you would use shroud centric rings. E46-R shrouds have 2 clips that pretty much immediately break when you touch them with shroud centric rings. I have a pair of E46R shrouds in my dining room actually - you're free to check them out when you get closer to your headlight retro. Doing an FXR retro isn't necessarily much worse than a D2S retro. An extra hour or two.. If you were thinking of doing quads I'd probably have to seriously consider TSX's and Evo X's - awesome low beam (quad low) with a suuuuuuuuuper awesome high beam.. Would be a pretty unreal final product I would think.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you out with

You really have a problem Kevin. Seek help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast