Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 99 passat wagon daily driver project.

99 passat wagon daily driver project.

well finally found a car to replace my dieing cavalier,
    we bought a 1999 vw passat wagon, it has the 1.8 turbo engine with a brand new turbo on it from the dealer. its blue with tan leather interior,
    was put in for a safety and i was suprized at how little it needed,
    what it needed was:
    -licence plate light bulb
    -driver caliper sticking
    -rear wiper doesnt work

so i bought a bulb, new front caliper, and the wiper motor i couldnt find one anywere so i decided to do the rear wiper delete mod.
    i'll let you know how it goes..

the all stock picture is my car (fromt previous owners kijiji ad) and the rest are the same basic car with just a few minor mods like coilovers and wheels...

- - - Updated - - -

i put project in the title because i can never leave a car alone im always adding my own touch to them...lol
    so far basic plans are:
    -a decent set of coil-overs
    -19" audi wheels (same style thats on alberts a4) with 225/35/19 tires
    -badgeless grill
    -tint
    -install my flip up dvd player out of the cavalier (mainly for my daughter) maybe add a couple headrest screens to make it easier for my daughter to watch her movies.

thats it for now, hopeing to get this all done over the winter, then not sure what else i will do to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Attachment 1085 this is the wheels i want on it, the audi a8 wheels
    im just going to order replica 19x8.5's off ebay, they go for around $500 for the set shipped to the border witch is cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

i'll post pictures later on, but the rear wiper delete went well, amazingly easy to do and i kinda cheated a bit, the sites ive found online told me to use soem kinda rubber plug from homedepot that doesnt exactly fit the hole right then cover it in silicone, i went a step further andr and figured out the exact hole size, then went to a old peice of exercise equiptment and took one of the plastic caps off the end and it fit perfectly and nice and tight, it actually turned out looking factory....
    im just on my way out to buy some black calking to seal the inside of it (not that it realy needs it) I just wanna be sure it doesnt leak at all.
    I will post a picture up shortly for all to see...

- - - Updated - - -

Attachment 1088Attachment 1089Attachment 1090
    well here is how it turned out, almost looks factory.

- - - Updated - - -

so quick question, ive never owned a turbo car before and dont have any clue about them, but does the 1.8t have a blow off valve, and if so how come i cant hear it when it shifts?

Re: 99 passat wagon daily driver project.

if im not mistaken all turbo cars need a B.O.V. to function properly. the reason for not hearing it might be because of low boost pressures (5psi and under) could be a recirculated bov (like my engine) and doesn't let the air vent to atmosphere, could also be location of the bov. it could also not even have one because of the low pressures, im sure some kind of guru with v-dubs will chime in.

1.8t doesn't have a bov it has a diverter valve. Www.vwvortex.com go.

thanks kev, gonna have to search it abit more and learn about it, i kinda want the turbo sound so maybe an aftermarket one will make the noise...lol

Check my FS thread
    97 LS 240SX LS376/525hp
    97 Supra 863whp 756wtq - 10.22 @ 142.9mph
    90 Castrol Celica Alltrac 600awhp 571awtq (track car)
    92 Toyota Pickup Lexus V8 supercharged 400hp? TBA

The 99 Passat is 7PSI with a stock tune, keep up with the oil changes! VW approved oils only, the motors slugged up bad!
    If it has a AEB cylinder head, it has much larger ports than any other 1.8t head, but it's useless with the stock tune.

DON'T PUT A BLOW OFF VALVE ON! It will run like shit.
    If you need it scanned I have a legit copy of VCDS.
    Quote Originally Posted by VRsuper6
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

How about leave the turbo sound to turbos pushing more than 7 psi . bov doesn't work on these cars.. Just pull the exhaust off if you want to hear the turbo more

thanks for the info guys,
    im not putting a blow off valve on it, it will mess up the car apparently, but i can get a better diverter that makes the sound its somthing called a hybrid and apparently it works, (still finding more info), sorry kev i just love the turbo sound, i am planning on getting a turbo boost controller (good one not just cheap ebay crap) and turn the boost up a little, maybe replace the injectors the exhaust and maybe even intercooler, but like i said im new to the turbo scene so im just learning,
    i dont want huge boost, just would like to make mild power on stock internals and still be relaible so im not cranking the boost ridiculously..
    i was reading somthing about gettiong the ecu chipped and a tune making a big difference, so now im just trying to figure out what chip there talking about..

dorkage how do i tell if thats the head i have?

Don't get a boost controller, if you actually plan on keeping this car for more than a week, send the ECU away for a tune and safely increase the boost without fucking around the cheap way.
    the inards of the VR is actually filled with babies getting punched in the face repeatedly. this is where the sound comes from, sweet sweet infantile punishment.

hmmm definatly gotta look into this more, i didnt know the turbo was even controlled by the ecu...

this will go one of two ways. cheap ebay engine mods will lead to engine destruction and another thread desperately looking for a replacement...or the car will be for sale in 3 days. either way, not subscribed.

im not doing any engine mods till i learn more about it, and this car is not going forsale it was bought to replace the cavalier witch is just about dead and this passat is just about saftied all i have left to do is replace a bulb and change the brake caliper and it will be put on the road...
    there will be no cheap ebay engine mods thats why im asking people who know more about these cars....

We'll wait it out to see if you keep it. Because you kept the Prelude, right? And the civic? You were keeping that as a daily driver if I recall correctly. How many other cars did you tell use you were keeping. If you have it on the road for more than a month I'll give you proper advice on it. Until then...

thats the difference, none of them other cars even seen the road, and there were problems with each one that i couldnt figure out,
    thats why i broke down and spent ALOT of money on this car with no problems that i have to worry about..
    but thats fair enough i know ive gone through alot of vehicles and said i was keeping each one but didnt, so i know what your sayin.
    this passat will be on the road hopefully within the next week, i just gotta get rid of this flu so i can put the new caliper on and change the bulb.

its a shame to get rid of the cavalier since its been so reliable but its just not worth fixing/changeing the transmision since cavaliers have no value whatsoever.
    bucks auto said they'll give me $250 if i drive it in so i think thats what im gonna do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast