Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

Re: Nabs' Alpine White/Imola Red E46 M3

No just the two shrouds you gave me, I have no idea why but I was thinking somehow they must have melted slightly. It's the very top flat part of the shrouds. Even if I did get the rings I'd still have to find a way to secure them to the shrouds, so I might as well just use 2 small dabs of JB weld on the the projector to hold the shrouds in place.
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

How to: edit posts | post pictures w/ browser | post pictures w/ tapatalk

The rings should sit snug on the projector and not fall off on the road.... "should"... But you usually epoxy (crazy glue seems to suck...) the shroud to the ring.

And that's very weird about the shrouds you got from me, they were never used.. I slid them over my MH1 projectors during mock up and they weren't what I was looking for so I put them in a box and left 'em till I dropped them off to you...

If I Wanna do a retro fit to my civic, how much am I looking to spend? Ive looked at TRS and Lightwerkz, it looks like around 300$, but is there anything else to be considered?

$300 seems right, make sure you contact "exist" on here and see what he can do. Lightwerkz sells the exact same things as TRS but they just offer a retrofitting system which I can tell you costs $$$ but is very good.

If you want something reversible and easy, I would suggest the Mini H1. It is very good for what it is and very easy to put in, exist actually did a DIY HERE. There isn't really much other to consider, everything should be included, but you'd have to ask about the wiring harness (included) which I have no idea about. I went with the FXRs which are better but they will require cutting up your housing and it isn't very difficult, just time consuming. If you are confident with a dremel and don't mind cutting up your headlights, I would say go with those, especially if you can get your hands on another headlight when it comes time to sell, so you can pull out the projectors and put them in your new car or sell them. Check out HIDPlanet as well, lots of good information there and I bet you can find someone who has done a retrofit on a similar car.

In the mean time, enjoy
    "Exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster"

///M3 Journal | E39 540i Journal | Turbo Install | Carbon Roof Time-Lapse Install

i like it! now it really dose look like a angry eye!

Beauty! I wanna see in person and thanks for the tips, appreciate it.

Doesn't look to bad. I'm kind of in the middle on the white. I think it would look awesome with a black to add contrast to your white car. Would be great to see the car in person completed !

That white looks incredible, reminds me of a lot of the Evo retrofits I've been really drooling over (the car, not the projector..) So aggressive, so sharp.. Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Krobsyyy View Post
    Beauty! I wanna see in person and thanks for the tips, appreciate it.
    I'd go with EvoX-R projectors over FXR's, Nabs wont have an issue with the FXR's because he has a halogen high beam as well, but in a standalone projector I find the FXR has an incredibly weak high beam. For a single beam headlight like your Civic I would run Evo's if you want to cut, or Mini H1 or Mini D2S if you don't want to cut. Pretty much the same price.. Mini D2S have a nicer highbeam pattern but Mini H1 have better width and more distance throw.

The biggest thing is using correct bulbs/ballasts with the good projectors.. And spend time tuning the projector (or don't buy the "value" selection and get TRS to do it for you) Proper shield/lens/bulb spacing makes a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference in performance, and proper bulbs outperform dodgy quality bulbs.. If you're going to do a retrofit, do it right

I'm really starting to hate this whole retrofit. I have taken the headlights apart countless time and now the rotational angle of the driver's side headlight is almost impossible to get correct. I spent 4 hours last night readjusting the passenger side and finally got that one correct, but when I tried the driver's side I thought it was right but when I put it back in the car it was off again
    Anyway, I had to leave it in the way it was because I had to go to town and my other vehicle was being used so I had to aim the lights low so I wouldn't blind people but other than that they are great. Another bonus is that now my battery is low and I can't start the car on it's own power so I have to pull that out and recharge it. This project keeps getting better and better. I also found out that the way these bowls are set up, the halogen high beam, no matter what I do, is set to have the hotspot barely above the cutoff of the projectors, and if I try to plug in the high beam socket into the solenoid for the projectors the car assumes the bulbs are out and doesn't give it power half the time so that is useless as well. I have the shrouds painted and had them all set in but now that I had to heat the driver's side to remove the JB weld which was holding it in place the clear coat got too soft and now I have to sand it and re-clear that, plus now my angel eyes do not fit and I damaged the paint on the passenger's side shroud as a result of trying to fit those, but I really don't care enough to pull it out and fix that as it's barely visible.
    On top of all this I found some damage to the driver's side bumper and now I have to take it in to a body shop to get that fixed. I swear this car hates me already.

/rant

Tomorrow I plan on ordering some proper leather cleaner and conditioner and picking up the rest of the wiring supplies I need to wire and program the car correctly for bixenons so that the solenoid is activated through the light control module and so I can get rid of the resistors I am using to avoid hyper flashing of the xenons. So by Monday or Tuesday I should have that done as well as the short shifter, aluminum pedals, brake fluid flush, removal of the clutch delay valve, and painting the calipers black with the ///M logo in the proper colours. If anyone wants to see the car after that I wouldn't mind getting together or you can just see it at the auto slalom next weekend!

Here's a picture of the cutoff, as you can see the passenger's side is pretty level but the driver's side is rotated clockwise. I also think I'm going to paint the headlight bezel white to make the shroud stand out a bit more as you can barely see it since it is so recessed in the housing.

Yep.. I believe I called the rotational adjustment being a pure asshole to deal with.. Fucking nightmare getting that perfect right out of the box.

Don't JB Weld anything 'till you have it in right. Use tape (aluminum tape) and rotate the projector in the car.. Once you get it right, and it's secured with tape in a few spots, start "tacking" it in with JB weld.. Once you have 2 or 3 spots tacked remove the tape and see how it is, then finish going all the way around the projector or use your nut/bolt style and you'll be laughing.

Seen the retrofit in person today at the autox and it looked fantastic. I must say I couldn't pick out /any/ flaws. You did a really great job, Dave.

Looked super mean! Great to see it out today!

Thanks guys, here are some pictures of the final look of the retrofit and some my dad took at the autoslalom.

Senior Member test Curtis_conway's Avatar

I thought you were going to pull off a top 3 finish! What happened, my guess is you were going for it toooo hard and it all went down hill. Oh well next time i'm sure you'll be top 3.

I was really hoping for it, and you are absolutely right. On that last run I tried a bit too hard with changing gears and it definitely didn't go well but that 180 was fun. An more open setup at the auditorium will probably be better for the car, if not the VW is making a comeback! I've actually noticed at almost every event I've been out to so far, by the 4th run I start to slow down.
    Last edited by Nabs; 04-30-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast